Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LG Bolt - Chevy Bolt made in Korea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, Tesla is doing the same thing, it uses Korean parts because Korean parts are the best when it comes to price/quality ratio. Many Germans including Audi and VW put Korean made wheels(hands corporation) and BMW put Hankook tire(Korean)....if Tesla fails in competition against GM in price, it will be out VERY FAST. Tesla doesn't make any profit now, so it needs to find some way and at the same time all other giants will start making 200-300 mile range EV in 3 years, who have much broader market with 100 years of experience.....Tesla is doomed, if they fail next 5 years...

• Disagree
Reactions: scaesare
Now, Tesla is doing the same thing, it uses Korean parts because Korean parts are the best when it comes to price/quality ratio. Many Germans including Audi and VW put Korean made wheels(hands corporation) and BMW put Hankook tire(Korean)....if Tesla fails in competition against GM in price, it will be out VERY FAST. Tesla doesn't make any profit now, so it needs to find some way and at the same time all other giants will start making 200-300 mile range EV in 3 years, who have much broader market with 100 years of experience.....Tesla is doomed, if they fail next 5 years...

In other words you have no sources and are completely talking out of your ##$@#.

Tesla will no more compete with GM on price than does BMW and Mercedes.

Tesla makes premium products and charges premium prices.

Tesla makes 22% gross profit margins TODAY and reinvest all those profits plus outside capital on GROWTH.

Companies with 100 years experience unable or unwilling to CHANGE are doomed.

Tesla will be the most valuable company manufacturing cars by 2035.

Reactions: scaesare
One Korean newspaper said Korean steel used for A pillar.
Self driving system is made in the USA.
Battery Technology is a collaboration between a Japanese Company and an American company that will be made in the USA.
Any Model 3s made in China will be for The Chinese market.

BTW Please reference credible source saying brakes and wheels will be made in Korea.

Battery Technology is a collaboration but the main technology is coming from Panasonic and Tesla is building a plant.
Mando(Korean) supplies wheels, brakes,suspension
Tesla Turns To South Korea's Mando To Supply Model 3 Parts
And self-driving (Updated) Tesla chooses Korean partner Mando for self-driving technology

and the rest you can them in google...

The Bolt can't be compared with the cars Tesla produces, when it comes to parts sourcing. It's one thing to buy components from various suppliers, it's another thing to outsource all the EV-components to another company.

The Bolt can be compared to the Mercedes B-class. On the B-class, Tesla supplies the motor, inverter, battery pack and charger. Mercedes doesn't make very much on the cars, the profit goes to Tesla. But it allows Mercedes to meet it's CARB obligations and to have a BEV alternative.

On the Bolt, LG supplies the motor, inverter, battery pack, charger, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not so sure it's smart for GM to leave this part of the business to someone else. It reduces GM to a welding company. They weld a frame, then put in all the stuff from LG and other suppliers, and sell it. I don't think this is a sustainable business model.

looks like same thing is happening to Tesla 3, it uses Korean tire,steel,self-driving system,display,steeling wheels and brakes, and list goes on and on..........and Japanese battery technology, and the best part is it will be made in China......I think you are very ignorant on how automotive industry is working these days...
If by "Tesla 3" you mean the Tesla Model 3, and you are saying that all the items you listed come from Korea, I would like to know your source for that statement.

Obviously the Model 3 "self driving system" will not be made in Korea. As for the "display", since no one outside of Tesla knows where the Model 3 display screen will be manufactured, you cannot possibly know.

And then you say "...and the best part is it will be made in China...", now you are simply wrong. The Model 3 will be manufactured at the Tesla plant in Fremont, California.

Your post has no credibility with me.

That article shows an "update" as follows, quote: "Updated May 23 4:45pm: We received word from a Tesla communications rep indicating that Mando does not supply autonomous technology systems and the original story published by the Korea Herald is untrue. We were told that Tesla currently sources steering racks for its Model S from Mando."

So your statement that the Model 3 will use "self driving" technology from Korea is incorrect.

the reason why Tesla has to make affordable EVs to compete with Bolt is that if BMW starts making EV with 300 mile range at around the same price as Tesla, which might have better performance and everything, I believe many people now buying Tesla can move to BMW in an instant second especially out of USA, like China for example...and now BMW is working with Samsung to produce 300 mile range by 2019. so my point was that Tesla using Korean parts or Japanese is nothing wrong and same for Bolt. Chevy makes 200 mile range at the cheapest price possible as of now, then they should do that. if not, others will...and I think Germans will always dominate the luxury market, Tesla has to compete with Chevy Toyota Hyundai Nissan Ford whatever..

Battery Technology is a collaboration but the main technology is coming from Panasonic and Tesla is building a plant.
Mando(Korean) supplies wheels, brakes,suspension
Tesla Turns To South Korea's Mando To Supply Model 3 Parts
And self-driving (Updated) Tesla chooses Korean partner Mando for self-driving technology

and the rest you can them in google...

You mean articles where Tesla denies Mando is being used for self driving components? Really? You link that as your source?

the reason why Tesla has to make affordable EVs to compete with Bolt is that if BMW starts making EV with 300 mile range at around the same price as Tesla, which might have better performance and everything, I believe many people now buying Tesla can move to BMW in an instant second especially out of USA, like China for example...and now BMW is working with Samsung to produce 300 mile range by 2019. so my point was that Tesla using Korean parts or Japanese is nothing wrong and same for Bolt. Chevy makes 200 mile range at the cheapest price possible as of now, then they should do that. if not, others will...and I think Germans will always dominate the luxury market, Tesla has to compete with Chevy Toyota Hyundai Nissan Ford whatever..
The Model 3 will likely be superior to anything BMW can come with in the next 5 years. In the high spec version, the Model 3 is expected to do 0-60 mph in under 3 seconds, and have a range exceeding 300 miles. It will also be Supercharge capable, a standard BMW is unlikley to adopt. That means that while long distance driving is completely unproblematic for Tesla, BMW's BEVs probably won't handle long distance driving very well. The Gigafactory also ensures that Tesla has the cells with the highest energy density and the lowest cost. This means that a BMW BEV will likely be more expensive, and have lower range. Basically, BMW is screwed.

It's one thing to buy components from various suppliers, it's another thing to outsource all the EV-components to another company.
Buy components from multiple sources = good?

Buy components from one source = bad?

The Bolt can be compared to the Mercedes B-class. On the B-class, Tesla supplies the motor, inverter, battery pack and charger. Mercedes doesn't make very much on the cars, the profit goes to Tesla. But it allows Mercedes to meet it's CARB obligations and to have a BEV alternative.
Not really. From what I can tell from reading press releases and dialing into a press briefing a few months ago, GM was heavily involved in co-engineering the Bolt EV and designed the motor, and probably the inverter, the CAN bus interconnects and overall integration, probably the overall control system, the internal and external design and body structure, maybe some aspects of the battery pack physical structure, and is stamping and assembling the car. GM has also been involved in environmental and physical stress testing of the components and battery pack.

While this work was going on, GM was also finishing the Volt's complete re-engineering including new motors and a completely new FWD hybrid transaxle, a related but different RWD hybrid transmission for the CT6, and the Malibu hybrid battery pack and integration with the new Volt transaxle. Plus all of the other conventional cars including a new 9-speed conventional automatic. GM's a big company with lots of engineers but they can only do so many things at a time.

No doubt some MB engineers did some aspects of the overall Tesla BEV conversion work but the core of the conversion was all Tesla designed.

On the Bolt, LG supplies the motor, inverter, battery pack, charger, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not so sure it's smart for GM to leave this part of the business to someone else. It reduces GM to a welding company. They weld a frame, then put in all the stuff from LG and other suppliers, and sell it. I don't think this is a sustainable business model.

and now BMW is working with Samsung to produce 300 mile range by 2019
I don't know about this specific project offhand, but the European "300 mile" future cars that I have seen so far are 300 miles on NEDC. The EPA equivalent would be quite a bit lower as in 210-255, depending on the aerodynamics and weight due to different testing methods.

The Model 3 will likely be superior to anything BMW can come with in the next 5 years. In the high spec version, the Model 3 is expected to do 0-60 mph in under 3 seconds, and have a range exceeding 300 miles. It will also be Supercharge capable, a standard BMW is unlikley to adopt. That means that while long distance driving is completely unproblematic for Tesla, BMW's BEVs probably won't handle long distance driving very well. The Gigafactory also ensures that Tesla has the cells with the highest energy density and the lowest cost. This means that a BMW BEV will likely be more expensive, and have lower range. Basically, BMW is screwed.

The Gigafactory also ensures that Tesla has the cells with the highest energy density? so your argument is based on what they promised they would do, correct? Other manufacturers have been in business for as long as 100 years and Tesla was founded on the very idea of habit. And Tesla doesn't make cars from A-Z, it gets every single parts from all other companies also it doesn't have combustion engine technology nor does it have hybrid or plug-in hybrid cars to back up finance during the transitional period. Meanwhile others can pull off more efficient and more practical cars at lower price because it has many sources to get finance from.
And there's more to it than how fast a car can go in buying cars. Toyota may not be as fast as Tesla but people know it will be much reliable to own, which I think is more important selling point. CEO of Nissan admitted that LG batter is the best available as of now and Samsung is investing a lot more than Panasonic does, both of which have been making battery for decades. And Samsung is the #1 battery producer in the world. And you expect the kind of battery Panasonic promised to produce has better quality than LG and Samsung? Samsung has 10x more financial strength than both Panasonic and Tesla. You can believe what you want but I believe what I think is reasonable and logical.

Not really. From what I can tell from reading press releases and dialing into a press briefing a few months ago, GM was heavily involved in co-engineering the Bolt EV and designed the motor, and probably the inverter, the CAN bus interconnects and overall integration, probably the overall control system, the internal and external design and body structure, maybe some aspects of the battery pack physical structure, and is stamping and assembling the car. GM has also been involved in environmental and physical stress testing of the components and battery pack.

While this work was going on, GM was also finishing the Volt's complete re-engineering including new motors and a completely new FWD hybrid transaxle, a related but different RWD hybrid transmission for the CT6, and the Malibu hybrid battery pack and integration with the new Volt transaxle. Plus all of the other conventional cars including a new 9-speed conventional automatic. GM's a big company with lots of engineers but they can only do so many things at a time.

No doubt some MB engineers did some aspects of the overall Tesla BEV conversion work but the core of the conversion was all Tesla designed.

I don't know about this specific project offhand, but the European "300 mile" future cars that I have seen so far are 300 miles on NEDC. The EPA equivalent would be quite a bit lower as in 210-255, depending on the aerodynamics and weight due to different testing methods.

no it was 600km, not by NEDC. and it was not big size either.

In some circumstances, yes. I'm not certain this is one such circumstance, but it could be.

When you source from multiple companies, you select the most suitable and competitively priced components. If something goes wrong, requiring a new supplier, that can usually be done relatively easily. However, when you get all the critical components from one company, you are basically putting all your eggs in one basket. It may go great, or it may completely screw you. You're building up competence in that company instead of your own company. That company can get a better offer basically any time (well, at the end of each contract), and either renegotiate prices, or leave you hanging.

I Hopefully for GM's sake, they've been very much involved in the entire process. But I'm not entirely convinced.

I think I would try to fit work that's critical for the continued survival of my company into my schedule.

Anyone can write big numbers in a press release. And most of these "300 mile" EVs are either PHEVs like the i8/i3 REX or HFCVs like the Mercedes GLC. You never know what they're talking about and to what extent they are spewing BS, so the press releases are completely worthless until there is an actual vehicle to discuss.

Can you provide a link to a relevant source like a news article?

I suspect you are talking about the i5 which is generally reported as having an assumed EPA range of less than 250 miles.

BMW i5 electric crossover SUV in 2019: latest rumor-mill roundup

More recent reports have cast doubt on whether it will appear in 2019 because of BMW's apparent refocus on automated driving and away from trying to compete with Tesla on BEVs until they can find a way to get access to cheaper batteries.

BMW's New Electric Flagship Car iNEXT will arrive in 2021

Last edited:
The Gigafactory also ensures that Tesla has the cells with the highest energy density? so your argument is based on what they promised they would do, correct? Other manufacturers have been in business for as long as 100 years and Tesla was founded on the very idea of habit. And Tesla doesn't make cars from A-Z, it gets every single parts from all other companies
Few companies are as vertically integrated as Tesla. They make the motors, battery packs, inverters, chargers, etc. They're even planning on designing their own silicon for the autopilot program.

also it doesn't have combustion engine technology nor does it have hybrid or plug-in hybrid cars to back up finance during the transitional period. Meanwhile others can pull off more efficient and more practical cars at lower price because it has many sources to get finance from.
Tesla has revenue from the 2nd gen models to fund their 3rd gen models. Their transition from gas to electric is complete!

I would be happy to see a big car company coming with a compelling competitor to Tesla's vehicles, but thus far there doesn't seem to be anything planned.

And there's more to it than how fast a car can go in buying cars. Toyota may not be as fast as Tesla but people know it will be much reliable to own, which I think is more important selling point.
I hope to see Toyota produce a compelling BEV in the future. But until then, we'll be stuck with the choice between a used RAV4 EV, or.... the i-Road. They were thinking about offering an electric iQ, but they had designed it to suck, so they changed their minds.

Toyota has said they will try to make more EVs, but the plans don't seem to be very immediate. And there are no guarantees they won't suck.

CEO of Nissan admitted that LG batter is the best available as of now and Samsung is investing a lot more than Panasonic does, both of which have been making battery for decades. And Samsung is the #1 battery producer in the world.
What makes you think Samsung is number 1? Samsung is the sixth largest battery producer (Panasonic is ~10 times bigger), and their tech is pretty good, but not better than any others near the top. EV Sales: Batteries June 2016 (Updated) w/ Bus batteries ranking draft

And you expect the kind of battery Panasonic promised to produce has better quality than LG and Samsung? Samsung has 10x more financial strength than both Panasonic and Tesla. You can believe what you want but I believe what I think is reasonable and logical.
Samsung isn't building a Gigafactory. Tesla/Panasonic will probably produce 30-40 GWh in 2017. Samsung produced 0.34 GWh in the first half of 2016, so maybe 1 GWh for 2017?

Anyone can write big numbers in a press release. And most of these "300 mile" EVs are either PHEVs like the i8/i3 REX or HFCVs like the Mercedes GLC. You never know what they're talking about and to what extent they are spewing BS, so the press releases are completely worthless until there is an actual vehicle to discuss.

Yes, anyone can write big numbers in a press release just like Tesla, it said it would bring 200 mile range EV under 35k in 2016 and delayed but Chevy Bolt is coming into reality soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Few companies are as vertically integrated as Tesla. They make the motors, battery packs, inverters, chargers, etc. They're even planning on designing their own silicon for the autopilot program.

Tesla has revenue from the 2nd gen models to fund their 3rd gen models. Their transition from gas to electric is complete!

I would be happy to see a big car company coming with a compelling competitor to Tesla's vehicles, but thus far there doesn't seem to be anything planned.

I hope to see Toyota produce a compelling BEV in the future. But until then, we'll be stuck with the choice between a used RAV4 EV, or.... the i-Road. They were thinking about offering an electric iQ, but they had designed it to suck, so they changed their minds.

Toyota has said they will try to make more EVs, but the plans don't seem to be very immediate. And there are no guarantees they won't suck.

What makes you think Samsung is number 1? Samsung is the sixth largest battery producer (Panasonic is ~10 times bigger), and their tech is pretty good, but not better than any others near the top. EV Sales: Batteries June 2016 (Updated) w/ Bus batteries ranking draft

Samsung isn't building a Gigafactory. Tesla/Panasonic will probably produce 30-40 GWh in 2017. Samsung produced 0.34 GWh in the first half of 2016, so maybe 1 GWh for 2017?

Samsung SDI Presents Batteries That Enable 370 Miles (600 km) Of Range At 2016 NAIAS

Samsung is expected to bring 500km range battery by 2017 and 600kc by 2020, I understand it's just projection based on what Samsung claimed but there's no certainty in Tesla's claim either. And from what I found, Panasonic's battery is not very sophisticated one that requires larger space to put it in and heavier, but cheaper, because it's the most widely used, which might put limitation on the shape of the vehicle as well as size.
So yes in the short run, Tesla can benefit from producing cars with cheaper battery but in the long run others using more sophisticated ones will benefit because they don't have to cut on the size of interior volume and such...and Panasonic's battery is not good to environment as much.

• Funny
Reactions: Yuri_G