Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light show update trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reset the lift gate to factory default (max) and it worked.
Yep. It appears that if you have changed the settings, from default on the trunk, it won't open. I'm guessing the coders had to use an ITTT line of code, and the only way for the trunk to open is if it's in default. Otherwise, they would have to override the owner settings and reset to default. Instead of having a bunch of people screaming how Tesla changed their trunk settings, they left the trunk to stay closed in the event an owner had changed the trunk value from 0.

2021 model 3 - it never opens the trunk. It tries (motor runs) but nothing happens.

I had the trunk already on max (default). I tried another reset by holding the trunk close button at max opening, but that did not help.

I think something else is wrong with us with 2021 models where it never works. I dont have soft-close working either… maybe some alignment issues??

Yep. It appears that if you have changed the settings, from default on the trunk, it won't open. I'm guessing the coders had to use an ITTT line of code, and the only way for the trunk to open is if it's in default. Otherwise, they would have to override the owner settings and reset to default. Instead of having a bunch of people screaming how Tesla changed their trunk settings, they left the trunk to stay closed in the event an owner had changed the trunk value from 0.

This isn’t universally true. I have mine set to open lower so as not to hit the garage door when it’s open. Tried the light show 3 times so far, lift gate has opened and closed every time.

Tried to give my car a nudge too - than indeed it opened and did its dance. However it did not close - nor did it open again without a nudge.

Safe to say, this shows some 2021 models have a problem with the power tailgate struts.

I seen a few peoples videos. There trunk opens during light show. Some stay closed? Any thoughts?
I got the XMas update today. I can see and hear the trunk opening for something like few millimeters but that’s about it. I tried already 5 times or so but the same. Initially I thought something is wrong with my trunk or is frozen (a bit cold here today). A bit of a bugger but happy with other updates I got. Cheers!