Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This should be done by people riding bikes & taking public transport (so the criticism goes).
Not realistic criticism. That's behavioral and, again, policy, not technology, and not Elon's area of expertise. Also not practical for millions of people. Biking sounds great until it rains, snows, heavy winds, needing to carry more than a grocery bag, etc.

Not realistic criticism. That's behavioral and, again, policy, not technology, and not Elon's area of expertise. Also not practical for millions of people. Biking sounds great until it rains, snows, heavy winds, needing to carry more than a grocery bag, etc.
I've a feeling the biking argument is made by the young who have seen nothing but the SoCal weather ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JRP3
Its not a "bear article". Its actually the common criticism of Musk from the left.

The idea essentially is that climate change can't be tackled with cars at all - only with public transport.

I personally think both are needed. Its unfortunate that Musk completely ignores public transport (except one could say for hyperloop).

For public transport, the new ideas need to be sold to politicians and only a few people can stop all progress. Replacing diesel buses with electric is the easiest problem and that requires building infrastructure for the electric buses. Long range fast rail is what is truly needed in the US, and that has been bogged down for decades. Cities that are trying to put in their first light rail systems now are struggling. Portland is doing well (they got started a while back, but more recently than cities like Chigaco and New York), but light rail in Seattle has been a mess.

Tesla, but selling electric cars, sells the public directly on electric transportation. Once a significant portion of the public is sold on the idea, then getting public projects done will be much easier. Tesla is working the Hyperloop technology and it will probably be ready around the time the public is really ready for high speed electric rail between cities.

Currently what EM has given us is 50k+ cars. The initial boring ideas were to speed up the time those cars took to travel.

Neither of them help the median income person in anyway.

The limiting thing with electric vehicles is the price and density of battery tech available today. You're up against the laws of Physics and economy. Tesla is doing everything it can to bring down the price, but there is only so much they can do for density. The batteries used in Tesla cars today are about 1/30 the energy density of gasoline and currently there is nothing we can do about that.

To make a practical car capable of 300 miles range, it has to be a certain size to hold the batteries needed. The Model 3 is a marvel of packaging to cram as much battery capacity into the smallest space possible, and still have good temperature control.

To be able to make any profit on a 300 mile EV, it also needs to be expensive because the batteries cost more than an ICE right now. I've heard the Bolt described as a $20K Chevrolet Sonic with an $18K electric drive train and battery added (the Bolt has its own platform, but is evolved from the Sonic/Spark/Opel Corsa platform).

It's basically impossible to make an EV today that would be appealing and priced in the middle of the price range for ICE without losing your shirt in the process.

I didn't say that article was Pulitzer prize worthy. I said it is not a bear article - as in it is not trying to make the case for a lower SP.

But the underlying theme is familiar, once you take out all the fluff.

The theme of the article is "Musk is a fraud, Tesla is a fake, blah blah blah". It's very familiar. From Seeking Alpha. It's the standard bear article theme.

There's so much invective -- the first seven paragraphs without anything else much -- that I think it's clear this is the theme of the article and anything else is incidental.

So this is totally anecdotal, but I drove by my local BMW dealer the other day. The same one that wasted a lot of my time after doing a classic bait and switch a few years ago by saying yes I called to ask if that deal they had online was still there, and then when got there they couldn't find after looking for about an hour and steered me to other cars until I finally left. Well they have kind of a tall rock outcropping out front right next to the road with one of those car ramp things, you can't help but notice whatever car is up there while driving by and what was it? A model x. Presumably someone traded it in for a BMW, but still, you've got a BMW dealership with their showcase car out front that is a Tesla. Even Tesla's competition is advertising for Tesla.

So this is totally anecdotal, but I drove by my local BMW dealer the other day. The same one that wasted a lot of my time after doing a classic bait and switch a few years ago by saying yes I called to ask if that deal they had online was still there, and then when got there they couldn't find after looking for about an hour and steered me to other cars until I finally left. Well they have kind of a tall rock outcropping out front right next to the road with one of those car ramp things, you can't help but notice whatever car is up there while driving by and what was it? A model x. Presumably someone traded it in for a BMW, but still, you've got a BMW dealership with their showcase car out front that is a Tesla. Even Tesla's competition is advertising for Tesla.

That sounds totally picture worthy.

Or maybe - pic or it didn't happen! :)

Reactions: neroden and tander