Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Superchargers with Magic Docks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are interested in a list of known Supercharger sites with Magic Docks installed, I am compiling a list of Tesla Supercharger sites with Magic Docks installed here: List of Tesla Superchargers with magic docks installed

I'd be happy to keep a current list here as well, however since the list of Superchargers with CCS capability is of more interest to non-Tesla vehicles, I felt it more appropriate to post it on fastcharger.info. However, I wanted to make all aware of the list in case that is something that interests you.
Thanks for sharing the list. I usually use Plugshare to locate charging stations, and for CSS Tesla chargers I just checked through Plugshare. Maybe, you can also use Plugshare to update your list. Have a look: Tesla CCS Locations

Let me know if your list is more updated or Plugshare.

Thanks for sharing the list. I usually use Plugshare to locate charging stations, and for CSS Tesla chargers I just checked through Plugshare. Maybe, you can also use Plugshare to update your list. Have a look: Tesla CCS Locations

Let me know if your list is more updated or Plugshare.
Given that Plugshare is crowdsourced, it's always possible that someone might find a new MagicDock site in the wild before it goes live, but I make it a habit to check on the tesla.com/findus site every day or two to see if any new sites have been added (and sadly, it hasn't really been the case), so I'm pretty sure fastcharger.info is pretty up to date. I also monitor a few Twitter feeds/hashtags in the hopes of catching one about to go live.

Tesla owners will want to know so they can avoid those locations. 😛
Nope. I am a Tesla owner and it is the EV of my six (four are motorcycles) that I charge the least on the road. Since I have owned my Tesla M3, LR, AWD in year 2018, I have charged it on the road three times total in those five years. But CCS I want to use almost every day on my motorcycles that have a shorter range than most cars.

I have used the Magic Dock here. If you click on the photo, you will see my 2023 Energica Experia motorcycle charging there using the Magic Dock on 3-3 23. Could only get 12KW from the Magic Dock. Down the street at a real CCS, it will charge at 25KW. But 12KW is better than nothing.

BTW, that is a location where I agree with you that they should NOT have Majic Dock. No need for it, many other CCS stations nearby. And that place often has all the Superchargers in use. I had to wait to use one, but just a few minutes and then several Teslas left at the same time.

It seems to me that Tesla is starting the Magic Dock at the locations that are not needed. I only went there to the one in Placerville to try it. And that one I will never use again.

But my question is does Tesla plan on making every one of their Superchargers CCS compatible? I am especially interested in places such as Lake Topaz, NV where they ONLY have Tesla and NOTHING else for countless miles. Next CCS is BridgePort, CA. Same issue at Susanville, CA and many other places. My Tesla can make it all the way to Bridgeport without a stop at Lake Topaz. But my bikes can only make it to Lake Topaz, which does me no good without a way to charge near there. And it is rare to see more than one of the six SCs being used there.

Or are they going to be like Wal*Mart and only put their chargers in locations that are not needed much? No CCS at the Wal*Mart in Susanville, CA. And no other CCS in that area for countless miles. . They do have Tesla Superchargers in Susanville.

And if they do plan to do them all, when is the expected completion date?

-Don- Reno, NV

Nope. I am a Tesla owner and it is the EV of my six (four are motorcycles) that I charge the least on the road. Since I have owned my Tesla M3, LR, AWD in year 2018, I have charged it on the road three times total in those five years. But CCS I want to use almost every day on my motorcycles that have a shorter range than most cars.

I have used the Magic Dock here. If you click on the photo, you will see my 2023 Energica Experia motorcycle charging there using the Magic Dock on 3-3 23. Could only get 12KW from the Magic Dock. Down the street at a real CCS, it will charge at 25KW. But 12KW is better than nothing.

BTW, that is a location where I agree with you that they should NOT have Majic Dock. No need for it, many other CCS stations nearby. And that place often has all the Superchargers in use. I had to wait to use one, but just a few minutes and then several Teslas left at the same time.

It seems to me that Tesla is starting the Magic Dock at the locations that are not needed. I only went there to the one in Placerville to try it. And that one I will never use again.

But my question is does Tesla plan on making every one of their Superchargers CCS compatible? I am especially interested in places such as Lake Topaz, NV where they ONLY have Tesla and NOTHING else for countless miles. Next CCS is BridgePort, CA. Same issue at Susanville, CA and many other places. My Tesla can make it all the way to Bridgeport without a stop at Lake Topaz. But my bikes can only make it to Lake Topaz, which does me no good without a way to charge near there. And it is rare to see more than one of the six SCs being used there.

Or are they going to be like Wal*Mart and only put their chargers in locations that are not needed much? No CCS at the Wal*Mart in Susanville, CA. And no other CCS in that area for countless miles. . They do have Tesla Superchargers in Susanville.

And if they do plan to do them all, when is the expected completion date?

-Don- Reno, NV

We know nothing other than the Feds announced something like 10% would be opened up. Who knows when or even if Magic Dock will ultimately do that.
We do know that V4 Superchargers have longer cables, attached differently to a larger stall that should better support various vehicles so we may find that we'll only see wide Magic Dock when Tesla has fully tested both (which have limited sites) and goes into full production with them.

This is why I have flashbacks to the V3 launch when everybody was asking whether a site was V3 and for a long time none were other than a demo site.

However, the Ford deal will require Tesla to make CCS to NACS adapters and maybe they'll go that route as well.

Now that Ford and GM are both going the NACS route, is the Magic Dock project a low priority for Tesla ?
It's unlikely that anybody on this forum can reply authoritatively. To the best of my knowledge, neither Tesla nor Elon Musk has said anything about this (although I might have missed such a statement), so anything you read here would either be an internal leak (which seem to be fairly rare) or largely speculative.

My own speculation is that the future of the Magic Dock will depend on how many, and which, automakers switch to NACS. If every automaker were to sign deals like the ones that Ford and GM have struck, then Magic Dock would become irrelevant -- any CCS1 driver who wants to use Superchargers will be able to get an adapter and do so without the help of a Magic Dock. There might be issues of payment, though -- if the adapters cost money, some owners will opt to not spend that money, but they might be willing to use a Magic Dock Supercharger. This would be a point in favor of continuing to deploy Magic Docks, but doing so would make much less sense to Tesla, financially, unless these deployments were close to 100% subsidized. If, OTOH, no more automakers follow Ford and GM, then there will continue to be reason to deploy Magic Docks, albeit not as much of a reason as there seemed to be (from a public point of view) a month ago. There are plenty of in-between options, too, like if most automakers sign on to NACS but there are a few holdouts who refuse to do so.

Of course, Tesla knows what negotiations are currently going on, so Tesla may have already decided with certainty what they'll be doing; or there may be enough uncertainty, even within Tesla, that they haven't made any final decisions.

Almost as important as the connector is the ability for non-Tesla owners to access the Tesla App. This will allow information on the site, store a Credit Card to pay for the charge, show availability of stalls, and essentially replacate the Tesla charging experience.

2nd point is that GM and Ford dealerships will no longer be forced to install their own customer high speed chargers, provide parking for them etc.

Having one universal charging system along American highways (including Canada and Mexico) may make N.America the finest EV charging system in the World. Will only be a matter of time until other Countries get with the program as well.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Almost as important as the connector is the ability for non-Tesla owners to access the Tesla App. This will allow information on the site, store a Credit Card to pay for the charge, show availability of stalls, and essentially replacate the Tesla charging experience.
My understanding is that the Ford and GM deals will enable Ford and GM drivers to charge at Superchargers without the Tesla app, with real-time Supercharger data being added to Ford and GM navigation systems. (At least, on cars that provide that data; IIRC, the early Bolts didn't include any in-car navigation at all. I don't know if that's changed with more recent versions of the Bolt.) As I understand it, payment will be made via Ford and GM accounts; customers won't need to open Tesla accounts. Jim Farley explicitly said in an interview or in the Twitter Spaces announcement that the ability to tie this all in through Ford's own app and in-car systems, rather than requiring Ford owners to use the Tesla app, was a deal-breaker requirement for Ford.
2nd point is that GM and Ford dealerships will no longer be forced to install their own customer high speed chargers, provide parking for them etc.
Do you have a reference to back up this claim? This is the first I've heard that either automaker is relaxing requirements on dealers to provide on-site charging. It would surprise me if this was true, since the whole reason for this requirement is to ensure that dealers can quickly and easily charge cars for test drives and for quick delivery to customers.
Having one universal charging system along American highways (including Canada and Mexico) may make N.America the finest EV charging system in the World. Will only be a matter of time until other Countries get with the program as well.
Many other countries already have their own charging standards. Europe has standardized on CCS2 and China has standardized on GB/T, for instance. CCS2 (or more precisely, the Type 2 connector that is the equivalent of J1772, and that is therefore a component of CCS2) supports 240v, 3-phase AC power, which is common in Europe; NACS does not support this (it doesn't have enough wires). Thus, the odds of Europe adopting NACS are basically nil. I'm less familiar with the Chinese GB/T or what's going on there. I have heard that Chinese and Japanese automakers are working to harmonize GB/T and CHAdeMO, with the goal of creating something that's backward-compatible with both for use across Asia.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H
Seems inevitable that MagicDock is now dead, except maybe in cases where Tesla can garner federal dollars, in the short-term, for building out chargers that support CCS. At some point, the IRA-related wording will likely be reworded, eventually, to accept NACS as a public charging standard, allowing Tesla to gain federal dollars for building normal V3/V4 superchargers. Yes, some of this is arguably speculation, but the writing is now on the wall… All over it… CCS1 is dead (It just doesn’t know it yet). And to reinforce the point, check out yesterday’s Out of Spec YouTube video.

Interesting that they chose Texas for this new testing of MagicDock.

Tesla restarts Magic Dock installations by bringing them to new area

F2fAFxuWQAAxSgB.jpeg

Does anyone know the power rating. Folks on one of the Lightning forums tried to tell me they were V3’s 250kw. They also said we couldn’t connect because Tesla supercharges communicate via blue tooth and can’t talk to a Lightning. Pics above seem to indicate otherwise. Wonder how it works if the current tesla app only deals with our cars.

Could someone that has actually charged a Lightning explain what happened and how it worked?

Does anyone know the power rating. Folks on one of the Lightning forums tried to tell me they were V3’s 250kw. They also said we couldn’t connect because Tesla supercharges communicate via blue tooth and can’t talk to a Lightning. Pics above seem to indicate otherwise. Wonder how it works if the current tesla app only deals with our cars.

Could someone that has actually charged a Lightning explain what happened and how it worked?
I don't have a Lightning, but the process definitely does not involve Bluetooth.

See: https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

The user would download the Tesla app (they don't actually need to have a car to do this), input their payment method, and then when they arrive at a participating Supercharger, they would use the app to select the stall number which unlocks the magic dock. They would then plug in the magic dock to their CCS inlet, at which point the Supercharger would communicate with the vehicle using the usual CCS protocol. Billing would go to the payment method entered into the app that unlocked the magic dock.

And yes, all of the magic dock equipped Superchargers are in fact 250kW V3's.

I don't have a Lightning, but the process definitely does not involve Bluetooth.

See: https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

The user would download the Tesla app (they don't actually need to have a car to do this), input their payment method, and then when they arrive at a participating Supercharger, they would use the app to select the stall number which unlocks the magic dock. They would then plug in the magic dock to their CCS inlet, at which point the Supercharger would communicate with the vehicle using the usual CCS protocol. Billing would go to the payment method entered into the app that unlocked the magic dock.

And yes, all of the magic dock equipped Superchargers are in fact 250kW V3's.
V3 superchargers can provide almost 260 kW, but only if the connected EV requests at least that much power. Some EVs can only handle 50kW, for example. A Ford Lightning can only accept about 150kW right now; maybe a little more later after a possible software update. The EVs battery pack voltage also affects how many kW they can accept. Some EVs can theoretically accept over 300 kW, but usually only if they are 800v+ architectures. And since V3 superchargers are currently only handling 400v charging, weird things occur like a 900v Lucid Aire can only charge as fast as a Chevy Bolt! (~50kW).