Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe this is the one I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/2-SMD-Canbus-...=UTF8&qid=1358900320&sr=8-5&keywords=6418+C5W

The ones on e-bay may be better as they do not need to be Canbus error free.
I've used the CAN Bus Error Free bulbs in my Porsche Panamera. Those bulbs actually need the extra heat sink because they have a resistor that draws 5W so that a burnt out bulb error is not generated. Since the Tesla does not check for low current usage for a burnt out license plate bulb, there is no need to use these bulbs. Also, not using these bulbs reduces the power usage. Otherwise they draw the same current as the incandescent bulbs.

It was probably mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, but you have to watch the polarity on the LED bulbs. I got mine from the ebay store araxara had linked to and the first one I installed didn't light up. I put in the second one and it worked fine so I assumed the first one was bad. I contacted the seller and he encouraged me to try it again and try turning it around if it didn't work. I did just that and sure enough, it lit right up! I didn't realize how bad the incandescents looked until the LEDs were in, what a difference, it looks so much better and goes along with the rest of the lights on the car.

They supplied the following YouTube video:
LED Polarity - LEDs Not lighting Up Solution - YouTube

Here is a pic with comparison of original bulb(yellow) and LED(white). LED much better looking IMHO. Used the ebay ones referred to above.

Rich
plate.JPG

Before/Left Side Only/After

8422689162_6541aa1e73.jpg
8422680620_00a4cd8e73.jpg
8421583469_01d3a27b64.jpg

You can even see the white light from the LED Flash on my phone makes a contrast with the muddy yellow incandescent.

Two tips to add. 1) Don't forget that you can lift the trunk lid and work standing up if that makes it easier for you 2) Pick a skinny/short screwdriver or be careful not to scratch the paint.