Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be interesting if a person waiting for a $150K AP 1.0 Model S would chime in saying that "I knew I wouldn't be able to upgrade to AP 2.0, however I bought the car anyway".
I can imagine most people have no idea that AP2 is released.
Or, when they asked their delivery advisor, the advisor may say something like:" Oh, it is more expensive and not working yet anyway, you'll be able to use autopilot today, cheaper." and convince a standard buyer.

Here is the problem: We have been told so many times "The Customer is Always Right". That is one of the most idiotic statements ever. There is some meaning behind it that is true, in the respect that the customer votes with his wallet but it has been twisted to make customers thing they are "entitled" to whatever they want by virtue of being a customer. That's stupid and incorrect. Sorry you are dis-satisfied (really I am), but this is not the first, not the second, not even the third time this has happened with Tesla and this upgrade was much more telegraphed than most previous ones so you should really think about what really is the blame for your unhappiness. You remind me of a guy last Holiday season who placed an order just over a week before Christmas and thought that based on our location and his it would take about a week to arrive to him. His assumption was wrong because we shipped it from a vendor closer to him and he got it in 2 days. Unfortunately, he was not anticipating it and because it arrived too soon he did not take care to intercept it before the kids got home and they saw it on the front porch. He called and left the nastiest voicemail about how we "ruined his children's Christmas". No call to make sure when it would arrive, no call to ask if we could somehow put it into a plain box or otherwise conceal what it was. The analogy is this: Tesla delivered an upgrade too quickly for you and you are unhappy. If they waited until the Model 3 was released you would be fine with it but they exceeded your expectations and it upset you.
I'm not unhappy.

If you feel Tesla did right....then ok.

Or, when they asked their delivery advisor, the advisor may say something like:" Oh, it is more expensive and not working yet anyway, you'll be able to use autopilot today, cheaper." and convince a standard buyer.
That could be....

I'm not sure that a Tesla Delivery Advisor would intentionally mislead anyone. I have a difficult time believing that. I know you aren't saying that at all....I'm just commenting.

How did we go from "Tesla didn't tell me they were planning to upgrade AP a week / month / quarter ago before I ordered my car and now I'm mad" to "Tesla is selling people AP1 cars even though AP2 is released?".

We know that the former is true, but most of us contest the idea that Tesla did anything wrong.

That second part - where does that come from? That sounds like somebody simply made that one up. Elon stated that as of the day of the announcement, every car coming off the line had AP2 hardware. He did NOT say "except for those guys that ordered their car and only paid for AP1, because we plan to build their car and totally screw them."

You CANNOT go into a Tesla store today and buy anything except an inventory car and NOT get AP2. And that decision - do I buy an inventory car with AP1 or go for AP2 - that's up to the buyer. Your intimation that Tesla is intentionally tricking customers into buying AP1 cars even though AP2 is out is something you'll need to put some evidence to.

Reactions: brianman
Would you have purchased AP 1.0 if you could have?

Why can't I? All I need to do is upgrade. If you mean retrofit, no. But that's only because I got an AP loaner for a week and took it to my cabin and back -- all on AP. It's a windy mountain highway, and I just couldn't relax. It went into the corners too fast, then braked too hard -- because it can't see far enough ahead. But overall it worked great. I decided to wait for 2.0 to upgrade and now that 2.0 will take some time to implement, I've decided to wait until I get the Model 3. I still really like my Classic large frunk, 80 amp chargers, S. Tesla offered me chicken scratch for it on a trade-in so I'll just keep it and get rid of our Leaf.

What is a folding out drone propeller? That went over my head.

It was a joke suggesting that with advancements the vehicles will become...

You'll probably take a hit on range, but if you're stuck in traffic, a flip of the switch and you just hover over it.

How did we go from "Tesla didn't tell me they were planning to upgrade AP a week / month / quarter ago before I ordered my car and now I'm mad" to "Tesla is selling people AP1 cars even though AP2 is released?".

We know that the former is true, but most of us contest the idea that Tesla did anything wrong.

That second part - where does that come from? That sounds like somebody simply made that one up. Elon stated that as of the day of the announcement, every car coming off the line had AP2 hardware. He did NOT say "except for those guys that ordered their car and only paid for AP1, because we plan to build their car and totally screw them."

You CANNOT go into a Tesla store today and buy anything except an inventory car and NOT get AP2. And that decision - do I buy an inventory car with AP1 or go for AP2 - that's up to the buyer. Your intimation that Tesla is intentionally tricking customers into buying AP1 cars even though AP2 is out is something you'll need to put some evidence to.
Its a both / and statement.
I didn't say that Tesla didn't say they were planning AP 2.0.

My statements are this.
Tesla didn't say when they were updating to 2.0. That's why the reveal was a surprise.
They didn't say that it 1.0 was upgradable
Tesla is still shipping outdated 1.0 even though 2.0 is out.

They are all true.

Outdated is the wrong term. Obsolete is also wrong. These two words are thrown around quite a bit on TMC, I'm assuming because people don't understand their definition. Either that, or it's like Louis C.K. says in his "The Way We Talk" bit from "Hilarious," which is that we go right to the top with our words now. I won't link to it, because it does include some NSFW/off-color comedy, but the gist is that we say things like:

"It was amazing!"
"It was hilarious!"
"It was outrageous!"
"It is obsolete!" ;)