Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quality of products and service is of critical importance in the car business. Need to track this closely.

Yes, I understand and as a shareholder I can appreciate the sentiment. It just can not be done at the expense of quality.

I need everyone I place in a car to do exactly as I did and go sell more of them (as does Tesla). This puts an unnecessary obstacle in the path of Tesla's success. They started off with a fantastic customer experience and there may even be truth to the idea that a three hour cluster **** to sign title work and hand over a check is still better than even the best traditional dealer delivery. Then that misses the point that Tesla has been and should continue to be much better not just a little better.

As for me personally, its no biggie. I've known these guys for a while and they both spent a lot of time in both my Model S'. They know my cars showed up without issues and thus have faith in long term ownership.

I really wish they would not follow the Apple Store plan verbatim.

http://www.smm.co.jp/E/uploaded_files/20130926 E_Final.pdf

FROM Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. 9/26/2013

In view of growing demand for Tesla-powered EVs, Panasonic is planning to increase production of its lithium-ion batteries.
To respond to this expansion of the market for automotive rechargeable batteries, SMM has now decided to undertake investment to expand its production facilities for lithium nickel oxide at its Isoura plant in Niihama City, Ehime Prefecture. Expansion work is to get under way in October, with completion scheduled for June 2014. The planned investment outlay is approximately 4.8 billion yen (US$48 million). After expansion, SMM’s production capacity in lithium nickel oxide will increase from the current 300 tons per month to 850 tons.

Well, after five months, Tesla received my 6-figure check yesterday afternoon (it was the ever-present problem of geography that was the cause of the huge delay); at any rate, it means that my car will be one of those Very End of the quarter productions! Yikes - please everyone cross your fingers and let's hope for a well-aligned, well-gone over 85P Model S!

(and we can bump up the 3Q revenue estimates by $110K......) ;)

Well, after five months, Tesla received my 6-figure check yesterday afternoon (it was the ever-present problem of geography that was the cause of the huge delay); at any rate, it means that my car will be one of those Very End of the quarter productions! Yikes - please everyone cross your fingers and let's hope for a well-aligned, well-gone over 85P Model S!

(and we can bump up the 3Q revenue estimates by $110K......) ;)

Did I miss something? Why it takes 5 months?

http://www.smm.co.jp/E/uploaded_files/20130926 E_Final.pdf

FROM Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. 9/26/2013

In view of growing demand for Tesla-powered EVs, Panasonic is planning to increase production of its lithium-ion batteries.
To respond to this expansion of the market for automotive rechargeable batteries, SMM has now decided to undertake investment to expand its production facilities for lithium nickel oxide at its Isoura plant in Niihama City, Ehime Prefecture. Expansion work is to get under way in October, with completion scheduled for June 2014. The planned investment outlay is approximately 4.8 billion yen (US$48 million). After expansion, SMM’s production capacity in lithium nickel oxide will increase from the current 300 tons per month to 850 tons.

This is exactly the kind of upstream investment that needs to happen for Gen III.

In case anyone missed this, "battery supply is no longer an issue," or sentiments to that effect, says Elon because LG and Samsung are stepping up: Cool story of a Musk fan getting to hang out with Elon for 30 minutes last week | Forums | Tesla Motors

This doesn't appear to be widely known yet. I've read rumors, but this is further confirmation. I hope Tesla makes a formal announcement of this and further articulates the details of their supply relationships.

WOW! Made my day!!!! Thanks!

Glad to see the cost of Aluminum is trending in the right direction

http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/aluminum/1-year/
cost of aluminum chart.jpg

God this stock price is so high. Any predictions on splits, corrections?

I believe that Tesla will likely ultimately be a >$100 billion company due to a megatrend towards electrics which is only just starting, solid track record of industry-beating innovation and a solid head start due to first-mover advantage and battery patents. But it's very, very nerve-wracking to sit and watch as the stock price is where I believed it would be 5 years from now. There is significant risk of a major correction if anything goes wrong or sentiment changes. This is true even if my investment thesis still holds. If it doesn't, we'll sooner or later get a major-league whooping which we won't bounce back from.

No predictions from me, except that there is a huge amount of uncertainty.

You can always put a trailing stop order that goes with the stock. Just make the trail large enough that simple daily/weekly movements don't cause a trigger yet protect your investment. So if you bought in at 60 why not have a trailing sell order for your stocks at price-40 usd. This way you'll get out at worst at 152 usd more than doubling your profit and it's unlikely that Tesla will have a 40 usd swing just like that. Makes life far calmer and you can even take a 2-week vacation without worrying about stock market :) And if the stock goes up the trailing amount pulls the stop up as well.

You can always put a trailing stop order that goes with the stock. Just make the trail large enough that simple daily/weekly movements don't cause a trigger yet protect your investment. So if you bought in at 60 why not have a trailing sell order for your stocks at price-40 usd. This way you'll get out at worst at 152 usd more than doubling your profit and it's unlikely that Tesla will have a 40 usd swing just like that. Makes life far calmer and you can even take a 2-week vacation without worrying about stock market :) And if the stock goes up the trailing amount pulls the stop up as well.
If your plan is to hold long term, then chances are that sooner or later you will be stopped out at a price where you should have BOUGHT and not sold...
From my experience I am always stopped out at the worst moment. If I set a stop @153 I can be sure that the price turns around at exactly 152.50 and then shoots straight up.
This is why I don't use stops anymore, if I want to hold a stock long term (short term plays is different, If I want to be out soon anyway, then why not set a (trailing) stop).
If I buy today @193 I would never set a (trailing) stop @153. Rather I would set a BUY-order @153. Such a huge dip would be a buying-opportunity imo, not a selling-opportunity.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Looks like we can cross Toyota off of the list of manufacturers that may compete with Tesla in the near future. Maybe Toyota thinks they can keep sourcing Tesla's expertise if they do feel the need to release an EV?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/1/4790136/toyota-hybrid-hydrogen-future-not-all-electric

And, I guess, add Kia? Guessing the LA Auto show is their big reveal http://laautoshow.com/

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kia-motors-announces-plans-first-190453234.html

This is exactly what I currently have in place. I was just on a two week vacation, and then had a surgery that put me out of commission for a week +. Lastly, and I'm almost ashamed to admit it to this forum (pause to don flame suit), I do not currently have an internet access smart phone:redface:.

If your plan is to hold long term, then chances are that sooner or later you will be stopped out at a price where you should have BOUGHT and not sold...
From my experience I am always stopped out at the worst moment. If I set a stop @153 I can be sure that the price turns around at exactly 152.50 and then shoots straight up.
This is why I don't use stops anymore, if I want to hold a stock long term (short term plays is different, If I want to be out soon anyway, then why not set a (trailing) stop).
If I buy today @193 I would never set a (trailing) stop @153. Rather I would set a BUY-order @153. Such a huge dip would be a buying-opportunity imo, not a selling-opportunity.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Yup, I can certainly see the wisdom of this, and will consider making the appropriate changes. I just remember looking at a historical AAPL chart and seeing several ~ 50% drops over relatively short periods of time and came across the trailing stop as a tool, so I chose to employ it. And, as an aside, your timing sounds about as good as mine - j/k :wink:.

Rather than stops, set alerts. Then you'll know when something happens, but the machine won't trade for you.

I don't like stops. Seen too many killed in a flash crash because it triggered their stop.

I had not thought about this when I made the trailing stop my safety net choice. By "flash crash", I suppose I've heard of price collapse based on some rumor that turned out to be false, or maybe an electronic SNAFU on an exchange. Are these the types of scenarios to trigger such a movement? Are there others?

Hmmm, set alerts...maybe it's time to go buy that phone!
Thanks,
Gary

This is exactly what I currently have in place. I was just on a two week vacation, and then had a surgery that put me out of commission for a week +. Lastly, and I'm almost ashamed to admit it to this forum (pause to don flame suit), I do not currently have an internet access smart phone:redface:.

Yup, I can certainly see the wisdom of this, and will consider making the appropriate changes. I just remember looking at a historical AAPL chart and seeing several ~ 50% drops over relatively short periods of time and came across the trailing stop as a tool, so I chose to employ it. And, as an aside, your timing sounds about as good as mine - j/k :wink:.

I had not thought about this when I made the trailing stop my safety net choice. By "flash crash", I suppose I've heard of price collapse based on some rumor that turned out to be false, or maybe an electronic SNAFU on an exchange. Are these the types of scenarios to trigger such a movement? Are there others?

Hmmm, set alerts...maybe it's time to go buy that phone!
Thanks,
Gary

Sure there are all kinds of reasons the price can drop then pop in seconds. Imagine that hackers get a hold of CNN twitter account and tweet that Elon was killed in a rocket accident. 2 mins later Elon tweets that reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

You can't possibly trade faster than the machines and professionals you are up against in these situations. Take time to understand what just happened and make a decision. Don't relinquish control of your money to a machine. At least, not one that blindly sells based on some predetermined price.

I mean, at least check TMC before selling. Right?