Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does CCS Magic-dock allow CCS Equipped Salvage Tesla's to Charge with Superchargers again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure you haven't mixed it up with AC charging and the Universal Wall Connector? That also uses a "Magic Dock", but is AC charging only. Tesla's protocol for AC have always been to start with Tesla handshake first and then fall back to J1772 when that fails (this was true years ago for Tesla's destination chargers and mobile/wall connectors).

I haven't seen the same analysis for supercharger Magic Dock anywhere.
No i didn't :)
I found it but it wasn't Magic Dock station just the open for everyone SC.
I expect the same behavior from Magic Dock ones tho...

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
No i didn't :)
I found it but it wasn't Magic Dock station just the open for everyone SC.
I expect the same behavior from Magic Dock ones tho...

I looked at the thread. That's not magic dock. It seems that poster is not from the US and that was posted prior to Magic Dock being released (it was released February this year).

It makes complete sense for native CCS Tesla superchargers to try Tesla protocol first because that is the "native" connector for Tesla in their country.

Magic Dock however is different given there is no native Tesla that uses CCS connectors in the US. As such they may want to skip the Tesla protocol since presumably any CCS car plugging in would be a non-Tesla.

So the question remains unanswered as it relates to Magic Dock.

Last edited:
Reactions: brainhouston
Um. So, this is definitely a corner case.
  1. Branded Car. (Presumably, this is a Tesla.)
  2. No electrical issues. (Hm.. According to whom?)
  3. Supercharging Disabled.
If it's some $RANDOM gonzo standing up and saying, "It's got no electrical issues!" I have this mental image of some backyard mechanic with bits and pieces of wires dripping off this person. Naturally, saying, "It's got not electrical issues" in your hypothetical apparently means it hasn't been tested on an actual DC Fast Charger. Made by Tesla. Because Tesla has at least two standard, its pre-NACS standard that doesn't know how to talk CCS1 protocol, and the NACS standard that does talk CCS1.

And "Supercharging disabled" could easily mean, "No valid credit card in the Tesla Account".

Now, if it's Tesla saying that the car doesn't have any electrical issues.. They'd probably just enable Supercharging.

Not everybody reads on-line forums, in particular, this forum. If there was a person in this corner case (say, they bought a Tesla from somebody, the car had some damage, but it wasn't electrical) and they didn't have have a Tesla Account, it'd be likely that they'd contact Tesla directly. Some flipping of title information back and forth, checking with the previous owner, and all that, and they'd probably get the account turned on.

For that matter, if it wqs a salvage title.. Pretty sure I've heard rumors that if a car's got a salvage title and the owner is fast talking enough, either Tesla or an authorized body shop will do an inspection, after which the car would enter the fold.

In all these cases: You then need the owner to show up here and post his/her experiences. Which, if there wasn't a major amount of drama, might not occur.
Salvage titled teslas are very frequent. Tesla doesn’t pick and choose which cars lose supercharging. As far as I know, if it’s salvage titled, it loses supercharger access. With how easy it is to total out a Tesla with a simple fender bender, I don’t feel like this is an edge case at all. I see someone buying a high mileage, salvage title Tesla which hasn’t undergone a $1k inspection by Tesla to re-enable SC access.

Yes, he reports that it charges at CCS stations without any issue.

Thanks for verifying, that's important context. Unfortunately I don't have a twitter account, otherwise I would have dug look through the previous post myself for more details (as I did previously before Twitter changed things to make that not possible for the public to look through the rest of the conversation, only the individual post).