Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Filling in for lack of Roadsters?

Electric Lightning GT ready for long-term road test Autoblog Green

lightninggt8.jpg

Much as I would love to see a UK manufacturer have a success story I am a bit skeptical if those specs / prices are correct. Compared to the tesla it costs 2x as much yet has less range (150 miles) and is slower (0 to 60 in 5 sec). Looks good from some angles though.

Much as I would love to see a UK manufacturer have a success story I am a bit skeptical if those specs / prices are correct. Compared to the tesla it costs 2x as much yet has less range (150 miles) and is slower (0 to 60 in 5 sec). Looks good from some angles though.

I agree. Gone are the days when a handful of engineers could build things like this in a garage.

In the ICE world, niche manufacturers would buy in powertrains from larger firms, often using them in innovative ways (eg Trident Vehicles' use of an 8-litre truck diesel engine in their Iceni sprts car) to differentiate themselves from the market. IMHO the future for firms such as Lightning and Delta is to do the same thing.

"Performance is 0 - 60 mph in under 5 seconds, a top speed limited to 125 mph, a usable range of 150 miles per charge, superfast charging in just 10 minutes and a battery life of 10,000 cycles."

superfast charging in just 10 minutes; is that true? Very cool if it is.

Maybe it's possible but I don't know about how feasible the power input required to charge at that rate is. If it uses 200 Wh/mile (a guess) a 150 mile range requires a 30kWh battery, which to charge in 10 mins needs about 180 kW. A LOT of power in short.

superfast charging in just 10 minutes; is that true? Very cool if it is.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't see how they can charge it that fast either. The batteries are 44 kW. That means you have to provide that much power in 10 minutes.

To put in perspective, the US, residential are usually 240 V, and up to 200 A. You would need the power from 5.5 houses (full- assuming no losses and nothing else is plugged in) just to charge it in 10 minutes.
Just from a safety standpoint, I would be very hesitant of messing with something that pulls more power than 5 combined houses.
The only thing that I can think of is using a 600 V. I've dealt with 600 V @ 315 Amps a few times (that's not even enough to charge it that fast), and that's insane voltage and amps.

It would have to be done from industrial 480 volt three phase power, or with a larger precharged dump pack. Point is that the Altairnano cells can take it if you can provide it.

Yes, the Lithium Titanate can take that type of charge- it's a very stable chemistry (I wish the Tesla Model S used that)
It just seems like alot of amps over a short period of time. At 480 V, it's like 550 A;
that's about 25 times what's used in an electric chair
Source: "Academic American Encyclopedia. Vol. 7. New York: Grolier, 1993: 113."

So who got more attention?
It was a very busy time for both stands so I'm not sure who got the most attention.... the Lightening GT is enormous and looks like a Super Car which IMO the Tesla does not.... however, large numbers of people comment on how much they love the Tesla Electric Blue colour, and everyone is impressed by the specs and the fact that it's a production car (unlike the Lightening).