Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limitations Of Speed Limit Sign Recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a brief spin after installing 2020.36.3.1 today, and was both pleased and disappointed.

As hoped, the car now reads speed limit signs and sets that speed for Autopilot.

As feared, the car does not read the “End of speed limit” signs commonly used in Vermont, where I live. Vermont has a “default” speed limit for paved (50) and unpaved (35) roads. So most areas other than interstates just set up zones to deviate from that, ending the zone with an end of zone sign rather than a new limit.

Result: this potentially great feature is going to be useless on non-Interstate roads in Vermont.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Took a brief spin after installing 2020.36.3.1 today, and was both pleased and disappointed.

As hoped, the car now reads speed limit signs and sets that speed for Autopilot.

As feared, the car does not read the “End of speed limit” signs commonly used in Vermont, where I live. Vermont has a “default” speed limit for paved (50) and unpaved (35) roads. So most areas other than interstates just set up zones to deviate from that, ending the zone with an end of zone sign rather than a new limit.

Result: this potentially great feature is going to be useless on non-Interstate roads in Vermont.
It's the first iteration of the speed limit please be patient.

This is why it is called a BETA feature. It needs time for the machine learning algorithms to improve and was clearly stated in the release notes.

Reactions: Matsayz