Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does CCS Magic-dock allow CCS Equipped Salvage Tesla's to Charge with Superchargers again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine a scenario where someone's done their own shoddy repair work, and their car is intermittently shorting a live wire to the car's body. Someone gets out of their car next to it and is lethally electrocuted just because their shirt grazes the body of the vehicle.
I don't think u understand how electricity works...
This scenario is not physically possible...
Um. @brainhouston ? I'm a EE. I certainly do know how electricity works. I've worked on ridiculously high voltage, high power systems (think: megawatt RADARs), and other stuff where I have, literally, picked up the smoked remains and diagnosed What Went On. When What Went On included fun stuff like lightning strikes.

@father_of_6 's scenario is very believable. In fact, it used to happen all the time in the 1950's and later; it's one of the reasons that power tools come double-insulated these days. Some wire would get loose, typically the "hot" (as compared to hot and neutral), and the clothes washer, drier, or drill would then be at the full 120 VAC with respect to neutral. The poor schmuck using whatever-it-was would come in contact with, say, a bit of piping (easy to do in a laundry or garage) with a foot, the other arm, or whatever, be in contact with the live shell, and that would be all she wrote. Lots of people got killed that way.

With double insulation everything, hot and neutral, are isolated from the outside shell of the equipment. Now, even with that, it's possible that a hot wire might come loose and put potential on the metal shell; but it's much less likely. Which cut down on deaths quite a bit. Even with that, most high power gear has not just two wires (hot and neutral), but a ground wire as well. The idea being that a hot coming in contact with a grounded shell of some equipment, like a washing machine, will simply blow the breaker, since, at the breaker panel, neutral and ground are bonded together.

So, let's take it as a given that Teslas are double insulated; as part of that, the negative and positive terminals of the battery, the terminals on the motors, and anything else associated with the high voltage would both be isolated from the shell of the car. I dunno, Tesla may or may not have done that. For one thing, most automotive electrical systems don't do that; the negative terminal of the 12V battery is bonded to the shell of the car. But, just for argument, let's say that Tesla did isolated both sides of the battery, everything hooked electrically to the battery, and that includes the charging system, motors, and everything else (like the HVAC) that's hooked to that battery.

Fine. The car's got a salvage title. A couple of weeks ago, on another thread on TMC, a bunch of us were chatting with a New Zelander who had a salvage car, dragged out of a flooded area, liberally coated with mud. We kind of warned him he was in for it, but it's a hobby. It's nice to have a hobby, and his was to get the car into working order.

So, mud. Mud with water. Mud with water permeating everything, including the electronics and wiring. Mud with water is conductive. It's one thing if we're talking about power cables with rubber seals all over; it's another if water and silt has gone higher than the dash, and the car's sat in it. Everything was exposed to that stuff.

Worse, mud and water makes things corrode. Think some piece of metal bolted to another piece of metal on the bottom of the car is still in electrical contact with the rest of the frame? Ha. Think that something on the negative terminal is connected to some $RANDOM part of the frame, and something with a line to the positive terminal is connected to some other portion of the frame? In this kind of muddy condition, everything is connected to everything. And it doesn't take full voltage to kill somebody; anything over 60V or so can do it, and one only needs a hundred mA to do the job.

Beyond that: 60V and a 100 mA is enough to heat something to the point of catching on fire, at which point all heck can break loose. And it's not like any of these connections are stable: chemical action just runs its course.

For this guy, the assumption is that everything is damaged and dangerous unless thoroughly proven otherwise.

Finally: This guy simply had a car that had been soaked in a flooding river for a while. From the pictures, nothing had actually run into said car. Salvage title cars are often the results of accidents where serious metal bending has taken place. Teslas that have been in horrific accidents have caught on fire, just like a gasoline-based car can. My point is that the "fire" part might not happen right off; it can take a while.

Look: I never said that a salvage title vehicle can't be brought back to life. Safely, even. The problem isn't with the car: It's with the people doing the work. People, both of nefarious and non-nefarious bent, like to take short cuts. And if there's some kind of mandate that says that Tesla has to take all comers, it's not a matter of if we get an exploding car at a Supercharger, it's simply when.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Car already has built in detection for external/internal isolation, this is #1 safety concern, it doesn't have to be physically tested.
Yes it does. People repairing salvage cars may just clear a fault that might be intermittent. Look at the test flow chart for a battery even without fault and see how extensive it is. I highly doubt a self test would be able to test it so thoroughly. Some of that process also allows the technician to examine the connectors for moisture or corrosion.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10052460-6095.pdf

There are similar test procedures for hybrids. Manufacturers would not be developing such processes if automated tests were able to reliably test for this.

If dent is deep enough it'll touch the cells n cause isolation error, if not it doesn't affect anything so why the 8mm spec?...
The battery modules are have plastic covers on both sides, so even if case touches, it will not necessarily mean an isolation error. It's likely worry about deformation or pressure on parts of the cells more than necessarily electrical contact with the case. That can cause an internal short that might not throw an isolation error but can still lead to fire.

If battery case has a crack or hole somewhere, it will get water inside sooner or later n cause isolation error (ask me how i know) so again unnecessary..
But whatever, at least Tesla offers a way to get SC back.
Or if the person is in a bout of dry weather and then one day they decide to supercharge in the rain...

For every example you are assuming the best case scenario, but you can't assume the best case scenario here. Safety is about assuming the worst case. Also many states have almost no safety standards for how salvage cars can get a rebuilt title, especially as it relates to the EV components. For example in California (the most popular state for Teslas) the only safety related things that need to be certified are the brakes and lamps. Yes, some salvage cars are minor fender benders, but many are not and the rebuilt title process does almost nothing to ensure they were properly repaired.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Um. @brainhouston ? I'm a EE. I certainly do know how electricity works. I've worked on ridiculously high voltage, high power systems (think: megawatt RADARs), and other stuff where I have, literally, picked up the smoked remains and diagnosed What Went On. When What Went On included fun stuff like lightning strikes.

@father_of_6 's scenario is very believable. In fact, it used to happen all the time in the 1950's and later; it's one of the reasons that power tools come double-insulated these days. Some wire would get loose, typically the "hot" (as compared to hot and neutral), and the clothes washer, drier, or drill would then be at the full 120 VAC with respect to neutral. The poor schmuck using whatever-it-was would come in contact with, say, a bit of piping (easy to do in a laundry or garage) with a foot, the other arm, or whatever, be in contact with the live shell, and that would be all she wrote. Lots of people got killed that way.

With double insulation everything, hot and neutral, are isolated from the outside shell of the equipment. Now, even with that, it's possible that a hot wire might come loose and put potential on the metal shell; but it's much less likely. Which cut down on deaths quite a bit. Even with that, most high power gear has not just two wires (hot and neutral), but a ground wire as well. The idea being that a hot coming in contact with a grounded shell of some equipment, like a washing machine, will simply blow the breaker, since, at the breaker panel, neutral and ground are bonded together.

So, let's take it as a given that Teslas are double insulated; as part of that, the negative and positive terminals of the battery, the terminals on the motors, and anything else associated with the high voltage would both be isolated from the shell of the car. I dunno, Tesla may or may not have done that. For one thing, most automotive electrical systems don't do that; the negative terminal of the 12V battery is bonded to the shell of the car. But, just for argument, let's say that Tesla did isolated both sides of the battery, everything hooked electrically to the battery, and that includes the charging system, motors, and everything else (like the HVAC) that's hooked to that battery.

Fine. The car's got a salvage title. A couple of weeks ago, on another thread on TMC, a bunch of us were chatting with a New Zelander who had a salvage car, dragged out of a flooded area, liberally coated with mud. We kind of warned him he was in for it, but it's a hobby. It's nice to have a hobby, and his was to get the car into working order.

So, mud. Mud with water. Mud with water permeating everything, including the electronics and wiring. Mud with water is conductive. It's one thing if we're talking about power cables with rubber seals all over; it's another if water and silt has gone higher than the dash, and the car's sat in it. Everything was exposed to that stuff.

Worse, mud and water makes things corrode. Think some piece of metal bolted to another piece of metal on the bottom of the car is still in electrical contact with the rest of the frame? Ha. Think that something on the negative terminal is connected to some $RANDOM part of the frame, and something with a line to the positive terminal is connected to some other portion of the frame? In this kind of muddy condition, everything is connected to everything. And it doesn't take full voltage to kill somebody; anything over 60V or so can do it, and one only needs a hundred mA to do the job.

Beyond that: 60V and a 100 mA is enough to heat something to the point of catching on fire, at which point all heck can break loose. And it's not like any of these connections are stable: chemical action just runs its course.

For this guy, the assumption is that everything is damaged and dangerous unless thoroughly proven otherwise.

Finally: This guy simply had a car that had been soaked in a flooding river for a while. From the pictures, nothing had actually run into said car. Salvage title cars are often the results of accidents where serious metal bending has taken place. Teslas that have been in horrific accidents have caught on fire, just like a gasoline-based car can. My point is that the "fire" part might not happen right off; it can take a while.

Look: I never said that a salvage title vehicle can't be brought back to life. Safely, even. The problem isn't with the car: It's with the people doing the work. People, both of nefarious and non-nefarious bent, like to take short cuts. And if there's some kind of mandate that says that Tesla has to take all comers, it's not a matter of if we get an exploding car at a Supercharger, it's simply when.
Howdy then, I'm EE too ;)
I think u need to review how EVs are built...
You're comparing house/commercial electricity, where EVERYTHING is connected at some point to Earths Ground that ur standing on vs EV where HV is completely isolated n car sits on rubber tires...
If say one HV side is connected to body n u touch it, guess what? nothing happens, yes ur at that ~400/800v potential but ur not making a connection to other side of the HV battery..
And if both sides of HV get somehow connected to cars body, guess what, its a short n everything is up in flames the minute both sides touch...
So again, scenario of a human touching EV n getting electrocuted is never possible unless ur purposely get inside n touch some HV bare wire/component ..

And no, none of EV designs have anything HV connected to cars shell. Thats why HV system is isolated n ACTIVE monitoring in place to shut it off if ever that gets connected to body.

Yeah i follow the thread with muddy car, my bet is he gonna fix it n it'll run just fine

Show me any salvaged cars that burned up due to bad repairs... I haven't heard of any...

Sure, Tesla can be extra safe n do whatever they want but i'm just saying they already built in all the necessary safeties in the car n its good enough

• Disagree
Reactions: Synthax and Rocky_H
Why? Because no path to ground? What if it's raining and they're standing in a puddle of water?
Doesn't matter, Cars HV is not connected to earth ground
Read my above post.
Only way to get electrocuted if u connect one HV side to cars body n another to earth...
Find me a scenario where this could happen...
Apropos question as the poster is from Washington State. I don't know if he's from the "wet" side or not, but if he is, he should know that!
Yes, from rainy WA n i know all about electricity too ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Synthax and Rocky_H
Only way to get electrocuted if u connect one HV side to cars body n another to earth...
Find me a scenario where this could happen...

Aren't we saying the same thing? If the energy coming from the SuperCharger is shorted to the body (e.g. part of the charger behind the driver's side tail light is shorted to the body), and a human with a good connection to earth touches it (e.g. soaking wet standing in a puddle), it's death - right?

• Disagree
Reactions: Synthax
Doesn't matter, Cars HV is not connected to earth ground
Yes, from rainy WA n i know all about electricity too ;)

Then you will also know that two independent circuits can nevertheless have potential current flow. And, both terminals of a 400 volt battery can still cause current flow between the one terminal and ground. Nikolai Tesla used to handle light bulb to people and let the current flow through them to the ground, with him broadcasting electricity. If he can light up a tungsten bulb that way, certainly we can cause some interesting issues from the battery to ground. True, he was using AC current, whereas we're talking dc. But, electricity clothes whether your AC or dc.

But then, that's just my guess.

Howdy then, I'm EE too ;)
I think u need to review how EVs are built...
You're comparing house/commercial electricity, where EVERYTHING is connected at some point to Earths Ground that ur standing on vs EV where HV is completely isolated n car sits on rubber tires...
If say one HV side is connected to body n u touch it, guess what? nothing happens, yes ur at that ~400/800v potential but ur not making a connection to other side of the HV battery..
And if both sides of HV get somehow connected to cars body, guess what, its a short n everything is up in flames the minute both sides touch...
So again, scenario of a human touching EV n getting electrocuted is never possible unless ur purposely get inside n touch some HV bare wire/component ..

And no, none of EV designs have anything HV connected to cars shell. Thats why HV system is isolated n ACTIVE monitoring in place to shut it off if ever that gets connected to body.

Yeah i follow the thread with muddy car, my bet is he gonna fix it n it'll run just fine

Show me any salvaged cars that burned up due to bad repairs... I haven't heard of any...

Sure, Tesla can be extra safe n do whatever they want but i'm just saying they already built in all the necessary safeties in the car n its good enough
Here's an example of a repaired Tesla catching on fire. Looking for salvage specifically is hard because the media won't bother digging that deep nor will the owner necessarily want to say it is salvage. But that the risk of a fire is higher for a Tesla that had been in an accident is fairly self evident.
And as I pointed out, there is practically no standard for salvage repair as it relates for EV components. California only cares if the brakes and lights still work, they don't have examinations of the car beyond that (other than smog requirements that all cars need to comply with).

Last edited:
Aren't we saying the same thing? If the energy coming from the SuperCharger is shorted to the body (e.g. part of the charger behind the driver's side tail light is shorted to the body), and a human with a good connection to earth touches it (e.g. soaking wet standing in a puddle), it's death - right?
He is pointing out the fact that unlike grid electricity or the 12V battery, the DC connection of a HV battery is isolated from ground. As such, to electrocute someone, a current path needs to be made between the positive and negative terminals of the HV battery pack. That path does not go through ground.

In fact there are electronics inside to detect when that isolation is lost and to use the contactors to disconnect the battery when that is the case.

Reactions: brainhouston
i suppose in theory its possible but again BMS will disable HV as soon as one of the sides touches the body and i'm pretty sure SC has "gfci like" circuit in place to shut off if it ever senses leak to earth...
thanks for good scenario tho, i didn't consider charging...

He is pointing out the fact that unlike grid electricity or the 12V battery, the DC connection of a HV battery is isolated from ground. As such, to electrocute someone, a current path needs to be made between the positive and negative terminals of the HV battery pack. That path does not go through ground.

In fact there are electronics inside to detect when that isolation is lost and to use the contactors to disconnect the battery when that is the case.

So AC at home has it's own ground, but DC requires you to bring your own ground? (Or be between positive and negative). To me, getting lethal amounts of energy from the battery or SuperCharger to a human inside or outside of the car seems very feasible - without even having to dream up a super creative scenario.

... BMS will disable HV as soon as...

But not before the current flows through the human. How long will the current flow before the GFCI-like device breaks the connection? Like 25 milliseconds or more?

I'm not an EE or a doctor, but I suspect that 25 milliseconds of 480 volts / 200 amps would be enough to kill all but the healthiest and luckiest of recipients. Add water to the mix.

So AC at home has it's own ground, but DC requires you to bring your own ground? (Or be between positive and negative). To me, getting lethal amounts of energy from the battery or SuperCharger to a human inside or outside of the car seems very feasible - without even having to dream up a super creative scenario.

But not before the current flows through the human. How long will the current flow before the GFCI-like device breaks the connection? Like 25 milliseconds or more?

I'm not an EE or a doctor, but I suspect that 25 milliseconds of 480 volts / 200 amps would be enough to kill all but the healthiest and luckiest of recipients. Add water to the mix.
I'll actually play devil's advocate for a bit.

From the descriptions, a Tesla is pretty much like a double-insulated power tool: There's multiple layers of protection between the high voltage and everything else.

On a power tool, say, a drill, that's relatively easy to achieve. Everything on a power tool can be very thoroughly isolated from ground and not affect the functioning of the tool in any way.

With a car, that's a bit more difficult. For fun, with a Tesla, let's take on the DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery.

I work with isolated DC-DC converters quite a bit. On the input side, one has a DC voltage that, courtesy of one or more switching transistors, a choke, and some capacitors sends the current from the input source through a winding on a transformer first one way, then the other, effectively creating an AC (alternating current) through the primary of this transformer.

On the secondary side, which is not connected in a dc sense to the primary side, diodes or transistors are used to rectify the voltage and current coming off the secondary winding. A little filtering later, one has a DC voltage of one's choice.

There will be some feedback, typically through an optoisolater (i.e., no DC electrical connection between input and output on this device), back to the primary side of this converter. There'll be some interesting chips or three that do pulse width modulation, checks for under voltage, over voltage, over current, so that the output is the voltage (or possibly current.. this kind of topology is flexible) is what one wants.

Take an ohmmeter, put one probe on any wire on the primary side of the converter, put the other probe on the secondary side of the converter, and one will see infinity ohms. Get out the good old POT (POtential Tester), crank it up to whatever-withstand-voltage-the-converter-is-rated-to, and one will see zero leakage. (2500 volts is a nominal figure: Some DC-DC's of which I'm aware hit 10 kV.)

So, ta-da: Floating high voltage DC on one side. Take the negative terminal of the output of the converter and hook it to frame ground and the output side is ground-referenced.

So, sorta like our double-insulated power tool, a Tesla has isolation between its high-voltage guts and the rest of the car. With one rather critical difference: There are actual electrical components between the "floating" high voltage DC side and the low-voltage, 12V, the rest of the car side.

This should be a surprise to absolutely nobody, but electronics die. Insulators short, resistors don't, capacitors have all sorts of oddball failure modes, inductors overheat, transistors melt. And, while a lot of these failures have direct causes (hello, lightning bolt!), some of them are.. ageing. Wear-out mechanisms. Corrosion.

Take one of these spiffy DC-DC converters, soak it in a salty bath for a day or three, throw it in a bucket of rice. And it might work. Or not. Or 99 will work, one won't.

So, Tesla knows this. They have, apparently, done some work and have come up with some nifty test circuits. The most obvious would be to put a little power source on the high voltage side (or low voltage side, I don't care) and see if they can get a little current to flow where it doesn't flow. Cool. So, it wouldn't be just one flaw, like a DC-DC converter (or one of the components inside of it), it would take two flaws, both in the converter and in the test widget. Under these kind of circumstances, I'd build a test circuit device that's the most rugged piece of electronics known to man, with all sorts of fail-safe design built into it.

And, if it works, it makes the honking big contactor in line with the high voltage DC to open. Oops: third circuit.

Take a big step back. On the one hand, EE maniacs have probably had their way with the safety issues surrounding high voltage in a Tesla. Under normal circumstances, getting two or even three pieces of hardware to fail at the same time results in tiny, tiny FIT rates that means one would get the stars to line up for a failure, on average, every million or three years. Where "normal circumstances" probably means driving the car through a continual salt bath, freezing temperatures, desert overtemperatures, and all that jazz. And you can bet your bottom dollar this design has been inspected, over-inspected, and beat over the head with a metaphorical sledgehammer until the people involved couldn't come up with anything any more. It's kind of like NASA sending Satellites to Pluto: there's a whole design field out there for Making Things Work, No Matter What.

And then there's our buddy in New Zealand. With, and I kid you not, caked mud all over the top of the dash. On the inside. This is so far from normal it's not even funny. So, despite all the brickbats I've been getting from the denizens of this thread, I still think that Tesla's got a point.

Let's move on to shocking behavior. (Rimshot! I'll be here all week.)

Basic move: If one wants to die, then grab one high voltage with the left hand, the other end on the right, and let the AC or DC current flow right through one's chest. Let the onset catch one's heart and its built-in pacemaker at the wrong spot, or let enough current flow that one's heart gets literally cooked, and one's heart will stop. Maybe some CPR will get one back if one is lucky, maybe not. Current to do this is in the 10's of mA.

Then, take a look at yours truly. Was working on a no-kidding RADAR one day and got connected to 500V, pulsed, at the RADAR repetition rate. I fell down and, luckily, lost contact. Was pretty shaky, went down to medical. They looked me over, noted that I wasn't dead. Or smoked. And told me to take a break for a while.

I was standing on a rubber mat. (Safety first!). It probably went from a finger through my forearm and back to metal. So, no heart.

I've known people who've hit 240 VAC and survived. And, as I'm sure a crowd of others have noted, 120 VAC isn't that uncommon to be shocked by.

Things that save people: Ohms law says current = V/R. Got dry skin? Very high resistance, that. Got low voltage (official safety voltage: 60V)? Even with wet skin, you're probably safe. My comments about Where That Current Flows.. Well, stopping a heart is never a good idea. But people who get hit by lightning either don't get the heart beat cycle quite right, the current doesn't happen to go there, but one can still end up with cooked nerves, muscles, and what-all that can be very difficult to live with, assuming that one survives.

Point is: People get shocked, know other people who got shocked, and somehow come to the conclusion that, since nobody they know is dead, this stuff isn't that dangerous. Um. Roughly 1000 people a year in the U.S. die of electrocution. Mostly workplace, where there's some seriously high potentials floating about. But, still.

So AC at home has it's own ground, but DC requires you to bring your own ground? (Or be between positive and negative).
Although the DC cable has a ground pin (used for safety and reference), the actual power pins are "floating" and has no ground path. From what I can find, this isolation is maintained by the charger also, there is a DC-DC isolation step to isolate the connection from the grid. This is different from your home electricity where there is always a path to ground via neutral.
To me, getting lethal amounts of energy from the battery or SuperCharger to a human inside or outside of the car seems very feasible - without even having to dream up a super creative scenario.
I suppose you can come up with a scenario (maybe like a failure in both the charger/cable and also inside the car), but it's a bit different than in cases of charging at home with AC due to the the above factor.

Teslatap says one supply for the contactor for a 85kWh pack is GIGVAC GV200-004-D, and that one releases in 12ms.
Couldn't find the exact TE model listed by Teslatap, but a similar one says 10ms.
So I presume that is the ballpark. Add on whatever delay for the fault detection circuit.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Anybody want to factor Formula 1 cars into the discussion?…
These cars have a high voltage battery pack and an electric motor, plus ICE, of course. They all have a safe/unsafe indicator so that the safety crews know if they can touch the car or not. Sometimes the crews have to use the big rubber safety gloves in order to touch the car, so clearly, in some situations, the high voltage DC battery (normally isolated), and the car frame, can interact in bad ways for the nearby humans.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Here's an example of a repaired Tesla catching on fire. Looking for salvage specifically is hard because the media won't bother digging that deep nor will the owner necessarily want to say it is salvage. But that the risk of a fire is higher for a Tesla that had been in an accident is fairly self evident.
And as I pointed out, there is practically no standard for salvage repair as it relates for EV components. California only cares if the brakes and lights still work, they don't have examinations of the car beyond that (other than smog requirements that all cars need to comply with).
In the very same article it was mentioned that the fire started inside the car. This wasn't a high voltage fault, nothing was wrong with the battery, and by amount of damage done to the car it's clear that the battery never even caught fire. This kind of failure could happen to any car on the road with a fault in its low voltage wiring, and these types of fires happen all the time to every make of car. Someone repaired it shittily, it had a low voltage electrical fire, whether the thing is allowed to DC fast charge is utterly irrelevant. There has still never been a case of a rebuilt Tesla catching fire while DC fast charging. There are so many redundant safety systems in place that a bad pack or an HV system with an isolation fault would never even begin charging, let alone continue having 400v crammed into it till it overheats and blows the pack. It wouldn't drive either, so good luck getting a Tesla with a major HV fault to the charger in the first place without towing it there. And even if you did, it's not unlocking its charge port locking lug or even opening the charger door if it isn't satisfied it's in a good state to charge.

In the very same article it was mentioned that the fire started inside the car. This wasn't a high voltage fault, nothing was wrong with the battery, and by amount of damage done to the car it's clear that the battery never even caught fire. This kind of failure could happen to any car on the road with a fault in its low voltage wiring, and these types of fires happen all the time to every make of car. Someone repaired it shittily, it had a low voltage electrical fire, whether the thing is allowed to DC fast charge is utterly irrelevant. There has still never been a case of a rebuilt Tesla catching fire while DC fast charging. There are so many redundant safety systems in place that a bad pack or an HV system with an isolation fault would never even begin charging, let alone continue having 400v crammed into it till it overheats and blows the pack. It wouldn't drive either, so good luck getting a Tesla with a major HV fault to the charger in the first place without towing it there. And even if you did, it's not unlocking its charge port locking lug or even opening the charger door if it isn't satisfied it's in a good state to charge.
OP asked for a salvage car catching on fire, I gave an example of a repaired car catching on fire. As for whether it's from the HV, that doesn't particularly matter. An LV component catching fire while at an supercharger is just as bad.

As for no DC charging fires so far, a major part of that has to do with Tesla banning them from supercharging, making them undesirable for DC charging (previously only the CHAdeMO adapter was the only non-Tesla option prior to CCS).

I'll link back to my previous comment why the safety inspection is necessary for salvage cars, and why the automated safety features are not necessarily sufficient once a car has been in a major accident and the repair is of unknown quality:

I'm not really worried about fires, but instead branded title cars that have no electrical issues having Supercharging disabled. 4 pages later, no one with a SC disabled car has been able to answer; my curiosity still awaits a Rich Rebuilds-esque video to find out!

Can't recall if it was this thread (not gonna re-read) or other but someone confirmed that Tesla uses its own proprietary communication first for charging before it switches over to CCS..
So unless u can Hack that somehow, u can't force it to use CCS n look like 'Non-Tesla' car...

I'm not really worried about fires, but instead branded title cars that have no electrical issues having Supercharging disabled. 4 pages later, no one with a SC disabled car has been able to answer; my curiosity still awaits a Rich Rebuilds-esque video to find out!
Um. So, this is definitely a corner case.
  1. Branded Car. (Presumably, this is a Tesla.)
  2. No electrical issues. (Hm.. According to whom?)
  3. Supercharging Disabled.
If it's some $RANDOM gonzo standing up and saying, "It's got no electrical issues!" I have this mental image of some backyard mechanic with bits and pieces of wires dripping off this person. Naturally, saying, "It's got not electrical issues" in your hypothetical apparently means it hasn't been tested on an actual DC Fast Charger. Made by Tesla. Because Tesla has at least two standard, its pre-NACS standard that doesn't know how to talk CCS1 protocol, and the NACS standard that does talk CCS1.

And "Supercharging disabled" could easily mean, "No valid credit card in the Tesla Account".

Now, if it's Tesla saying that the car doesn't have any electrical issues.. They'd probably just enable Supercharging.

Not everybody reads on-line forums, in particular, this forum. If there was a person in this corner case (say, they bought a Tesla from somebody, the car had some damage, but it wasn't electrical) and they didn't have have a Tesla Account, it'd be likely that they'd contact Tesla directly. Some flipping of title information back and forth, checking with the previous owner, and all that, and they'd probably get the account turned on.

For that matter, if it wqs a salvage title.. Pretty sure I've heard rumors that if a car's got a salvage title and the owner is fast talking enough, either Tesla or an authorized body shop will do an inspection, after which the car would enter the fold.

In all these cases: You then need the owner to show up here and post his/her experiences. Which, if there wasn't a major amount of drama, might not occur.

Can't recall if it was this thread (not gonna re-read) or other but someone confirmed that Tesla uses its own proprietary communication first for charging before it switches over to CCS..
So unless u can Hack that somehow, u can't force it to use CCS n look like 'Non-Tesla' car...
Are you sure you haven't mixed it up with AC charging and the Universal Wall Connector? That also uses a "Magic Dock", but is AC charging only. Tesla's protocol for AC have always been to start with Tesla handshake first and then fall back to J1772 when that fails (this was true years ago for Tesla's destination chargers and mobile/wall connectors).

I haven't seen the same analysis for supercharger Magic Dock anywhere.