Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lexus has seen the future ... and ... I have no words

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, in March 2016, Tesla unveiled the dashboard and control interface concept for the Model 3: a single LCD panel to control almost every aspect of the car's functionality, and a smooth, unbroken dash. Having seen the future, Lexus, for the dash for its brand new NX300h has come back with ... this:

upload-lexus_nx_2018_172_300_F_Sport-pic4_zoom-1500x1500-1619.jpg

There is much that could be said about this tightly packed showcase of every button and knob design ever used in any car ever, and as tempted as I am to mention the CD player, the tiny incongruous analog clock, and paddle shifters, what I really want is to call out one thing: That display? It isn't a touch-screen. It is operated by a trackpad on the center console. Because touch-screens are for losers.

---

Why will the big auto companies, with their vastly greater resources, not crush Tesla? This is why.

So, in March 2016, Tesla unveiled the dashboard and control interface concept for the Model 3: a single LCD panel to control almost every aspect of the car's functionality, and a smooth, unbroken dash. Having seen the future, Lexus, for the dash for its brand new NX300h has come back with ... this:

There is much that could be said about this tightly packed showcase of every button and knob design ever used in any car ever, and as tempted as I am to mention the CD player, the tiny incongruous analog clock, and paddle shifters, what I really want is to call out one thing: That display? It isn't a touch-screen. It is operated by a trackpad on the center console. Because touch-screens are for losers.

---

Why will the big auto companies, with their vastly greater resources, not crush Tesla? This is why.
A track pad? FFS nobody likes those. Such a weird choice considering the cost of a touch screen is definitely cheaper than a regular screen PLUS the track pad crap.

---

I do not know if I would agree with view on that. If interface is controlled (like this one) with limited options, it is always easy to interact with a jog dial, rotary control, esp while driving. Ofcourse it would be expensive compared to cheaper touch screen.

Think of frustrating Climate control in Model 3, think of meaningless button for transmission selector switched on Acura.
Tactile feed back, positive control of settings, able to use muscle memory is always easy using physical controls ergonomically. Think of Gear selector on typical automatic, you know the gear by feel, you do not need to look at that stick, neither need to confirm what you selected is correct.

UX design/Ergonomics designers can probably throw more light than me though. I am giving my feed back based on experience with various cars over the years.

When I see all those buttons I have to think to myself, "Geez, why didn't someone think of the Model 3 control system sooner." And "Why did we put up with that all these years?" Tablets have been around for quite a while now, so it's not like some brilliant completely new technology had to be invented. The trend in aircraft is also toward computerized controls instead of a million buttons, switches and gauges (as you probably all know.)

Reactions: Pkmmte
Sure, I hear that all the time on various forums. Please yes, let's turn H20 in H2 with lots of electricity, then ship somewhere, put it in a car and turn it back into ELECTRICITY! That makes so much sense.
Literally no one else in the industry thinks fool cells will be a thing except Toyota but they seem hellbent on driving their company off a cliff trying to push the things. I don't get it.

Reactions: dhanson865
Literally no one else in the industry thinks fool cells will be a thing except Toyota but they seem hellbent on driving their company off a cliff trying to push the things. I don't get it.
The only reason I can see this as a good idea would be if battery technology were not making any forward progress, but it is and it's much less complex than any fuel cell architecture I can think of. Does anyone think that battery EVs with a range of 500 or 600 miles and faster charging times aren't coming? I sure think they will get there, probably within 10-15 years. There will probably be a big price drop for battery capacity as well.