Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Model Y configs that qualify for the 2023 Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New price drops tonight, here is my view of which Model Y qualify for the 2023 federal tax credit between now and March:

Model Y Performance 5-seater (MSRP gotta be under $55k) : None of them qualify.

Model Y Long Range 5-seater : Gotta stay under $55K before destination charge. These configs will quality for the federal tax credit [exterior/interior/wheels]:
- Red/Black/19s
- Black/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s with Tow
- White/Black/20s
- White/White/19s
- White/White/19s with Tow
- Gray/Black/19s
- Gray/Black/19s with Tow
- Gray/White/19s
- Blue/Black/19s
- Blue/Black/19s with Tow
- Blue/White/19s

Model Y Long Range 7-seater (Gotta be under $80K) : All of them qualify with any color, wheel, tow hitch, interior options. Don't add FSD or EAP to keep it under $80K.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 3.26.31 PM.png

Admin note: Image added for Blog feed.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
How do you add later and get for same price/not impact msrp? Is it still included in your loan?
Via Upgrades in the menu on rhe
Just ordered my MY LR, it's eligible. Seems like FSD won't change the eligibility. There is a note that says software doesn't have any effect on tax credit.
Too bad nobody can get red/white seats and still qualify. But, blue/white seats would also be cool and qualify.

VW ID4 AWD is heavy and has much higher ground clearance than Tesla Y, so it's classified as SUV. Ford MachE and Tesla Model Y are lighter and have lower ground clearance, so not classified an SUV, hence $55K limit. If you add a 3rd row to the Y then it becomes heavier and qualifies for the SUV classification at $80K limit.
So by that logic, Tesla puts a few case of beer in the back as part of the package , and all MY qualifies for the SUV $80k limit tax rebate ….

Or just lower prices across the board, and sell an insanely amount of more cars 😀

Reactions: Yelobird
New price drops tonight, here is my view of which Model Y qualify for the 2023 federal tax credit between now and March:

Model Y Long Range 5-seater : Gotta stay under $55K before destination charge. These configs will quality for the federal tax credit [exterior/interior/wheels]:
- Red/Black/19s
- Black/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s
- White/Black/20s
- White/White/19s
- Gray/Black/19s
- Gray/White/19s
- Blue/Black/19s
- Blue/White/19s

Model Y Long Range 7-seater (Gotta be under $80K) : All of them qualify with any color, wheel, tow hitch, interior options. Don't add FSD or EAP to keep it under $80K.

View attachment 895389
Question regarding order fee $ 250
MY LR White exterior and full black interior is $ 52,990 plus induction wheel is $ 2000
This totals to $ 54,990.00 which makes it eligible for tax credit $ 7,500
What about the order fee $ 250
Is this order fee making the purchase price of vehicle to $ 54,990 + $ 250= 55,240
Then it would not be eligible for ev tax rebate of $ 7,500

MY LR White exterior and full black interior is $ 52,990 plus induction wheel is $ 2000
Is this order fee making the purchase price of vehicle to $ 54,990 + $ 250= 55,240
No. Any fees associated are not considered part of MSRP which the IRA says are excluded. I’m not an accountant or a financial advisor, just what I’ve seen/heard/researched. I’m assuming you are good, although $10 is too close for my comfort. :)

Reactions: scSeattle
You can alway get the induction wheels or better later, just get close to the price point and that’s all. You can always get the adorns later jus to the safe. Personally the Tesla & TS Sportline wheels are heavy beasts. Look for aftermarket option. The wheel size is 5x114.3 for the hub.

As far as what I have read, it only applies to physical items on the vehicle at time of delivery. Delivery fees documentation, taxes and even software upgrades are not calculated into the base cost of the tax rebate Purchase limit . There should be a little bottom of on the 1st order page , telling you if this order is eligible. If you don’t see the disclaimer , then you are not eligible.
Welcome to the Tesla Family 🔋🌎

Attachments

• 4EDC9904-4997-479D-8187-C7ABD6DC0624.jpeg
    4EDC9904-4997-479D-8187-C7ABD6DC0624.jpeg
    831.9 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
It's not a tax rebate, it's a tax credit.

Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives | Tesla Support under Federal Tax Incentives, Vehicles has the below:
taxcredit2.png

IRS material like the below may/may not help:

Q6 of Topic A — Frequently Asked Questions About the Eligibility Rules for the New Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service talks about the March 2023 stuff (critical mineral and battery component requirements) that is not in effect yet. Obviously, all Teslas have more than enough battery capacity (in kWh) to qualify for the full $7500 if you do that math.

I haven't followed this closely as I have no interest in a Y and my income is too high to qualify anyway.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
IMO - All the vagueness and postponing the "true requirements for another few months" leave MFG's and buyers in limbo. The whole IRA EV rebates for 2023 should be more flexible, given the federal gov't wants mass adoption to meet their go green goals. EV's are more expensive than ICE vehicles to start with, and change is not an easy thing for most people. Keeping it simple would do worlds for adoption.

All SUV's should be a $80k max - Model Y, MachE should be in the same category as an ID 4 (which is much smaller in length). Then open up to other MFG's who don't yet build in the USA yet - as building a mfg plant is the easiest part, getting materials to build and skilled workers will be challenging.

- Red/Black/19s
- Black/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s
- White/Black/20s
- White/White/19s
- Gray/Black/19s
- Gray/White/19s
- Blue/Black/19s
- Blue/White/19s

View attachment 895389

- Red/Black/19s
- Black/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s
- White/Black/20s
- White/White/19s
- Gray/Black/19s
- Gray/White/19s
- Blue/Black/19s
- Blue/White/19s

View attachment 895389
Thought the Y Long Range was now $52,900?