Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range 3 has 48A charger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More speculation about the charger...

The Model S/X have a modular charger design that features 24A modules. This enables 3-phase charging in Europe (3x 24A modules), and in the US it supports 48A charging (2x 24A modules in parallel) or with an upgrade (now standard) it supports 72A charging (3x 24A modules in parallel).

Some suppositions:
  1. Tesla wants to support 3-phase charging when the Model 3 is brought to Europe
  2. Like the S/X, Tesla wants to use the same basic charger in the US and European Model 3
  3. The Model 3 is cost-down and likely has a smaller/less powerful charger than the Model S
  4. The base Model 3 has a lower cost charger than the extended range Model 3
My guess is that Tesla has the same basic architecture for the Model 3 charger (up to 3 modules to support 3 phase charging, paralleled for the US). However, it seems reasonable that they would use a smaller, lower cost charger with 16A modules instead of 32A modules.

This would result in:
  • 32A charging on the base Model 3 (2x 16A modules)
  • 48A charging on the extended range Model 3 (3x 16A modules)
  • 16A 3-phase charging on the European Model 3
Whether all of this is true, I don't know, but it at least seems to me to be a plausible theory for the Model 3 charger configuration.

Also, I'm seeing Model S/X Wall Connector which says max of 240VAC. I wouldn't be surprised if this was outdated marketing material, and the described Wall Connector can do 277VAC.

The current generation HPWC can do 277v, but Tesla has removed support for it officially. (but the hardware is still capable of doing it.). The current manual for the HPWC has removed all mention of 277v operation.

The reason being the on board chargers for S & X trigger a fault if the voltage goes at or above 283v. When dealing with 240v lines (or below) this gives lots of headroom. When dealing with 277v lines, very little. For safety sake they no longer support this configuration, even though there are several documented examples of it working just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and SureValla
"*The second generation Mobile Connector has a max output of 32 amps when using the 14-50 or 6-50 adapter...."

Model 3 NEMA Adapters
Right, that's the new UMC. The original topic was the charger in the Model 3 with Premium Upgrade Package. Which can take advantage of an HPWC on a larger circuit at your home or a destination charger.

48 amps confirmed

IMG_0384.JPG

Given the 48A charger on the LR, it's odd that the new UMC adapter for 14-50 is limited to 32A. I realize this could be a safety issue if your circuit has onlay a 40A circuit breaker, but many folks will be installing brand new receptacles with 50A breakers in their garages. In this case, it should be fine to charge at 40A. Maybe they can offer a 40A adapter in a special color or something, so it can't be confused with the 32A version.

Given the 48A charger on the LR, it's odd that the new UMC adapter for 14-50 is limited to 32A. I realize this could be a safety issue if your circuit has onlay a 40A circuit breaker, but many folks will be installing brand new receptacles with 50A breakers in their garages. In this case, it should be fine to charge at 40A. Maybe they can offer a 40A adapter in a special color or something, so it can't be confused with the 32A version.

The M in UMC means mobile. People are going to plug these into plugs they did not install themselves and have no way of verifying if the can charge at 40A safely. In a perfect world every 14-50 or 6-50 would support it, but there are many sockets in the wild that are 40A circuits instead of 50A.

It's also not odd at all. The S and X at times (I've said this before, hope it wasn't in this thread!) have had 40, 80, and 72 Amp chargers. What do some of those have to do with the UMC they came with being limited to 40 Amps? It was never meant to max it out.

Some/many destination chargers are higher current HPWCs, so you don't have to wait as long, can give it up for the next person more quickly.

In ANY case, any socket should be rated for the circuit it is on. Any 14-50 should be able to do 40 Amps all day, etc.

Some 14-15's at campgrounds and RV parks have had so many plug/unplug that the connection is a bit weak. Safer to pull less current so that you don't get arcing & overheating on somewhat worn out sockets. Hard to admit defeat like that, but the world does have a lot of marginal 14-50 sockets out there.

If you need the full charging current at home, get an HPC instead of using the mobile connector.

Some 14-15's at campgrounds and RV parks have had so many plug/unplug that the connection is a bit weak. Safer to pull less current so that you don't get arcing & overheating on somewhat worn out sockets. Hard to admit defeat like that, but the world does have a lot of marginal 14-50 sockets out there.

If you need the full charging current at home, get an HPC instead of using the mobile connector.
Well, sure, in the case of a campground or any rental situation. You should always test things when you are unsure. I was speaking a bit theoretically. :D We're in a rental home right now, and the frigging 120 VAC outlets are even a bit loose! Have to squeeze our normal extensions cords for iPhone chargers to make them make contact!

I definitely agree that jumping straight to 40 Amps on a 14-50 in marginal conditions is not the best plan.

More speculation about the charger...

My guess is that Tesla has the same basic architecture for the Model 3 charger (up to 3 modules to support 3 phase charging, paralleled for the US). However, it seems reasonable that they would use a smaller, lower cost charger with 16A modules instead of 32A modules.

This would result in:
  • 32A charging on the base Model 3 (2x 16A modules)
  • 48A charging on the extended range Model 3 (3x 16A modules)
  • 16A 3-phase charging on the European Model 3
Whether all of this is true, I don't know, but it at least seems to me to be a plausible theory for the Model 3 charger configuration.

If we assume your speculation is right, would that mean that the European Model 3 would be limited to 16A on single phase, or would the UMC/HPWC connect the same phase to all three modules to enable 48A charging on single phase?

And would it be likely that the european std range model 3 would also get three modules for three phase use?

So is the UMC on the S/X webpage right now still the old one? And the one we should get if we want 40 amp charging?

Just for resale purposes, I'm thinking I should install a 14-50 plug so a larger variety of electric cars can charge in my garage. Was planning on just getting another UMC rather than that Tesla only wall connector unit.

Wonder if that implies a new UMC for the "S/X" as well? New design looks a bit better in that it the plug is shorter, so less torque on the connection. But if it is 32A, it is a step backwards. I mostly charge at 32A with my 14-50 outlet, but just because I don't typically need more. But those few occasions I actually need 40a, would be disappointed.