Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery, charge to 100% each night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, there's no point charging to 100%, if it's a true 100%, as you'll lose regen, as others have said - which is an inconvenience, rather than a benefit.
I'd agree on a daily basis, but Tesla 'recommends' that you charge to 100% once per week. If you never did this could you end up in a not covered under warranty discussion should you have a problem?

Yes I agree with you about the charge rate. I took some YouTube videos showing the regen capability from 100%. The deceleration was exactly it usually is when less than full, BUT after I took the video I had a look at the energy graph and the amount that went back into the battery was 0 until it hit 92%
I can only assume the regen is put out as waste heat as a guess??
I don’t think there any other way to explain how it’s providing the regen resistance like normal but not charging the battery.

Attachments

• 8F7644D7-DBA5-4EF4-A10C-73EE1C0CC117.jpeg
    8F7644D7-DBA5-4EF4-A10C-73EE1C0CC117.jpeg
    606.4 KB · Views: 121
It's more about the amount of regeneration that's available, as the charge rate is low when the battery is almost full.
I don't think regen produces anything close to the same rate of charging as a 7KW home charger. Say you can regen at 100Wh/km (optimistic) and stop in 10s over 20m, that would be a charge rate of 0.7KW. I suspect the reason Tesla's with Panasonic batteries limit regen above 90% in the BMS is to prevent the discharge/charge on a full cell from damaging the cells. Seems quite likely that the LFE batteries, with a larger top buffer don't have this concern, as per the owners comments on this thread.

Yes I agree with you about the charge rate. I took some YouTube videos showing the regen capability from 100%. The deceleration was exactly it usually is when less than full, BUT after I took the video I had a look at the energy graph and the amount that went back into the battery was 0 until it hit 92%
I can only assume the regen is put out as waste heat as a guess??
I don’t think there any other way to explain how it’s providing the regen resistance like normal but not charging the battery.

Maybe it was heating the battery, and the graph is purely in/out of the battery? Do you see the same when starting to drive at a lower SOC?

I don't think regen produces anything close to the same rate of charging as a 7KW home charger. Say you can regen at 100Wh/km (optimistic) and stop in 10s over 20m, that would be a charge rate of 0.7KW. I suspect the reason Tesla's with Panasonic batteries limit regen above 90% in the BMS is to prevent the discharge/charge on a full cell from damaging the cells. Seems quite likely that the LFE batteries, with a larger top buffer don't have this concern, as per the owners comments on this thread.
Regen can easily hit around 50kW. You can see the in/out energy from the battery in the model S/X and the dial goes up to 300kW out and (I think) 50kW in.
Back of a fag packet calculations shows a 1800Kg car (payload excluded) travelling at 70Km/h to have a kinetic energy of roughly 350kJ (numbers have been rounded).
350kJ is around 95wh, which is about 5.7kW/minute. Assuming we decelerate the car from that speed over a period of 15 seconds, that’s a energy loss of roughly 25kW. Assuming a 90% efficiency, that’s 22kW into the battery. Hence it not being happy when very cold or very full.
Obviously just rough numbers and didn’t account for drag or other losses but you get the idea. Unless I’ve made some glaring mistakes, obviously :)

Last edited:
I have charged my MIC LFP SR+ to 100% each charge (weekly so far as not driving much). Each time I have still had regen, even at the start of my 3 mile “commute”.

I have seen the ”reduced regen” warning, but I still had that this morning and again this afternoon when I started with a 75% SoC on the battery, so I’d suggest that’s more to do with the battery being cold (it being lower that 7 deg C for my drive home).
This is exactly what I’m finding.

Always charge to 100%, just like my Ioniq and Leaf before that.

What does the car screen 'suggest' for daily use? When you click 'Set Limit' on the charge screen there's a Daily and Trip Indicator.
Assumingly if Tesla recommends charging up to 100% on the new LFP pack the daily limit should be 95%+

Curious to see if it's any different.
I've had my car for less than a week but I was told you can tell you have an LFP battery if there is no daily/trip distinction on the charging screen. That is the case for me.

I've had my car for less than a week but I was told you can tell you have an LFP battery if there is no daily/trip distinction on the charging screen. That is the case for me.
Is this correct? I've been trying to work out if my Sept 21 M3 SR+ has the LFP battery or not. I've just set the limit to 100% tonight for the first time and didn't get any warning about it. The range shows it will get to 262 but i thought the LFP batteries were slightly less

Is this correct? I've been trying to work out if my Sept 21 M3 SR+ has the LFP battery or not. I've just set the limit to 100% tonight for the first time and didn't get any warning about it. The range shows it will get to 262 but i thought the LFP batteries were slightly less
All new UK SR+ have LFP battery. Enjoy your new car! Do not put too much store by the range figure. Many factors will affect the range: temperature, wind, rain, gradients, driving style, driving speed, road types etc etc. Keep an eye on your Wh/mile consumption to gain an understanding of what you can expect in different circumstances.

Reactions: HenryT
All new UK SR+ have LFP battery. Enjoy your new car! Do not put too much store by the range figure. Many factors will affect the range: temperature, wind, rain, gradients, driving style, driving speed, road types etc etc. Keep an eye on your Wh/mile consumption to gain an understanding of what you can expect in different circumstances.
Thanks. Glad to confirm what i was thinking. Yes i understand range varies massively depending on a number of factors, i only mentioned that figure because i thought the max of LFP would be 253 ish so for a second thought i could have the older batteries

Will the UK MIC LR have the LFP batteries? I’m sure I read on another sub forum that there were M3 LR’s in Spain.

My local sales advisor suggested that the LRs were all the lithium ion type and this was a good reason to go with the SR+. His advice being that due to my usage pattern I could basically live with the SR+ much more easily.