Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long dryer extension cord 10-30 100' needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to circumstances, my only option for home charging is to use my dryer outlet which is a NEMA 10-30
The distance is 80 feet but I would like to have 100 feet in case of additional cars.

I can't seem to find any extension cords of that length.
Anyone have a source?

I suppose I could make my own with 8 gauge 3 strand but I'd prefer a professionally manufactured one.

Will you keep it on a roll or wrap it? Either way the spare 20ft could get hot.

You could "Figure 8" wrap to get around that. A figure 8 could be quite large and easily hung on a high peg with the main 80ft length rolled out to the car. Probably want a trolley under it to take the weight.

Proper wrapping avoids kinky snarled up cable syndrome. You don't want that.

Well wrapped cable pays out in a straight line with no twists.

You’re going to have to build your own. Use 8 gauge SOOW cable like this Southwire 100 ft. 8/3 600-Volt CU Black Flexible Portable Power SOOW Cord 55808843 - The Home Depot

Are you not using your dryer receptacle?
Yes, that's what the extension cord is going to plug into.
Will you keep it on a roll or wrap it? Either way the spare 20ft could get hot.

You could "Figure 8" wrap to get around that. A figure 8 could be quite large and easily hung on a high peg with the main 80ft length rolled out to the car. Probably want a trolley under it to take the weight.

Proper wrapping avoids kinky snarled up cable syndrome. You don't want that.

Well wrapped cable pays out in a straight line with no twists.
This is awkward.
I asked where to buy a 100' power cord.
You inadvertently answered the question: "How do I wrap my 100' power cord?"
Honest mistake I'm sure!

Yes, that's what the extension cord is going to plug into.

This is awkward.
I asked where to buy a 100' power cord.
You inadvertently answered the question: "How do I wrap my 100' power cord?"
Honest mistake I'm sure!
No mistake. Your question was answered so moving on to looking after your new cable.... wrapping rolling storing... what would you like to know?

Reactions: Eric33432
Due to circumstances, my only option for home charging is to use my dryer outlet which is a NEMA 10-30
The distance is 80 feet but I would like to have 100 feet in case of additional cars.

I can't seem to find any extension cords of that length.
Anyone have a source?

I suppose I could make my own with 8 gauge 3 strand but I'd prefer a professionally manufactured one.
Go to a good welder supply shop, they will make it for you. Helps if you bring the plug. I bought a 50' cord from some web enabled business but any extra and I think you have loss and heat issues.

Great!
Now move on to another thread!
No one like a thread hijacker
(rude!)
You don't know where to buy 100ft of heavy cable but you know all about how to deal with the beast. Go for gold mate.

The next person might not realize what they are in for when they go to post and get the "has this been DISCUSSED before".

Do you know the safe amount of coiled cable you can charge through but avoid inductive heating? I don't. It is worthy of discussion.

Do you even know how to wrap cable so it uncoils straight, not twisted ( like it will when you buy it) ? In my experience very few people do. So forgive me for trying to do you a favour.

Tesla sure doesn't trust you to do the right things that you don't create a hazard. Why should I?

There's nothing inherently wrong with using the correct cable correctly to reach a mobile charger but you can easily get it wrong so they forbid it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using the correct cable correctly to reach a mobile charger [...]
Yes, there is. The Mobile Connector has a temperature sensor in its plug which can sense an overheating outlet and stop the charge. This mechanism still works at the end of the extension cord, but not at the connection between the outlet and the extension cord. This is a potential fire hazard. Does it work, though? Most of the time, yes. Much like driving without airbags does. It's an extra layer of safety, and it's there for a reason.

@CrimsonEclipse - IMO the best extension cord solution is one that goes from the UMC to the car. That allows use of all Tesla’s UMC plug adapters, not just a 10-30. It also allows the temperature sensor in the UMC plug adapter to detect over temperature problems with your outlet.

I bought one from Quick Charge Power by asking for a custom version of their Tesla NACS to J1772 adapter with 70’ of cable. QC Power uses the same cable as Tesla uses in the UMC. It is expensive, but because it uses two conductors for L1 and another two for L2 it is lighter than regular 10-30 extension cords, which use a single heavier conductor.

GSP

Recommending cable that's about 40% thinner than what he wants could light him right up.

That's another reason they don't want you running off extension cords. People make long ones out of short ones.
Actually, recommending a #10 gauge cable for a 30 amp circuit will do what he needs to do. I was trying to respond to his question.

Much better to install the proper receptacle or a Tesla Wall Connector unless he cannot for whatever reason.

Extension cords should only be used for temporary situations.

Reactions: CrimsonEclipse
@CrimsonEclipse - IMO the best extension cord solution is one that goes from the UMC to the car. That allows use of all Tesla’s UMC plug adapters, not just a 10-30. It also allows the temperature sensor in the UMC plug adapter to detect over temperature problems with your outlet.

I bought one from Quick Charge Power by asking for a custom version of their Tesla NACS to J1772 adapter with 70’ of cable. QC Power uses the same cable as Tesla uses in the UMC. It is expensive, but because it uses two conductors for L1 and another two for L2 it is lighter than regular 10-30 extension cords, which use a single heavier conductor.

GSP
Yeah, I like the the idea of a Tesla extension cord the best. But is Quick Charge Power still in business? I see that this product is out of stock on their website with old information: ELONG™ Extension Cable compatible with Tesla vehicles

Yeah, I like the the idea of a Tesla extension cord the best. But is Quick Charge Power still in business? I see that this product is out of stock on their website with old information: ELONG™ Extension Cable compatible with Tesla vehicles
Not sure, but I think they just do repairs now, speclizing on the 2nd Gen RAV4 EV, with Tesla drivetrain. I saw a recent video tour of their facility, maybe from “out of spec” not sure, and they said they no longer sell adapters. Best option may be to call them and ask if they would make it, or if they know someone who does.

GSP

@CrimsonEclipse

- 14-50 extension cords will be very heavy. 100' will be awkward to manage. The 14-50 also has an unused neutral wire, which adds to the weight and expense. If I were in your shoes, I would stick with a 10-30 extension cord.
- The max current a 10-30 can support for a continuous load like EV charging is 24 Amps (80% of 30 Amps). This should be fast enough for overnight charging.

GSP

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Geez dude, he was just trying to help. It's not everyday you wrestle a 100ft 8 ga cable and he was just trying to alert you of potential issues. I find your response ruder than his.
I always find it a bit amusing when people get possessive about "their" threads and try to police the replies.

Oh darn, I'm taking this one off topic again.

Back on topic - I had to make my own using rubber jacketed 8ga SOOW cable.

For coiling/storage, I recommend velcro cable ties. Oh wait, off topic again. Darn.