Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want some aspects of the interior they are only available in Performance, the main one (in my eyes) being carbon fiber interior. I really wanted that but the difference for me was thinking how often I used maximum acceleration over the years. In the end I ordered long range and saved 17K and can still out accelerate most cars out there. But then I don't race red light to red light. I wanted carbon fiber and would have paid extra for it but not 17K.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 10.08.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 10.08.45 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 10.08.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 10.08.45 PM.png
    545.7 KB · Views: 57
I'm weighing between a new MX performance or long-range, so I have this question too.

I'm leaning toward long-range, as I don't drive on the track. I'm not sure if I'd really even use the acceleration advantage of 2.7 vs. 4.4. I've had a MS 90D for the past three years, and a 0-60 of 4.4 on that car has been plenty.

Then again, the carbon fiber interior is really nice, and having a quicker car would be fun. Tough choice.

I'm weighing between a new MX performance or long-range, so I have this question too.

I'm leaning toward long-range, as I don't drive on the track. I'm not sure if I'd really even use the acceleration advantage of 2.7 vs. 4.4. I've had a MS 90D for the past three years, and a 0-60 of 4.4 on that car has been plenty.

Then again, the carbon fiber interior is really nice, and having a quicker car would be fun. Tough choice.
Could you custom order one with it?

I recommend the a no regret policy. If you don't get performance, how likely are you to feel you are missing out on something? That feeling will never go away for most people so if you think you'll have it, get the performance. The difference in acceleration is huge and you can feel it at any speed.

I went with the 100D. I wasn't missing anything till my friend gave me a ride in his Model 3 performance. I don't regret going with the 100D but that feeling in the performance model was really nice.

Reactions: Potpourri
I recommend the a no regret policy. If you don't get performance, how likely are you to feel you are missing out on something? That feeling will never go away for most people so if you think you'll have it, get the performance. The difference in acceleration is huge and you can feel it at any speed.

I went with the 100D. I wasn't missing anything till my friend gave me a ride in his Model 3 performance. I don't regret going with the 100D but that feeling in the performance model was really nice.

This is helpful. I'm going to test drive an MX tomorrow. I hope they have both a performance and long-range for me to try.

I'll be leasing the car and keeping it for 3 years. The price difference is significant (about $300/mo), but not a deal-breaker for me if I really prefer the performance.

I was more concerned with the difference in range (20 miles), but that may not be that big of a deal in real-world driving. I have a MS 90D right now with 290 mile range, so even 305 for the MX performance would be an improvement.

I went from Performance Model 3 to 100D. I don't miss the acceleration a bit. Only time I ever used it was to show it off to a friend.
It's a huge hit on the wallet and a significant hit on range too. If it was software only for $10k and no range hit, sure. But for $20K and lose 30 miles, so you can show off to your friends, nah.

You get used to anything you drive. It won't be "new" every day.

Save the money for a future Tesla or other EV you might want in the future.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
I just added the 22inch wheels to mine, and there is extra weight from those as well.

I should correct myself. It's probably not the 200 lbs that accounts for the bulk of the lost 30 miles range, but the motor itself is probably less efficient.

And I doubt your rim weight will make that much difference in range. You need to measure the whole wheel (rim and tire). Bigger rim has less tire. So the total weight difference might not be as large as you think. What makes a bigger difference is the tire itself that you choose. I went from lighter 18" Aero Rim (with covers) to a heavier 19" OEM Sport Rim on the Model 3 and got the same wh/mi because I chose a more efficient tire than what was on the Aero's. And the overall wheel was only about 2 lbs heavier.

Keep in mind that 4.4s right now is only when you set suspension to very low (see other threads), with normal suspension it's going to be 5.5s, unless Tesla change it in software upgrade. Also someone mentioned that range of MX LR is over advertised by 9%.

Interesting. Is the same true for the MS? I have a 2016 MS 90D that doesn't have air suspension. Would I be getting the 4.4s that is advertised?

Do you have a link for the MX LR being over-advertised by 9%? Is the MX-P range also over-advertised?