Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Timing question: My 'Edit Design' link finally disappeared from my Tesla account today, and the 'payment method' field is now open for me to add financial institution loan info. Is it safe to start getting a loan lined up at this point? A lot of these places have approvals that last 30 days, and I don't want to get one going and then find out that the car won't be ready before the loan offer expires. I ordered a non-performance AWD back on June 27, and switched to white interior on July 23.
If you have good credit you could do a rate beat with LightStream, get an unsecured loan, and just have the money in your bank account ready for whenever you take delivery. Worst case scenario you just have to start paying before you get the car.

If you finance through Tesla can you include the sales tax? I haven’t been able to submit my info for financing but I want to plan in case they can’t.

I'm not sure their official stance, or if it might vary by the lender they match you with. But when I filled out the online loan application, it asks for the percent you want to put down, and I wrote in "0". But when the approved financing page showed up the next day, it showed a loan amount of 5K less than the MSRP, so my out of pocket at delivery would have been the taxes and fees (which for me, are about a wash with deposit payments and state incentives), plus another 5K. The rates were better, as well as being able to more accurately choose the requested loan amount, going third party, but I wanted to at least compare.

For Lightstream unsecured loans, am I correct that this is the process people are following?

1. Apply for and get approved for an unsecured loan with Lightstream.
2. Shop around at credit unions and get the lowest auto loan rate possible.
3. With Lightstream’s Rate Beat program, you send Lightstream proof of your approved auto loan from a credit union.
4. Lightstream offers you an unsecured loan at .1% APR less than your credit union auto loan.

Am I correct that Lightstream will allow you to use an auto loan’s interest rate for their Rate Beat with an unsecured loan? Or would it be a typical auto loan with Lightstream in this scenario?

For Lightstream unsecured loans, am I correct that this is the process people are following?

1. Apply for and get approved for an unsecured loan with Lightstream.
2. Shop around at credit unions and get the lowest auto loan rate possible.
3. With Lightstream’s Rate Beat program, you send Lightstream proof of your approved auto loan from a credit union.
4. Lightstream offers you an unsecured loan at .1% APR less than your credit union auto loan.

Am I correct that Lightstream will allow you to use an auto loan’s interest rate for their Rate Beat with an unsecured loan? Or would it be a typical auto loan with Lightstream in this scenario?
Yes, that is correct. Unsecured vs. secured seems to be dependent on your credit score, from what I've read, and not on whether or not you use the rate beat program.

DCU rates are up over the weekend. I spoke to their loan reps just now over the phone. Rates start at 3.24% if you setup direct deposit, can go down to 2.99% for vehicles with FE of 35mpg
Just spoke with DCU about interest rate. I applied last week when the rate was 2.49 (with 0.25 additional discount for EV vehicles). They put me on hold for a few minutes and honored 2.49%. However, they asked me to submit vehicle purchase agreement with VIN on it by this Friday. Currently I am scheduled for Sept 6th. I have emailed my regional sales advisor for VIN. Let's see.

Applied this morning to Lightstream.

Almost instantly got an approval back without needing to provide any documentation, which surprised me as I just changed jobs. Was approved for my requested loan amount for an unsecured vehicle loan at 3.75%.

Now I need to see if Everence can come through with a 2.49% offer that I can take to Lightstream for a rate beat or if I will need to move on to the next best option.

Everence seems to be dragging their feet and has asked for a lot of documentation.

Applied this morning to Lightstream.

Almost instantly got an approval back without needing to provide any documentation, which surprised me as I just changed jobs. Was approved for my requested loan amount for an unsecured vehicle loan at 3.75%.

Now I need to see if Everence can come through with a 2.49% offer that I can take to Lightstream for a rate beat or if I will need to move on to the next best option.

Everence seems to be dragging their feet and has asked for a lot of documentation.
Did Everence ever come through?