Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift Grounding Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year, a tire shop told me he would not put my 2018 Model 3 on his lift. He said he did not have the proper magnetic grounding plate, and putting a Tesla on a lift without that risks frying the electronics. Is that true? Other shops tell me that the pucks are all that is needed, which I have. They have never heard of the need for a magnetic grounding plate.

I live in South East New Hampshire if anyone wants to recommend a shop for an inspection sticker.

Thanks,
Randy

I'd say don't ever go back to that particular tire shop. Never heard of the need for something like that before.

Pucks are all that are required when lifting the 3. If the shop has enough experience with Teslas, they should have their own set of pucks.

The problem isn't the magnetic grounding plate, it's the magnetic levitation that Teslas require. Any half-decent mechanic knows this.

BackFutureflyingcar.jpg

Last year, a tire shop told me he would not put my 2018 Model 3 on his lift. He said he did not have the proper magnetic grounding plate, and putting a Tesla on a lift without that risks frying the electronics. Is that true? Other shops tell me that the pucks are all that is needed, which I have. They have never heard of the need for a magnetic grounding plate.

I live in South East New Hampshire if anyone wants to recommend a shop for an inspection sticker.

Thanks,
Randy
Totally ridiculous. The guy who told you this probably hates Electric cars and loves 70's vintage muscle cars instead.

I also haven’t heard of this but sounds like something he was trained to do. Perhaps his brand of lift has a known problem with grounding?

Either way, take it as an engraved invitation to take your business elsewhere…

Recently, I requested Tesla Service through the phone app to clean/lube the calipers and rotate the tires (there is not menu option for the calipers, but I put it in the Notes section). The Tesla guy who did the work said that he had been working on Teslas for a couple of years, and he had never heard of using a magnetic grounding plate. The tire shop that told that magnetic grounding plates are a requirement for lifting a Tesla has since gone out of business. Thanks for all the replies.

Reactions: kayak1
"Magnetic grounding plate" == utter bullshit.

I've done 2 tire changeovers myslef every year for the 6 years I've owned the car, using either a lift or floor jack. Pucks are not necessary if you are careful. They're just a cructch for the careless/lazy, IMHO.

Reactions: kayak1