Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range... Well not really

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leave my fan on speed 1, and it helps a lot.

If you did that and sat at 65-70 on the motorway you should be at or below 300. Sit at 60 and you should be 260 or below (in cold weather).

Rain and head winds can have a big impact.

Motorways just aren't good, unless they have a lot of speed restricted zones!

As weather is improving at the moment I'm now finding my wh/m is now around 245-255. I drive at the speed limit not below or above and pull off at traffic lights junctions normally and not quickly. Fan speed 1 or 2 no heated seats needed now and radio volume on midway

My same work/home journey in Aug last year got around 220

40 mile trip to work and same back home each day

In addition to all the other answers about the impact of conditions etc. the 348 miles is the WLTP range which is a pure marketing number. The same car is advertised as having a range of 310 miles or so in the US (EPA rating, i think recently revised to about 322), and 278 / 0.9 is ~309 miles.

I'm at 8k miles and 6 months now. Average since collection is 305 Wh/mi. I'm pretty pleased with that given it covers the winter period, a few trips towing a large trailer (one to Germany), a blast at 150mph on the Autobahn, and many short trips to school/work.

I did a drive of 28 miles yesterday - roads dry, tailwind, and taking it easy - and got 185 Wh/mile.

Heater, as others have said, makes a huge difference. I set it manually at 18.5, fan on 1, and use the seat heaters.

It's a real pity that the Model 3 doesn't have a heat pump rather than just a resistive heater. I understand they've added one in the Model Y.

Motorway miles are about the worst you can do due to the higher average speed.

My max range journeys are motorway 70 MPH, so that's the worst-case that I plan for in terms of max range.

I find I get about 180 miles out of my LR

I reckon you should be doing better than that - 240-250 motorway miles. Maybe not if driving at 90 MPH :) and also assuming pre-conditioned before departure and not driving in torrential rain, and definitely not if having to make "travelling salesman" style stops in Winter when the battery will get cold and you get the "departure tax" each time you set off.

the 348 miles is the WLTP range which is a pure marketing number

its not a marketing number, its the number from the official WLTP test intended to be brand-agnostic, but I have no dispute over it being unrealistic for long journeys ...

It's a real pity that the Model 3 doesn't have a heat pump rather than just a resistive heater. I understand they've added one in the Model Y.

I'll be very interested to see if that actually makes a difference (on the Y). Other brands that have heat pump don't seems to have had a significant advantage for Winter range ... although of course I have no idea if they would have been absolutely dire without one!!

Mid December to now averaged 315 watts per mile

My February all-journeys average is dreadful, but it bears little relationship to my individual max-range journey usage in February - which is typically about 10% worse than summer.

Here's my 2p worth on Max Range driving.

Long-term average (and, indeed, the WLTP figure, being as it is combined-cycle) is useful for fuel cost calculation. Its a pity that the published standard EV tests don't include a max-range constant-70MPH motorway test.

Forget about running-average for all max-range journeys. The only figures that matter are from long journeys at motorway speed. For the rest, if you aren't driving max range in the day, and if you have off road parking / charging, then you leave home with max range every day, just put use the heater etc. as normal.

here's a table of max range at various speed / models. Looking at it just now I think the figures are hugely optimistic, but they are apparently based on real world data. I have both M3LR and MS LR and whilst the figure for MS is correct for ideal weather, their figure for M3LR is about the same but IME I can't get the M3LR anything like as far as the MSLR (and ABRP agrees with me ..)

I reckon you should get 240-250 real world motorway miles in M3LR and 300 in MS LR Raven. But that is 100% down to 0% so unrealistic for most journeys. I keep circa 20% for contingency, which I'm happy to eat into when i am approaching destination. If there is charging at destination (including a Supercharger stop) I only need to reach it, I don't need spare, so if I have been driving carefully I can speed up once I can see that Destination is easily reachable. Shortest journey time is drive-faster and charge-longer (up to about 90 MPH), provided destination has Rapid DC charging above 100kW (so if you are paired that's bad luck). Each stop is at least 5 minutes to get off-highway and rejoin-highway, so driving slower to avoid one final stop before reaching final destination (where a charger is available) is usually shorter-journey.

I don't think that heating the cabin matters much. When driving bumper-to-bumper the heating is definitely significant, but at 70 MPH on motorway heating is a small portion of battery usage (i.e. more or less the same amount of kW, regardless of speed, so at speed the kW for propulsion far exceeds kW for heating). If range is critical then turning off Climate helps, but first of all slow down. Draft a truck if available (even doing that at a safe distance saves fuel). Put destination into SatNav and use the Energy TRIP GRAPH to see what the predicted %age on arrival is. In rain slowing down only helps with the aerodynamic aspect, the tyres still have to push all the water out of the way mile after mile. My closest-ever-call was in summer thunderstorm with torrential rain, that added 20% to consumption even though I had slowed right down (same for ICE of course). Do not assume that there i a buffer below 0% - indeed, some people have run out showing low single digit %age

For individual long journey when possible I will charge to 100% shortly before departure, which will also help warm battery in Winter, giving me max regen sooner (if temperature 5C - 10C a cold battery may well take 30 minutes driving to get battery warm enough for full regen; bigger batteries are worse for this; if you are on a motorway, not braking, the impact may be small, but for journeys where you have to use friction brakes it will make a difference). Also pre-heat / cool cabin on shore-power before departure.

If departure is

So then basically I have 100% - 20% to reach destination, allowing for my contingency (detour / "can you just pick up XXX from so-and-so's"). If 250 miles total, that is a max 80% / 190 miles for that "leg"; if the weather is cold / foul then knock 10% off that, so 170 miles for a Winter leg. If doing drive-supercharge-drive-supercharge then best not to charge above 70% (provided next Supercharger is reachable) as charging slows above that. 20%-70% is only 125 miles. Maybe on Content with nicely spaces Superchargers I would be happy to do 70%-10%, and of course I would charge to more than 70% if next Supercharger would not otherwise be reachable). Bigger battery favours this :). Personally I charge to 70% even if I don't need it to reach next Supercharger, in order to have "more" at the next stop, and then if next stop is paired / slow stall the impact is less. Supercharging above 70% is slower, and above 90% is very slow

Most of my max-range journeys in the UK are achievable with one supercharger stop. When I have a choice of Superchargers I chose the one closest to destination (but avoiding any 2-stall, and maybe 4-stall, sites as most likely to be paired / occupied). The nearer to the destination the more likely that I have already been held up in traffic / roadworks, which will have improved range, so I can then more accurately estimate fuel requirement to destination. I still want my 20% contingency prediction on arrival, but if I have already been held up in traffic I may well arrive at that Supercharger with 10% more than I had expected, so 10% less to add

Bigger battery means:
more journeys accomplished without topping up.
Go further before needing to charge
For one-charging stop charge less to complete journey
Bigger battery typically charges faster than smaller ones - more miles-per-minute (bit less clear than it used to be ... M3 charges faster than MS in ideal situations)

For business journeys I aim to charge on return leg, so that my arrival time at Client is not impacted by having to charge on outbound leg (where I might be paired, or have a slow stall)

I find A Better Route Planner is pretty accurate for my journeys; you can adjust the "wH/mile" or just add 10%, if you find that your driving style / average is different. You can set temperature and wind speed, and also "foul weather", to compare Winter / Summer. You could also compare with some other brand :) I have a journey today that ABRP says needs < 10 minutes Supercharger. I tried it with an iPace ... that would be well over an hours charging :(

I went for a run in my sr+ at the weekend, charged to 90 %, I turned off ac but left heat on and set to 21’c, 2 adults and 2 grown kids in the car, sat at 70 mph most of the time, I did 155 miles and it showed 30 miles left, I think it averaged 260 wh/mile, I was happy with that compared to my old 24kwh leaf.
Maybe all new Tesla drivers should have a 24kW Leaf first! You learn massively about energy economy. Cruise will increase consumption as it's constantly accelerating and decelerating, air con was always OK but without too much heat and with low fan speeds, and go easy on the right boot! Enjoy your luxury at 65mph unless you're in a tearing hurry. You'll be surprised how efficient your M3 LR is - currently around 250wh/mile on mixed driving including motorways in NW England.

My charging period at home ends many hours before I need to use the vehicle, so is there a benefit leaving it plugged in until I need it? Does it do anything to help with regen, or only when I switch on HVAC etc?

My charging period at home ends many hours before I need to use the vehicle, so is there a benefit leaving it plugged in until I need it? Does it do anything to help with regen, or only when I switch on HVAC etc?

It will only help with morning regen if you initiate the heating when plugged in. Saves a bit of range to warm the car before leaving. Otherwise no benefit unless leaving the car unused for a few days.