Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best practice thoughts?

I would sure like to have a C counter that couldn't be reset to track lifetime.

Other than that, I'm just taking a photo of the screen every month. Inputting the numbers, should I decide to do so, will allow a formula to calculate the monthly numbers. I've never actually reset the trip counters on any car, although some have been reset by removing the 12V battery.

I'd like a Trip Meters row that is for the vehicle lifetime, not resettable, etc.

In the absence of that I have a question:
For those that have intentionally or accidentally attempted to reset the trip meter, do you get a confirmation prompt or does it immediately do it? I'm trying to figure out how paranoid I should be when showing that screen to passengers.

Here is my data point:
View attachment 18560
I'm currently at 341 Wh/mi for the 1112 miles since I picked the car up at the factory on March 2nd, but I expect this number will decrease a bit as I've now given test rides to most of my friends and family :)

I got a much more frugal 303 Wh/mi for my commute into work this morning. But that number would have been higher if traffic hadn't kept me from going as fast as I wanted to go . . .

I live in California, have a standard 85 kWh Model S with the 19" wheels, air suspension, and no sun roof.

My energy usage didn't drop as much as I thought it would. My current numbers are: 6,208.1 miles and 339 Wh/mi. It turns out my commute to work reproducibly uses less energy than the trip home (there is an elevation change and perhaps the prevailing wind is with me on the way to work and against me on the way home).

My energy usage didn't drop as much as I thought it would. My current numbers are: 6,208.1 miles and 339 Wh/mi. It turns out my commute to work reproducibly uses less energy than the trip home (there is an elevation change and perhaps the prevailing wind is with me on the way to work and against me on the way home).
Same. If I record the numbers on the way to work, I can sometimes (rarely!) yield sub 300. I have to be absurdly careful to even attempt to keep it under 400 on the way back.

Updated numbers as my average slowly trickles down:

GeekGirls 316 6437 CA 85 19 1

It's curious that my efficiency going to work is also better than returning. I have no idea whether that's elevation, prevailing winds, or something about time of day. Driving to work these days I'm typically around 274Wh/mi, coming home it's a little over 300. It's the shorter trips that hurt my average, though occasionally they start out looking pretty good...

photo.JPG

Efficiency to and from work... for those of you more on the flat, could it be you're subtly less in a hurry to get to work, and more of a hurry to get home?

I know my trip to work will be significantly lower than coming home, as I live atop a 750' hill. Could be subtle elevation differences you're unaware of too.

At 7900 miles, I've been at 369 wh/mi for the past 3000 miles or so. It was 380 or so for the first few weeks that I had the car. My usual freeway commute of 25 miles each way is mostly at 75-80 mph set with cruise. For the most part, I can maintain those speeds being in the reverse commute and occasionally putting my HOV sticker to good use.

I'd like a Trip Meters row that is for the vehicle lifetime, not resettable, etc.

In the absence of that I have a question:
For those that have intentionally or accidentally attempted to reset the trip meter, do you get a confirmation prompt or does it immediately do it? I'm trying to figure out how paranoid I should be when showing that screen to passengers.

You get a confirmation prompt. I keep lifetime on my B trip meter and reset my A meter monthly to coincide with my electric meter reading day; you have to confirm you want the trip meter reset after selecting the reset button.

I have a question re: the trip odometer readings. Are Wh's used while sitting/cabin Pre-heating/cooling included in the numbers?

Reason i ask is this...yesterday was the first day out with the full family (including 1 month old) in the MS in over 100 degree day. Went to lunch, did some shopping, etc. I Pre-cooled quite a bit. I one case, I kept the precooling on for 30 min in advance of our departure from a store. Of course the AC is working hard sitting in 100+ temps and trying to cool the interior to 72.

I left with 190 rated miles (full std charge). I only drove a total of about 40 miles averaging abt it 320 Wh/mi which is only very slightly above my average (slower driving with the infant, but with lots of AC running). But when I got home, my rated miles remaining was around 125, meaning I had lost abt 25 miles of range unaccounted for. I know the range is always going to have some margin of real vs. rated. But 25 miles is excessive. I can only explain it via the Pre-cooling. But in that case, I would have expected my Wh/mi to be much higher, spiking the first mile after driving off since all that AC was running while not in motion and would get counted as soon as I started driving. But this isn't what I saw.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

I am fairly certain that pre-cooling does not affect your Wh/mi numbers on the dash. I am also fairly certain that cooling while the car is 'off' doesn't add to the Wh/mi numbers on the dash. I believe that cooling while in park but with the car 'on' does add to Wh/mi numbers.

I have noticed these behaviors but have not looked for them. I would need to confirm. But I believe the main determinant for going to the Wh/mi score is whether or not the car is 'on' or 'off'.

I have yet to figure out the discrepancy between the energy graph, and the trip calculator. I don't even have a theory other than car moving, not moving being the determinant for the energy graph. My energy graph consistently shows lower Wh/mi numbers than the trip meters.

Updated numbers as my average slowly trickles down:

GeekGirls 316 6437 CA 85 19 1

It's curious that my efficiency going to work is also better than returning. I have no idea whether that's elevation, prevailing winds, or something about time of day. Driving to work these days I'm typically around 274Wh/mi, coming home it's a little over 300. It's the shorter trips that hurt my average, though occasionally they start out looking pretty good...

View attachment 21896

Probably elevation. I commute from Santa Cruz proper to Cupertino and I reproducibly use more energy commuting to work and less coming home.

I am fairly certain that pre-cooling does not affect your Wh/mi numbers on the dash. I am also fairly certain that cooling while the car is 'off' doesn't add to the Wh/mi numbers on the dash. I believe that cooling while in park but with the car 'on' does add to Wh/mi numbers.

I have noticed these behaviors but have not looked for them. I would need to confirm. But I believe the main determinant for going to the Wh/mi score is whether or not the car is 'on' or 'off'.
This sounds about right, and consistent with how the vampire losses do not show up in the trip meter either.

So, based on the last compile the bell curve (85th %ile) begins @316? Or did I use the wrong median?

@7500ft I'm below half the atmosphere (true fact), so half the air density? Half the air resistance? 2x the hemogloben? Half the grey matter?? :smile:
--

Last edited:
So, based on the last compile the bell curve (85th %ile) begins @316? Or did I use the wrong median?

@7500ft I'm below half the atmosphere (true fact), so half the air density? Half the air resistance? 2x the hemogloben? Half the grey matter??
--

As of the last update, the deciles are:

decile wh/m
0% 256
10% 316
20% 330
30% 339
40% 345
50% 354
60% 365
70% 378
80% 387
90% 405
100% 465

It would be good if people who haven't updated in a while did so, as these numbers are still pretty heavily weighted toward the winter
months.