Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Superchargers with Magic Docks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RTPEV

Mar 21, 2016
Durham, NC
If you are interested in a list of known Supercharger sites with Magic Docks installed, I am compiling a list of Tesla Supercharger sites with Magic Docks installed here: List of Tesla Superchargers with magic docks installed

I'd be happy to keep a current list here as well, however since the list of Superchargers with CCS capability is of more interest to non-Tesla vehicles, I felt it more appropriate to post it on fastcharger.info. However, I wanted to make all aware of the list in case that is something that interests you.

Will supercharge.info differentiate the Magic Dock sites? (on the map, for example) Maybe a purple dot instead of red?
I don't know if supercharge.info developers like @paulkva and @corywright (found their names on another thread - I'm sure other people are involved as well) read all of these other threads that aren't directly related to supercharge.info....

• Helpful
Reactions: paulkva
If you are interested in a list of known Supercharger sites with Magic Docks installed, I am compiling a list of Tesla Supercharger sites with Magic Docks installed here: List of Tesla Superchargers with magic docks installed

I'd be happy to keep a current list here as well, however since the list of Superchargers with CCS capability is of more interest to non-Tesla vehicles, I felt it more appropriate to post it on fastcharger.info. However, I wanted to make all aware of the list in case that is something that interests you.
Now that they have rolled out about a dozen sites, things seem to have slowed down.

Any idea how long Tesla will evaluate these new sites before they roll out more locations ?

Thanks KJD and threeputts. Just more competition to use Tesla SC now.
:mad:

V2 and V3 would have the problem that a lot of EVs have to park in the wrong stall to use it.

V4 fixes that with a longer cable that is connected to the other side of the stall so less problematic.

Besides, it should only help.
1) Magic Docking a location makes Tesla more money, so it can expand the network. OR
2) Magic Docking a location gets Tesla Federal subsidies, so it can expand the network OR
3) Magic Docking locations allows a ton of disgruntled customers to flee from Tesla cars and buy CCS vehicles instead. They'll get a higher proportion of their DCFC miles at other, cheaper, networks and only use Superchargers as a backup when those cheaper networks aren't working. Tesla owners will find their Superchargers less busy.

V2 and V3 would have the problem that a lot of EVs have to park in the wrong stall to use it.

V4 fixes that with a longer cable that is connected to the other side of the stall so less problematic.

Besides, it should only help.
1) Magic Docking a location makes Tesla more money, so it can expand the network. OR
2) Magic Docking a location gets Tesla Federal subsidies, so it can expand the network OR
3) Magic Docking locations allows a ton of disgruntled customers to flee from Tesla cars and buy CCS vehicles instead. They'll get a higher proportion of their DCFC miles at other, cheaper, networks and only use Superchargers as a backup when those cheaper networks aren't working. Tesla owners will find their Superchargers less busy.
I hadn't thought it through as thoroughly as you have. Will be interesting to see if that's how it all plays out. LOL

Thanks KJD and threeputts. Just more competition to use Tesla SC now.
:mad:
In addition, you can't blame CCS users at the 10 (so far) US Supercharger sites (that were likely underutilized anyway) without casting some blame on Tesla themselves for an even larger problem. By far, most of the new EVs entering service today are Tesla (although this will probably change in the future), so if there is any expansion in the use of the Supercharger network, you can put more of the blame on Giga Texas than you can on the smaller number of non-Tesla EVs that are using the network.

Now of course it is incumbent upon Tesla (if they intend to keep the Supercharger network as a differentiating feature) to expand their network to meet demand, whether that demand comes from Tesla themselves, or non-Tesla vehicles at Magic Dock sites. As @ItsNotAboutTheMoney pointed out, expanding their customer set to include CCS users paying a premium will help fund that expansion. However, I'll also point out that it's reasonable for Tesla to increase usage at lower utilization sites to make their network run more efficiently. A low utilization site will only be able to spread out monthly demand fees against a smaller number of customers. Their goal should be to run the site as close to capacity (without going over) at all times to maximize the financial efficiency of the site. With the data that Tesla has at their disposal, they should be able to select sites that meet the criteria of having room for non-Tesla vehicles to share the site. Yes, it's a bit of a leap of faith, but the fact that they did not rush out and go beyond the initial ten right away does seem to indicate that they are studying the usage patterns and are proceeding somewhat carefully.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't know if supercharge.info developers like @paulkva and @corywright (found their names on another thread - I'm sure other people are involved as well) read all of these other threads that aren't directly related to supercharge.info....
Thanks for the tag 👀 I frequent TMC, but not sure I had seen this thread previously. Also tagging @Pluto for visibility.
Will supercharge.info differentiate the Magic Dock sites? (on the map, for example) Maybe a purple dot instead of red?
Short answer: eventually! 😁 The next round of updates, which you can see at test.supercharge.info, doesn't specifically incorporate Magic Dock / multi-connector information yet, but it helps behind the scenes to prepare us for that change. The site is 100% volunteer-run, and it depends on a few people's schedules, but we've definitely picked up the pace lately.

For me the most important part of this experiment is for Tesla to ensure location status reporting is even more accurate for travelers enroute to a location to charge

Since Tesla is doing this on “their dime” they can take their time to gather usage data and lessons learned to benefit everyone.

Tesla is smart and probably already doing this and more, so maybe they don’t need owners advice, but done right Tesla could dominate EV charging while advancing its cause.

Reactions: T3SLAROD