Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[lolachampcar] Performance Upgrade Efforts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noted that Tesla is now using a ball style joint (yea!!) on the outboard end of the upper link. The joint has a steel outer sleeve and thus the bore in the link is smaller for a tighter press fit. The folks at OpenEVSE may need to change the outer bore on their links (and subsequently make left and right link part numbers) to accommodate the new out board joint. Knowing Tesla, they have likely implemented this change on all product and not just the PD but I have no proof of that.

I noted that Tesla is now using a ball style joint (yea!!) on the outboard end of the upper link. The joint has a steel outer sleeve and thus the bore in the link is smaller for a tighter press fit. The folks at OpenEVSE may need to change the outer bore on their links (and subsequently make left and right link part numbers) to accommodate the new out board joint. Knowing Tesla, they have likely implemented this change on all product and not just the PD but I have no proof of that.
Right, now I remember you saying that up thread at this post. Thanks for reminding. So you still got your original design back on. Aside from install difficulty the mod still looks as solid as with the old joint?
I'm watching the tires closely and currently planning an alignment check around 1K mile to verify how it came from the factory as well as strongly push to get the alignment set to the minimum toe and camber settings possible while still being in their spec. After seeing how that goes, the new links will be my next step, if I feel it's necessary.

Only ever got 1500 or so miles out of my AO48s on my roadster, but not going to be acceptable to me to only get a few K on the S. Shooting for 10K plus anyway, 30+ even better, though can't see that happening on 21s with the original PS2s. If i can't get that out of the 21s, will be looking at 20s too, as you have. Just want to get a good baseline with the stock tires, wheels, and tweaked but stock alignment to start with.

Only ever got 1500 or so miles out of my AO48s on my roadster, but not going to be acceptable to me to only get a few K on the S. Shooting for 10K plus anyway, 30+ even better, though can't see that happening on 21s with the original PS2s. If i can't get that out of the 21s, will be looking at 20s too, as you have. Just want to get a good baseline with the stock tires, wheels, and tweaked but stock alignment to start with.

I had 9K miles on the rear 21s on my P+ when they had to be replaced. I have 14K on the fronts and there is still tread left. I drive aggressively (408 wh/mi lifetime average) so I am not dissatisfied with the tire wear on the PS2's.

Just did a quick scan of the thread but cannot find the settings you speak of.... can you point me to which page has this info? My car goes in for service one week from today, and though it is on the standard coils I'd assume the same alignment specs make sense. My car will be lowered about 1.5-inches all around with the modification to the shock bodies (new c-clip grooves)-- so any thing I can do to the alignment to help long term is great info.

Here are the settings I used:

The front was set to tesla specs
-0.70 Camber
3.55 Caster
-0.04 Toe

Rear was set as follows
-1.00 Camber
0.18 Toe

The rear camber settings would not have been possible without the adjustable links. The shop that did the work got the setting perfect.

Yes, the design is the same and there is "camber gain" built into the design. That is, negative camber will increase as the car lowers. The primary caveat and reason why wear has improved across the air fleet is that Tesla's current "Low" is the original production's "Standard" height. You can not achieve the original production "Low" without mucking with the car so the car does not see the same negative camber values in operation.

artsci,
You must be getting some fantastic wear numbers from your tires as those are some very friendly alignment settings.

No pictures although the way Tesla moved the damper around the front drive shaft was kinda neat.

WRT alignment specs, I took the negative camber that resulted from the chosen ride height with the longer upper links on the rear and put that on the front. If memory serves me, I think it was something like 1.3 degrees of negative camber all the way around. I think that was close to the adjustment range on the front suspension (as little negative camber as the adjusters would allow up front). I used the stock caster numbers for the front (as castor changes when you adjust camber).

Toe was set 0.10 to 0.15 degrees total front and rear with the front being toe out and the rear being toe in.

Hope that helps.

Yes, the design is the same and there is "camber gain" built into the design. That is, negative camber will increase as the car lowers. The primary caveat and reason why wear has improved across the air fleet is that Tesla's current "Low" is the original production's "Standard" height. You can not achieve the original production "Low" without mucking with the car so the car does not see the same negative camber values in operation.

artsci,
You must be getting some fantastic wear numbers from your tires as those are some very friendly alignment settings.

Thanks to you I'm off to a very good start. Let's see how this holds up through the summer and when I change back to the 21" wheels.

I had a chance to examine different rear toe values and straight line stability with my previous P+. I learned that near zero toe in on the rear of MS (0.1 - 0.15 degrees total toe in) was very good for range but allowed the car to follow irregularities in the road like rain grooves cut in concrete paving on the interstate. Conversely, higher toe in values (like 0.45+ total toe in) made the car track straight as an arrow but significantly impacted range.

Fast forward to my new PD and things have changed. I am currently running 0.10 degrees of total toe in on the rear and the car tracks straight as an arrow. The obvious conclusion is that the front wheel drive torque is acting to "pull" the car on the interstate thus dramatically improving stability.

Thank you Tesla. I now get the best of both worlds. Let's see if the front motor is the motor of choice with torque sleep so that we can keep the straight line highway stability.

Great info, Bill. I'd be curious to see how comparable cars size-wise spec out alignment. For example I had a 2013 Audi S6 4.0T that would have been similar in overall size, weight, and tire diameter (circumference) too. I'd be curious to match that car's alignment details up to the Tesla. It is also such that us, as EV drivers, become hyper-aware of our efficient dynamics when driving obviously.

Thank you for the post/feedback tho... that is interesting. I'm going to consult with my SC on Saturday for my alignment, and see what they can do and what they might suggest for toe. I know one of the techs, who used to work for the local Mercedes-Benz dealer for 10+ years, and used to have a weekend race car... so he/I can bang our heads together for alignment details hehe!

I had a chance to examine different rear toe values and straight line stability with my previous P+. I learned that near zero toe in on the rear of MS (0.1 - 0.15 degrees total toe in) was very good for range but allowed the car to follow irregularities in the road like rain grooves cut in concrete paving on the interstate. Conversely, higher toe in values (like 0.45+ total toe in) made the car track straight as an arrow but significantly impacted range.
Fast forward to my new PD and things have changed. I am currently running 0.10 degrees of total toe in on the rear and the car tracks straight as an arrow. The obvious conclusion is that the front wheel drive torque is acting to "pull" the car on the interstate thus dramatically improving stability.
Thank you Tesla. I now get the best of both worlds. Let's see if the front motor is the motor of choice with torque sleep so that we can keep the straight line highway stability.

Champ, I am constantly amazed and grateful for the amount of knowledge you share with us!

Wish Tesla would come out with adjustable upper rear control arms...I'd feel a whole lot better about the mod if I could buy the part from them.

Question.. I believe I've read that the swaybars on the 85+ cars are thicker / stronger then the other cars is this true vs a p90d and could you use these swaybars on a p90d? looking to improve handling at the track / autocross beyond the tires and wheels I've got on order, thanks for the help!!