Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery, charge to 100% each night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking for some advice. I’ve picked up my new MIC SR+ today. Build quality is superb. The battery is LFP based and the charge screen shows 100% available on the charging scale. The car even had 98% charge when I collected it.

What’s the recommended charging routine for the LFP? Can I charge to 100% most nights without fear of battery degrading? I intend to keep the car for at least 5/6 years.

View attachment 647646
If you have the LFP battery yes 100% is recommended and stated by Elon NCA battery cars is where the 80/90% comes from. Charge to 100% as the new battery was designed you just won’t get full regen breaking at 100%

Hi all,
I'm getting my SR in a couple weeks so have been reading this helpful thread.

My situation is 4 days a week we typically only drive 8km a day (4km round trip in morn and 4km in afternoon), one other weekday maybe 20km, weekends we'd drive maybe 70km. So I'd say about 130km (80 miles) a week. Given that's less than a full charge, should I still top up to 100% once a week or should I be plugging it in every say 3 days or so to get it up to 100%.

I've got solar at home so I could charge during the day (car's in the garage anyway) and at this stage thinking the 15amp tail would be sufficient.
Thanks

With the driving you’re doing (or not as it appears) you’ll need to only charge once a month!
Jokes aside, my daily commute uses 50% so I set a limit of 80% and top up to that regularly. If the suns out and I’m not consuming much of the solar, I’ll put it up to 90% or once a week 100%
I only do the 100% if I know I will be using the car within a few hours of it reaching 100%

In your case, pick a limit that you want to top it up to (a million opinions on what that limit should be, I won’t comment) and top it up to that each day with your solar. Every so often take it to 100% as per the manual.

Enjoy the new toy!

Hi all,

My situation is 4 days a week we typically only drive 8km a day (4km round trip in morn and 4km in afternoon), one other weekday maybe 20km, weekends we'd drive maybe 70km. So I'd say about 130km (80 miles) a week. Given that's less than a full charge, should I still top up to 100% once a week or should I be plugging it in every say 3 days or so to get it up to 100%.

I've got solar at home so I could charge during the day (car's in the garage anyway) and at this stage thinking the 15amp tail would be sufficient.
Thanks
I can’t see it really making a difference which option you go with. Just charge to 100% at least once a week to maintain battery calibration, but there is no reason to run down the battery before doing a large recharge so makes sense to get into the habit of plugging in regularly.

Reactions: Adopado and Leeroy
It means there's always a reasonable charge should an unexpected journey occur.
This.

It will be a very unusual person who doesn't occasionally require to make a short notice, unplanned journey. In a fuel car, even with a nearly empty tank, you have the option of a quick top up if something comes up. Unless you live very close to a Supercharger it's going to take quite a while if you let the battery go low before charging... meanwhile elderly auntie Susan is still lying on the kitchen floor ...

I asked Tesla support about best SOC for the LFP battery if I leave the car more than a week. This was their response.

Thank you for contacting Tesla support.

If your vehicle has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends you charge the vehicle to 100% and keep the vehicle plugged in, this way you would be able to preserve the High Voltage and Low Voltage (12V) Battery. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for being a part of Tesla community

I have a little bit of a doubt, but have no really good information. From independent studies on LFP batteries we know that regularly cycling the battery up to 100% with moderate currents, like AC charging, does not cause any significant degradation. In cooler temperatures, like 15°C = 59°F, the degradation is outstandingly low, allowing for millions of miles of driving with only minimal degradation.

What I do not know yet is how much degradation is caused by keeping the battery at 100% for days, such as Tesla recommends in the preceding message. From that message I can only deduce that the degradation over the warranty period will be less than 30%, the warranty limit. It does not indicate, however, what I should do to keep the degradation to less than 20% over 20 years of normal use, to give one example.

For comparison, my previous car, a Mercedes 190E, was 30 years old when I sold it off. Still drove very nicely. Still got a reasonable price for it.

In the absence of any firm information I will probably limit my charge to 80% or 90% when I expect not to drive the car soon, like on the next day. I will gladly charge to 100% before any longer drive. Whether that is optimal or not I would like to know.

In the absence of any firm information I will probably limit my charge to 80% or 90% when I expect not to drive the car soon, like on the next day. I will gladly charge to 100% before any longer drive. Whether that is optimal or not I would like to know.
This is a good thread for that discussion. Seems there isn't reliable information available yet to draw a conclusion but the more knowledgeable people on this thread believe there will be accelerated calendar ageing/degradation at higher charge levels:

As an aside, rumours are starting in Germany that new cars with LFP batteries and the new Li-Ion low voltage battery can get caught out with low voltage battery going flat within 20 mins if the main battery falls below 10%. The fix seems relatively easy as a 100% charge will calibrate the main battery pack and helps insure it can charge the low voltage battery, as does keeping the battery above 10%. Might be worth at least one 100% charge a month to maintain the calibration.

Hi all,

Thanks
I do similar milage and use the 3pin adaptor on a timed socket 00:30-04:30 using Octopus Go at 5 pence a KWhr with the max setting at 90% (approx 44miles a charge). I top up to 100% on the local supermarket free 22kw chargers when I do my weekly shopping. For those who are going to state I should leave these chargers to people who cannot charge at home I have had the car since September and have only once seen anybody using this one of two free chargers once and the same for the six free chargers (4*7.5 & 2* 22kw) in the supermarket next to this one. Being a Yorkshireman I cannot resist free when I'm there anyway and it would break my heart to see this freely supplied infrastructure not used 😂🤣😂