Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP Battery Pack for Old Model S Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the already have, essentially. My MCU1/AP1 car never got a 2021 release. I got 2020.48.37 at the beginning of Feb 2021. I got 2020.48.37.x releases in late Feb, May, July, and Oct; currently on 2020.48.37.8.

Not that that's a bad thing - I have no bugs that need fixing (that impact me anyway), so new releases are just extraneous crap, UI changes, pointless games, or new bugs.
I am very happy with 37.8 as well. Nothing to fix and MCU1/AP1 are great as they are. Even if I update to MCU2 I will ask them to install 37.8 again..

Pretty sure the Model 3's that have it have slightly more range but slightly reduced 0 to 60. I would assume the same would apply for any car as the change was the battery to LFP and nothing else.

The car's 0-60 is a function of power output, weight, and traction. The LFPs seem to be able to put out as much power, for a somewhat larger (heavier) battery. They have less power overall, but are able to put out maximum power as well as the existing batteries (just for less time until they're depleted). They are have many many more cycles (30,000 vs 3,000) before they're worn out, and they can / should be charged to 100% all the time, meaning less work on my part deciding "how much should I charge my car tonight?").

How fast (0-60) is your car with a couple extra people in it? That's how fast it'd be with a well engineered LFP pack.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
The car's 0-60 is a function of power output, weight, and traction. The LFPs seem to be able to put out as much power, for a somewhat larger (heavier) battery. They have less power overall, but are able to put out maximum power as well as the existing batteries (just for less time until they're depleted). They are have many many more cycles (30,000 vs 3,000) before they're worn out, and they can / should be charged to 100% all the time, meaning less work on my part deciding "how much should I charge my car tonight?").

How fast (0-60) is your car with a couple extra people in it? That's how fast it'd be with a well engineered LFP pack.
No idea on any of that. But Model 3 SR+ 0 to 60 time went from 5.3 to 5.8 for those with LFP.

I think the already have, essentially. My MCU1/AP1 car never got a 2021 release. I got 2020.48.37 at the beginning of Feb 2021. I got 2020.48.37.x releases in late Feb, May, July, and Oct; currently on 2020.48.37.8.

Not that that's a bad thing - I have no bugs that need fixing (that impact me anyway), so new releases are just extraneous crap, UI changes, pointless games, or new bugs.
The only downside is see is that is our Navigation database is outdated already....Hopefully there will be navigation update for 2022.

IF THERE WERE A DEMAND, and evidently there is not, a pack would be made available. Anyone working on a "new" pack would want to make a profit, and it would have to fit and give good range. If someone has a pack that would do this, trot it out and see if it sells. That's what supply and demand is all about.

So your logic is that they are purposely lowering the 0 to 60 time even though literally the only difference between the 2 cars physically is the battery?
My logic is that Tesla is further differentiating the Model 3 product line to incentivize more people to pay the extra $6k for the LR.

Like @cduzz said above, there's no technical reason an LFP pack couldn't have exactly the same performance as an NCA pack. The 0-60 time in non-performance cars is already an arbitrary value that Tesla can essentially tune at will given the amount of motor output and current draw they want to allow.

Curious if anyone else has heard anything related to this. Hope my battery lasts many more years but I really hope someone makes the smaller LFP battery. Supercharging would be fast again and the longevity would be quite good.