Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 2 at home or just Supercharge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be getting my Y at the end of the month and I've been calling electricians about installing a 240V outlet in my garage. The prices have been pretty high: $500-$600.

My question is: I live 4 miles from a Supercharger. It's at a Wawa I go to frequently. I only drive about 15 miles a day in town. Am I better off just sticking with the Level 1 charger and Supercharging only when I need it instead of getting a Level 2 outlet?

Thanks!
def pay the money, home charging, waking up to a fully charged vehicle, and loosing the dynamic of going to a gas station are profound
once you pay and experience home charging, you will def agree
SC charging is for trips...home charging is for smiles

I did some research and apparently, mobile connector and wall connector charge the car at home at the same speed?
That's some questionable research, because the answers could be:
1. No
2. Yes
3. Maybe
4. Who knows?
5. It depends

Both the mobile and the wall connectors can charge at many different levels, depending on what kind of circuit they are connected to and how they are configured. There is some overlap, so they may be at the same level or may not be. We need more detail.

Mobile connectors can be used with a variety of pigtails for either 120 or 240 V and of varying amps. So the charging speed for the mobile connector is dependent on plug type. Best bang for your buck is usually to install a 240 V plug for a mobile connector. I think the wall connector is a sleeker setup.

View attachment 1022893
The person asking is in Australia, so those aren't the right ones. Those are North America plugs. But generally, yes, there probably are multiple plug types for the mobile connector.