Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for having a realistic view of the world. The losses for cancelling an AP1 car at this point is
-2-3 months build time for new car
-Opportunity for Tax Credit 2016 which would allow one to potentially get Tax Credit on a Model 3 in 2017.

But the site is still showing an estimated delivery of December, so you should still be able to get the 2016 tax credit. Even more likely if you re-ordered right after the announcement.

First, the original poster DID say he didn't get what he paid for because he is asking for a $10,000 REFUND for a devalued car based on a product improvement he didn't buy. He is claiming his car is only worth $140,000.

Anybody who's head wasn't under a rock already knew that AP 2.0 was coming out and if they wanted it, they would have to wait. Those who chose not to wait made the decision to take the car sooner rather than get AP 2.0. It is not Tesla's fault that buyers made a fully-informed decision that they now regret. Now they are saying that if they knew the option was coming, they would have waited, but they DID know the option was coming and they DIDN'T choose wait for it. The original poster wants to return his used car for a "full refund", get a "do over" and have Tesla pay for it.

And say that Tesla had announced in advance a date for the Autopilot 2.0 switch over, what about the people who took delivery the day before the announcement? How many years back does Tesla have to go to satisfy everybody? Innovation is just they way life is in a rapidly-advancing technology field.
I fully understand what you are saying.

Yes AP 2.0 was coming out.
Many people knew about it.
And many AP 1.0 buyers thought they could upgrade to it.
If they knew it "wasn't upgradable" many would have waited.

The inability to upgrade from 1.0 wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.
The fact there is a new "super-computer" running it wasn't announced until it was already out.
The fact that there are 8 cameras installed all over the car wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.
The price of AP 2.0 wasn't announced until it was already out.
The fact that cars had exited the production line equipped with 2.0 hardware wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.
The fact that upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0 would be equivalent to changing a spinal conium in a human wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.

These facts were known by Tesla as they were still selling AP 1.0.

It has nothing to do with the fact that people knew it was coming out or not. The big thing about Tesla has been the fact that their cars "have been" upgradable.
If your falcon wing doors aren't working quite right....we will adjust that in software release xyz.
If your maps aren't up to par, or anything in the car isn't up to snuff....wait until software release xyz.
That has been more than satisfactory. It has been absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
But the site is still showing an estimated delivery of December, so you should still be able to get the 2016 tax credit. Even more likely if you re-ordered right after the announcement.

My DS says he hasn't seen ANY AP2 cars arrive yet. Take it what you will on the deadlines. It's not like Fedex where its 10:30AM the next day or its free.

The inability to upgrade wasn't announced until it was already out.
The fact there is a new "super-computer" running it wasn't announced until it was already out.
The fact that there are 8 cameras installed all over the car wasn't announced until it was already out.

I have to disagree with you here. Many informed buyers knew a retrofit would not be available. Now granted I did not know they were adding cameras, super-computer etc.....but assumed AP 2 would be the next step forward. Tesla history shows retrofits are not in their vocabulary.
My S is 2 months old and I remember when I ordered in June many here saying they would wait until 2.0. Good for them. Me? i took the plunge w/o any regrets. Point being I ordered with the full knowledge Tesla will make my car "old" with the next big announcement.

I have to disagree with you here. Many informed buyers knew a retrofit would not be available. Now granted I did not know they were adding cameras, super-computer etc.....but assumed AP 2 would be the next step forward. Tesla history shows retrofits are not in their vocabulary.
My S is 2 months old and I remember when I ordered in June many here saying they would wait until 2.0. Good for them. Me? i took the plunge w/o any regrets. Point being I ordered with the full knowledge Tesla will make my car "old" with the next big announcement.
How would they have known when there was no knowledge of the hardware. There was nothing official on the Tesla website.

Did I miss it? or are we talking about speculation of non-upgradableness?

I'm not asking to disagree with you...I'm asking because I want to know what website to go to for the AP 3.0 announcement or such. I'm serious.

I fully understand what you are saying.

Yes AP 2.0 was coming out.
Many people knew about it.
And many AP 1.0 buyers thought they could upgrade to it.
If they knew it "wasn't upgradable" many would have waited.

The inability to upgrade from 1.0 wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.
The fact that there are 8 cameras installed all over the car wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.
The fact that cars had exited the production line equipped with 2.0 hardware wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.
The fact that upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0 would be equivalent to changing a spinal conium in a human wasn't announced until 2.0 was already out.

Now you're stretching credulity. Ap1.0 certainly couldn't be installed in classic cars (wk057 aside). And if anybody thought that AP1.0 was upgradable then I'm at a loss. Nobody with any understanding of the technology on this website would have suggested that this was possible. And if they did, they were drunk.

I'm starting to think that you're just trolling people here, by saying ridiculous things.

How would they have known when there was no knowledge of the hardware. There was nothing official on the Tesla website.

I assumed. But that assumption was by reading TMC, reading Tesla reports, listening to Elon etc..... Sometimes you have to read between the lines. I'm not saying "I knew" but I did order to purchase in June and 1 day before pick-up in August I changed it to a lease. Elon tweeted "it will blow your mind" sometime in July I think it was. I just did not see how 1 camera and sensors would be good enough and did not see any future retro-fits. My informed opinion only.

At last, someone tells it properly . I totally agree.
But some people just doesn't have empathy.

Releasing P100D, and AP2 just one month later? What were they thinking? Just postpone the P100D release. Now they have many sad P100D owners. IS this what they want?
They've released P100D early in order to make q3 sales better. You know what Tesla, let me tell you a secret. If you can't deliver a car in Q3, it will be delivered on Q4. Why are you pushing sales in every end of the quarter?? In every end of quarter rush, quality lacks.

I have empathy for those of you who just bought before a new feature came out. It does not mean I think you are owed anything or that Tesla did anything wrong. I mean, I empathize with the poor guy dropped his flood insurance last year after paying for it thirty years when he had a mortgage with no claims and then a "1000 year flood event" destroyed his home 4 months later. I don't think FEMA owes him anything though.

Reactions: Pdub2015
Ok.. lets consider the fact that I am not an adult with an average IQ. I suppose insults and name calling is adult like.

Now we are all happy. I don't care.

He didn't insult you. He just pointed out the facts. If you are saying you did not realize those things were common knowledge maybe you should have someone else help you with major purchase decisions/advice or do more research before committing?

Ok.. lets consider the fact that I am not an adult with an average IQ. I suppose insults and name calling is adult like.

Now we are all happy. I don't care.

If you're insulted then that's because you wanted to be. Go back and reread what I posted, there's not one name calling in that post. NOT. ONE.

It's obvious you do care and you're not happy. Stating otherwise doesn't fool me.

I don't understand why folks here are so on the side of defending a company.

A company with dis-satisfied customers isn't a good company. I can't imagine what its going to look like when they do this to a mass market vehicle such as the M3 - with people who are counting pennies just to get one in their driveway. Good luck.

Here is the problem: We have been told so many times "The Customer is Always Right". That is one of the most idiotic statements ever. There is some meaning behind it that is true, in the respect that the customer votes with his wallet but it has been twisted to make customers thing they are "entitled" to whatever they want by virtue of being a customer. That's stupid and incorrect. Sorry you are dis-satisfied (really I am), but this is not the first, not the second, not even the third time this has happened with Tesla and this upgrade was much more telegraphed than most previous ones so you should really think about what really is the blame for your unhappiness. You remind me of a guy last Holiday season who placed an order just over a week before Christmas and thought that based on our location and his it would take about a week to arrive to him. His assumption was wrong because we shipped it from a vendor closer to him and he got it in 2 days. Unfortunately, he was not anticipating it and because it arrived too soon he did not take care to intercept it before the kids got home and they saw it on the front porch. He called and left the nastiest voicemail about how we "ruined his children's Christmas". No call to make sure when it would arrive, no call to ask if we could somehow put it into a plain box or otherwise conceal what it was. The analogy is this: Tesla delivered an upgrade too quickly for you and you are unhappy. If they waited until the Model 3 was released you would be fine with it but they exceeded your expectations and it upset you.

I'm just quoting Mr. Elon musk's announcement when he says that "After Today" every delivery will contain AP2 hardware.

MPMike 'disliked' (whatever) my post because I said if you cancelled your AP1 delivery today and placed an AP2 delivery I think you would be putting the 2016 Tax Credit at risk which 'could' snowball down to a Model 3.

Because the DS has not seen any AP2 deliveries and there is some still in the queue I am unsure if Tesla can still make end of year deliveries. Thanksgiving and Christmas are slow periods in Silicon Valley.

I'm not making simple emotional statements. They are significant financial woes included in what I'm saying.

I pay you $150K for "THE LATEST AND THE GREATEST" - while you know something greater has already exited the production line. That's not simply emotional.

I know you understand what I'm saying. Even though you disagree....your posts are to educated not to understand what I'm saying.

You got the latest and the greatest that was available at the time you placed your order. I mean, in the context of what you are saying, if I order a new Corvette today, and 3-4 years from now they come out with the Mid-Engine model (that we know they are working on now) should I feel wronged? I mean, it's in development so why wasn't I sold that item instead? i just bought my son an iPhone7 but I know they are working on the next model so why am I not getting that? I really feel for your situation but I don't think Tesla wronged you by delivering what you ordered.

You got the latest and the greatest that was available at the time you placed your order. I mean, in the context of what you are saying, if I order a new Corvette today, and 3-4 years from now they come out with the Mid-Engine model (that we know they are working on now) should I feel wronged? I mean, it's in development so why wasn't I sold that item instead? i just bought my son an iPhone7 but I know they are working on the next model so why am I not getting that? I really feel for your situation but I don't think Tesla wronged you by delivering what you ordered.
3-4 years of separation between upgrades are just fine in my opinion concerning this situation. In the rest of my posts you will see the details behind

Tesla is still shipping non-upgradable AP1.0's right now. Even though AP2.0 is out ( according to Elon ). People are still waiting for delivery of their outdated non-upgradable AP 1.0's.

It would be interesting if a person waiting for a $150K AP 1.0 Model S would chime in saying that "I knew I wouldn't be able to upgrade to AP 2.0, however I bought the car anyway".