Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Road Trips. My Experience and Why Tesla's are Currently Unfit.

Did you take long road trips with your Tesla? How did it go?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I backed into a spot and hit the curb... My Tesla had stranded me and ruined my vacation,
So you drove your car into a curb in a parking lot, with an impact so severe that you damaged a tire such that it became unsafe to use, and you blame your Model 3 for ruining your vacation because you could not immediately source a suitable replacement tire in a small town (population 32,000) in Wyoming.

I’m having trouble understanding that chain of reasoning.

So you drove your car into a curb in a parking lot, with an impact so severe that you damaged a tire such that it became unsafe to use, and you blame your Model 3 for ruining your vacation because you could not immediately source a suitable replacement tire in a small town (population 32,000) in Wyoming.

I’m having trouble understanding that chain of reasoning.
My point is that the Model 3 tire size is very hard to find and that Tesla's roadside assistance is useless. I blame myself for hitting the curb.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I blame Tesla for not being able to swap my wheel, I'm the one to blame for hitting the curb.
Mmm, you said they would, for $900. You can’t expect them to bring just a tire do you? How would they mount it? A mobile mounting and balancing truck? $900 is a lot but they are bringing you a tire and a wheel in BFE on a Saturday night. I would hope they would keep the old one for you to pick up later and put your matching tire on, but gees, sell it on e-bay for $300 when you get home and only be out $600 or keep it as a spare.

Reactions: Big Earl
Mmm, you said they would, for $900. You can’t expect them to bring just a tire do you? How would they mount it? A mobile mounting and balancing truck? $900 is a lot but they are bringing you a tire and a wheel in BFE on a Saturday night. I would hope they would keep the old one for you to pick up later and put your matching tire on, but gees, sell it on e-bay for $300 when you get home and only be out $600 or keep it as a spare.
Yes, my friend who owns a Model X recently had a similar incident in an urban area. Tesla dispatched a mobile service that swapped the wheel while the damaged one was sent to a Tesla Service Center for repair. The only cost was the actual repair.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I blame Tesla for not being able to swap my wheel, I'm the one to blame for hitting the curb.
I had a similar experience with difficulty getting a tire replaced. Went to a party out of town a couple weeks ago and the valet drove into a curb damaging the sidewall and blowing out the tire.
Tesla was unable to provide towing or a replacement tire by that evening. Ended up having it towed to my house via my auto insurance company so I could put on spare all seasons myself.
After discussing this with my friends, I think the best solution was to see if Tesla would put a couple spare tires and jack at each supercharging station in a lockbox. Then in emergency, have Tesla unlock the box so the tires could be replaced.
Second best was to post to a local forum and see if anyone had a spare and was willing to help. I have a group of fellow model 3 ers in town but none had their own low profile jack.
Sorry OP for the rough time.

My family went on a ski trip this week to Utah. This trip had been planned for months and I seriously considered renting an ICE car for it. Then I reconsidered. After all, Tesla's supercharging network means that I can take long road trips. I studied the superchargers map on Tesla's website and confirmed that there were more than enough superchargers along my 531 miles journey from Denver to SLC. I decided to try it and drive the Model 3 with my wife, two young children, and luggage. I got winter tires (Pirelli Sottozero's), packed the car, and hit the road on a full charge. After driving nonstop for 2 hours, my range had decreased more than anticipated so I decided to make an unplanned stop in Laramie, WY to supercharge. The supercharging station was in a hotel parking and snow covered. I backed into a spot and hit the curb. I knew right away it was bad. I got off the car and noticed a scratch on the rim (not the first time it happened!). More concerning however was that the hit had damaged the tire's side wall. Before venturing on I-80, I decided to have it checked. I drove to a nearby tire shop (the only one in town) and the technician confirmed what I feared: The impact had exposed the radial cords and the tire was an explosion hazard. Being in Truck Country, the tire shop didn't have that tire size, less so in the winter variation. I became anxious but I knew my Model's 3 lack of a spare meant Tesla's mobile roadside assistance would come to my rescue. Little did I know... Yes, they could come but it would take 5 hours, cost me $900, and they only had an all-season tire. I became very worried. It was Saturday 3 pm, the little town was shutting down, there was no car rental agency or airport nearby. My Tesla had stranded me and ruined my vacation, my wife was in tears and my kids in fear. I did what I never thought I would do, I abandoned my cherished Tesla in a parking lot of a small rural town. I found an alternative transportation to SLC and began a search for that tire the next Monday. Wal-Mart and Costco couldn't get it and the only place I found it was on tirerack.com. I ordered it and had it delivered to the tire shop. A week later, I made it back to Laramie, had the tire installed and made it back home. One thing changed though, I don't trust my Model 3 or Tesla anymore and I know that, as a Tesla owner, if anything goes wrong, I'm on my own. Tesla's are incredible cars and have revolutionize my world. However, and until Tesla gets serious about customer service, I will limit my trips to in-town commutes and errands. I will rent (or buy) an ICE car for long road trips.
OK BOOMER

Tire size availability and quality of manufacturer's roadside assistance service.

There's not a single manufacturer that provides their own roadside service. Tesla is the only company that even tries with the mobile rangers, who can do things like bring a spare wheel and tire, or service your car on location.

You wrecked your car in Laramie WY. That's a small city far away from anything. That's not a Tesla problem, that's a you wrecked your car in a small town problem.

How can you blame the car You were unprepared for your road trip Traveling through rural areas requires you to be prepared There is a reason areas like that are Truck Country That town was most likely the largest area to get supplies for people who lived in an even more rural area. Sounds like my kind of Town