Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets see your garage!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage is for tools and projects. The cars live outside where they belong. :)

Garage.jpg

My garage is for tools and projects. The cars live outside where they belong. :)
Cars parked outside where I live become nests for deer mice and pack rats!
Packrat from garage0628cropsf 7-10-12.jpg
^ Pack rat that rode into my garage in a car. Never parked outside overnight again. We have also had problems in the neighborhood with bears breaking into cars or just ripping door handles off — an advantage of the recessed S door handles, I suppose.

Reactions: steele
dgpcolorado said:
Pack rat that rode into my garage in a car. Never parked outside overnight again. We have also had problems in the neighborhood with bears breaking into cars or just ripping door handles off — an advantage of the recessed S door handles, I suppose.

LOL! Cute little bugger there. We're lucky enough to not have any damaging pest issues. We have lots of javalina, deer and fox, but they don't bother anything.

garage or car museum? very nice

Some guys have all the luck eh? Garage 5x the sq footage of my whole house :p

DISCLAIMER: I'm referencing a Rod Stewart song and NOT implying anyone has things they don't deserve. Humor/sarcasm/snark sometimes fails to convey through the internet. I do not intend offense, it's taken not given, and I've given you nothing! :D

Funny I just came across this thread. I've been making a determined effort to reorganize the garage over the last couple of months. There is a junk problem and we've made more than one run to Goodwill, but I realized one of my other problems was the tool box I bought in the early 90s hasn't been doing the job for a while and a fair bit of the clutter is tools and such that didn't have a dedicated home.

I bought a bottom cabinet on Amazon that fit the top box I had. For some reason they shipped it standard UPS and it arrived dented up. They took it back and sent out another one, which arrived in worse shape. The 2nd one looked like it had been dropped from a height on its top. The whole thing was so badly warped the left front wheel was an inch off the ground when the thing was leveled.

Then my father decided to let his house be sold. He's 98 and now in assisted living, though he's still with it mentally, he isn't doing many projects anymore. He has a lifetime of tools that I need to fetch sometime soon. So I expanded my search and bought a much bigger chest which arrived two days ago. I'm just beginning to get stuff into it. When I'm done it will house 3 generations of tools: my grandfather's which my father gave me when I left home, most of my father's, and what I've collected over the years. Then I will probably do some culling.

I'll probably keep my grandfather's, so far all the ones I've put away have fit in one drawer of the new cabinet. He had a big collection himself (he had been a carpenter at Pullman Railcar), but my father had many of them stored at my grandmother's garage when they were renting out her house after she died and a tenant stole quite a few of them. What I do have of his tools have an antique charm. Many of them are literally over a century old.

We can get both cars in the garage, but the rest of it has looked like a rummage sale for years. Currently it looks even worse than usual because I'm in the middle of reorganizing. Hopefully when I'm done it will look presentable and I'll post a picture. The cars both need a bath too. They have an entire winter's road grime on them.

I’m also reorganizing my garage and am planning to buy a cabinet/storage system. Twice, I’ve been told to get the Costco “NewAge” setup. Anybody have experience with these? They look nice and prices are pretty good...

Costco Wholesale

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

When I was looking I saw those on Costco's site. These guys have a wider variety of the same brand and they are currently on sale too:
NewAge Garage Cabinets

I bought my tool cabinet from them and everything went smooth as could be. For many things they have free shipping and delivery by Fedex Freight. The driver took an interest in my Model S and said he had been shopping for a pickup, but now he's rethinking. He was really impressed with the car.

When I was looking I saw those on Costco's site. These guys have a wider variety of the same brand and they are currently on sale too:
NewAge Garage Cabinets

I bought my tool cabinet from them and everything went smooth as could be. For many things they have free shipping and delivery by Fedex Freight. The driver took an interest in my Model S and said he had been shopping for a pickup, but now he's rethinking. He was really impressed with the car.

How was the quality of the products and which did you choose?

Cars parked outside where I live become nests for deer mice and pack rats!
View attachment 284706
^ Pack rat that rode into my garage in a car. Never parked outside overnight again. We have also had problems in the neighborhood with bears breaking into cars or just ripping door handles off — an advantage of the recessed S door handles, I suppose.
Bear break-ins... only in Colorado!

I’m also reorganizing my garage and am planning to buy a cabinet/storage system. Twice, I’ve been told to get the Costco “NewAge” setup. Anybody have experience with these? They look nice and prices are pretty good...

Costco Wholesale

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Just installed my NewAge cabinets last night!! Overall great - the Bold series I got has the thinner sheet metal so bends easily during installation so be careful moving it around. The professional series is thicker and deeper but I didn't want the depth. I'll post some pics.

Reactions: masamitsu
Before Photos - garage slab had degraded (1970's) and water pooled towards the walls. Tried a quick fix by adding some drains but they froze up in winter and just backed up and created more pooling. Got to the point I would squeegee water twice each day out to the lane... something had to be done. So I worked with a concrete company to design slopes under each vehicle so water always pools (especially from snow-melt) under the cars to their own 2'x2'x2' concrete sump pit. Great part is the floor is now dry around the perimeter of the vehicles all winter. Of course... can't stop there - had to finish the paint, order cabinets, hang them on the wall and clean up the clutter. Some of the "junk" in the before pics will go into a storage shed and I still have to put things in cabinets but I took some quick after photos as I finished late last night. This summer I will likely paint the baseboards grey and put a red stripe somewhere. By the way, the paint I used was an industrial grade waterproof paint (epoxy base) and the baseboard is a 10" PVC (plastic) base with caulk so the garage should be fairly water resistant now!

IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG

Then the after photos (not professional and not quite finished - call it "Garage 2.0") :)

IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1117.jpg

And for a little fun... I shot a 3-day time-lapse of the garage slab being removed and re-poured.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Thank you to all of those who put their garages on here earlier for the inspiration... I've been wanting to do this for over 4 years now so this is very rewarding for me.

Just installed my NewAge cabinets last night!! Overall great - the Bold series I got has the thinner sheet metal so bends easily during installation so be careful moving it around. The professional series is thicker and deeper but I didn't want the depth. I'll post some pics.

Yes. The "Bold" series looks great, represents the best value, and is probably more than sufficient for a home garage. I'd like to go look at them in person so I can compare with "Professional" and "Pro" to see if it's worth the price difference.

Thank you to all of those who put their garages on here earlier for the inspiration... I've been wanting to do this for over 4 years now so this is very rewarding for me.
You, sir, are the inspiration. The whole thing looks great and I love that you chose the red cabinet faces. Thanks for sharing.

Couple of questions:
Looks like you mounted on the wall, off floor. Was that difficult?
What kind of deal did you get? From Costco?
Would you go for Bold again?

wow - you definitely get most improved.
Agreed - what a transformation!

How was the quality of the products and which did you choose?

I bought two things from them. I got a small chest from Waterloo that is on a shelf and stores gardening equipment. It's a decent home grade, but the sort of thing you would see at Home Depot. The big chest is from Montezuma and there were reviews of it on another site stricklytoolboxes.com and the pros who work on aircraft and cars for a living who had bought them said they were just one tick below Snap-On for a much lower price.

So far I've found the quality outstanding. Each drawer has a latch so they snap shut (pull up on the handle to open) and the drawer glides are smooth. The gauge of the steel is heavier than other chests I looked at/had too.

My only complaint is it only comes in black, and it can be hard to see everything in the sea of black. But I ordered a magnetic lamp that will be here tomorrow. The top has a lid that opens with a hole in the back for a power cord. I plan to put the chargers for the power tools up there along with the light attached to the inside of the hatch. When I need light, open the hatch and pull the lamp out where I need it (it's a goose neck lamp).

I bought from garage-organization because they were about $400 less than strickylytoolboxes.com.

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR