Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More people realise the fact that if you drive a Taxi, then you should choose Tesla.

http://www.rogalandsavis.no/nyheter/article6934348.ece (norwegian)

The article states that they got 2 superchargers for 50 000 dollars a pop, could this really be accurate? as I saw ur earlier statement from that uneducated tesla spokesperson who said 1,4 million?
And if this is true would this be the first confirmed private supercharger?

Edit:
I see now that google translated kroner to dollars so thats probably a standard HPWC they installed...

Could we not also say that there's never a good time to visit the gas station? I would imagine cab fleets would use supercharger-level charging if possible. Perhaps the cabbie's coffee/smoke break becomes more productive? :)

They try to avoid breaks. Tough to park in busy areas, for a start.

NYC also has expensive electricity, so they won't have the c/mi advantage they'd have in other cities. Average miles per 12 hour shift is 180 in NYC, so if they only save $1.80 per c/mi, the 45 minute loss of time could be costly. Costs still need to come way down, but it's definitely so ething Tesla should have its eye on. Right now, the Model S price and weight would mean it would likely be better to buy 2 Leafs instead.

A taxi fleet could have a dedicated swap station. Can't beat a 90 second "fill up".

Exactly. It's difficult to make swap station economics work for the general public right now, but for fleet cars it works out great. Here's some quick math...

ICE
cars100
miles/day300
mpg30
gallons/yr10.95 million
fuel cost/yr ($3.50/gal.)$1.28 million

Tesla
cars100
miles/day300
mpKwh2.95
Kwh/yr3.71 million
fuel cost ($0.13/kwh)$483,000
So a fleet of 100 cars could save about $800k/year or about $8k per car. The price of a swap station (~$150k) becomes insignificant at this scale and it just comes down to whether the extra price for a car (and an extra battery for each car) can be justified by the $8k/year savings. With the Model S this is reasonably close over an 6-10 year lifespan of the car. With Gen III it will be a no brainer. I fully expect to see Tesla selling (or giving away) private swap stations to customers who purchase large fleets of cars in the future. I would say around 2020 when Gen III production is rolling will be when this becomes an actual thing.

The article states that they got 2 superchargers for 50 000 dollars a pop, could this really be accurate? as I saw ur earlier statement from that uneducated tesla spokesperson who said 1,4 million?
And if this is true would this be the first confirmed private supercharger?

Edit:
I see now that google translated kroner to dollars so thats probably a standard HPWC they installed...

Journalist soesnt know the difference, its a "high-speed charger."

Im surprised that we have not heard an announcement of someone buying 100 Teslas and a battery-swapper. If I had the money I would do that.

"- there will be an executive back seat option available in the future. But that will be only 4 seats and not 5."

This is in IMO extremly good news! This will ensure crazy sales in China but also everywhere. Its tight for 3 grownups in the back seat so 4 seat option is great. If they are so small they could fit three in there they could sit in the back anyways. And also if they are seven, buy the X. I will be waiting for this car and I will pay the extra. Great news!!

Could we not also say that there's never a good time to visit the gas station? I would imagine cab fleets would use supercharger-level charging if possible. Perhaps the cabbie's coffee/smoke break becomes more productive? :)

OK, silly point: Perhaps the cabbie's smoke break (at the gas station) becomes less destructive?
;-)
Just go smokefree, all round.
/ Sorry

@Staplegun
I think your estimate of 30mpg for a taxi is way off. With all the idling, stop and go, and hard accelerations of most taxi drivers, I think they are lucky to get 15-20mpg. This makes the Tesla numbers even better.

A fairly interesting tidbit discussed here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22979-European-Car-of-the-Year-2014

It is true, getting this award would be at least on par with the 99/100 rating on consumer reports, the Motor Treds Car of the Year etc. This is something that for sure is discussed in every countries media in EU and will for sure bring brand and car awareness to the Model S. This will definitely help the demand in EU if it does come and I too am relatively certain that looking at the competition and getting some of the backstory it's a no-brainer. As it seems not everyone reads all threads I thought to point it out here in the long term fundamentals as the results will be announced in March 2014 with the finalists in December this year, which is more long term than short term driver of the fundamentals.

A fairly interesting tidbit discussed here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22979-European-Car-of-the-Year-2014

It is true, getting this award would be at least on par with the 99/100 rating on consumer reports, the Motor Treds Car of the Year etc. This is something that for sure is discussed in every countries media in EU and will for sure bring brand and car awareness to the Model S. This will definitely help the demand in EU if it does come and I too am relatively certain that looking at the competition and getting some of the backstory it's a no-brainer. As it seems not everyone reads all threads I thought to point it out here in the long term fundamentals as the results will be announced in March 2014 with the finalists in December this year, which is more long term than short term driver of the fundamentals.

Thanks for sharing this here! It is hard to keep up with all the new threads being created and new topics being discussed so thanks for bringing us up to speed!

Thanks for posting that to the Long-Term thread. Another catalyst to look forward to. I can add that a week or so ago I was checking out Tesla's stats on Google Trends, and Hungary was off the charts as the highest region search score at the time. Could be related to this blog there finally getting a Tesla grin. Oslo, Norway is throwing off the City/Region search rankings today. However, google Trends is definitely a great tool to track the spread of interest in the Model S around the globe.

This spring when I started tracking San Francisco and LA were highest search rank, now spreading...

Also, Tesla/Model S has been a "Breakout" search term for about 6 months running.

First mention of Gen4 car! ("even more affordable" - 20:46).
i think this is huge news as far as long term value goes. this means tesla isn't resigned to be the porsche of EVs; it is going to continue moving down market into more affordable cars. that means competing with the toyota corolla and other more affordable cars, which is a HUGE market.

very exciting stuff :scared:

surfside