Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range 3 has 48A charger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if that implies a new UMC for the "S/X" as well? New design looks a bit better in that it the plug is shorter, so less torque on the connection. But if it is 32A, it is a step backwards. I mostly charge at 32A with my 14-50 outlet, but just because I don't typically need more. But those few occasions I actually need 40a, would be disappointed.

Even if Tesla starts providing the new UMC with the Model S/X, I doubt they will recall and replace the existing ones owners have.

Given the 48A charger on the LR, it's odd that the new UMC adapter for 14-50 is limited to 32A. I realize this could be a safety issue if your circuit has onlay a 40A circuit breaker, but many folks will be installing brand new receptacles with 50A breakers in their garages. In this case, it should be fine to charge at 40A. Maybe they can offer a 40A adapter in a special color or something, so it can't be confused with the 32A version.

No, no, no. i think Tesla has finally given up on recommending people install a 14-50 receptacle. On the Model S page now, they only talk about the Wall Connector. Which is what they should have done in the first place. The (now renamed) Mobile Connector was sometimes not robust enough for daily use at 40A.

For new installs, and new cars, Tesla now recommends the Wall Connector, and it can do any amps all the way up to 80, so the LR's 48 amp limit works just fine.

Wonder if that implies a new UMC for the "S/X" as well? New design looks a bit better in that it the plug is shorter, so less torque on the connection. But if it is 32A, it is a step backwards. I mostly charge at 32A with my 14-50 outlet, but just because I don't typically need more. But those few occasions I actually need 40a, would be disappointed.

It is a MUCH better design. The new Mobile Connector (new name, no U), has a much more sane swappable adapter set up. Now heat build up from the receptacle won't also heat up the connection to the cord and vice versa. It also looks like the pins that connect to the MC are much beefier. And the 32 amp limit is much safer given the propensity to install 40 amp breakers on 14-50 receptacles (note this is to code - there is no 40A receptacle in the NEMA series, so using wires and breakers for 40 amps is perfectly OK).

Given that the old UMC is out of stock, yeah, I think the new Mobile Connector will replace it for S and X.

It is a step backwards for charging speed, but won't matter for overnight charging. And it is far safer. I'm happy they made the switch.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
So is the UMC on the S/X webpage right now still the old one? And the one we should get if we want 40 amp charging?

Just for resale purposes, I'm thinking I should install a 14-50 plug so a larger variety of electric cars can charge in my garage. Was planning on just getting another UMC rather than that Tesla only wall connector unit.

It really doesn't matter. The hard part is pulling the wires and hooking up the breaker. Swapping out a Tesla Wall Connector for a J1772 EVSE isn't a big deal at all. I would recommend installing a Wall Connector.

No, installing a 40 A breaker and using 40 A wiring on a NEMA 14-50 is allowed under the electrical code since there is no 40A receptacle.

This is the crux of the problem. By allowing 50A receptacle on 40A circuits the users cannot know the capacity of the circuit from the type of the receptacle anymore. You cannot safely plug 50A devices to random 50A sockets because they may be actually 40A sockets. Too bad this practice is common with both the 14-50 and the 6-50, so there is no way to avoid that. Tesla decided that better safe than sorry (and lawsuits).

No, no, no. i think Tesla has finally given up on recommending people install a 14-50 receptacle. On the Model S page now, they only talk about the Wall Connector. Which is what they should have done in the first place. The (now renamed) Mobile Connector was sometimes not robust enough for daily use at 40A.

For new installs, and new cars, Tesla now recommends the Wall Connector, and it can do any amps all the way up to 80, so the LR's 48 amp limit works just fine.
Not true. Here is the Tesla page for charging at home, which still includes NEMA14-50 outlet as a choice:
Charge At Home | Tesla

People generally don't plug into random 14-50 outlets as you said in a later post. They have an electrician install a 50A circuit with 14-50 outlet when they buy a Tesla. It's worked well for tens of thousands of Model S and X owners thus far-- I don't know why it should be different for Model 3.

Reactions: sigmo32
It really doesn't matter. The hard part is pulling the wires and hooking up the breaker. Swapping out a Tesla Wall Connector for a J1772 EVSE isn't a big deal at all. I would recommend installing a Wall Connector.
Not true. Here is the Tesla page for charging at home, which still includes NEMA14-50 outlet as a choice:
Charge At Home | Tesla

People generally don't plug into random 14-50 outlets as you said in a later post. They have an electrician install a 50A circuit with 14-50 outlet when they buy a Tesla. It's worked well for tens of thousands of Model S and X owners thus far-- I don't know why it should be different for Model 3.

Sorry, you're right. Just on the main Model S and X pages, they only only talk about the Wall Connector. The special Charging page talks about both.

As far as the 14-50 working well for tens of thousands, yes it has, but it has also failed for a larger number than is comfortable. I'll stand by my assessment that the original UMC is flawed. They did a hack of a fix by using plastic with a higher melting point in their 50A adapters. Anyways, we are in the realm of opinion here. I still think that new installs should use the heavier duty Wall Connector and leave the Mobile Connector in the trunk.

Reactions: eladts
Sorry, you're right. Just on the main Model S and X pages, they only only talk about the Wall Connector. The special Charging page talks about both.

As far as the 14-50 working well for tens of thousands, yes it has, but it has also failed for a larger number than is comfortable. I'll stand by my assessment that the original UMC is flawed. They did a hack of a fix by using plastic with a higher melting point in their 50A adapters. Anyways, we are in the realm of opinion here. I still think that new installs should use the heavier duty Wall Connector and leave the Mobile Connector in the trunk.

the main reason I'm not getting the wall connector and instead installing a 14-50 outlet is so I can charge other types of electric cars from it in case any of my friends or even me have something other than a tesla in the future

I just ordered my wall connector. I don't have any friends :)

I like the power sharing feature.

I like the ability to use with my primary car with no adaptor.

If I get a non-testa, I can always get a converted HPWC to pair with the first one for power sharing (I only have 60A available). (J-Wall-40 - the premium 40 amp wall mounted J1772 charge station)

Did you see the warning?

"NOTE: Do not use this 40 amp rated product as a "slave" to an 48 to 80 amp rated Tesla HPWC / Wall Connector. "

I guess you could change the dial/dip switch on the primary to limit it to 40 amps as well?

Did you see the warning?

"NOTE: Do not use this 40 amp rated product as a "slave" to an 48 to 80 amp rated Tesla HPWC / Wall Connector. "

I guess you could change the dial/dip switch on the primary to limit it to 40 amps as well?

Humm.... no.... didn’t notice. But i guess it makes sense. They are using a 40a cable in the less expensive version and the load sharing is assuming max overall is same as max per device. They do have an 80a conversion version as well. Thank you!!!

I would be fine w/ the 40a setting.

So is the UMC on the S/X webpage right now still the old one? And the one we should get if we want 40 amp charging?

Just for resale purposes, I'm thinking I should install a 14-50 plug so a larger variety of electric cars can charge in my garage. Was planning on just getting another UMC rather than that Tesla only wall connector unit.

As far as I know, Teslas are the only EVs that have 14-50 mobile connectors. Most other manufactures give you just L1 mobile connector. Volvo give you the TurboCord, which is L1/L2, but have 6-20 plug. If you want to be be compatible with all the EVs sold in the USA, just install a J1722 charging station and use the included adapter to charge your Tesla.