Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer cable for rolec to tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a good cable to go from my wall to the car? Iv doen aguestimste measurement of location and a 5 m lead would reach under tension but is bridging a path. I need a 10m or more cable to go from my wall across a path and either to the back of the car parked forwards or backwards into my spots. I prefer backwards which means the charger will be on the side facing away from my charger.

I went for untethered 10m cable for my Rolec and I ummed and ahhed about having an unlock charge port button or not. I opted eventually for a cable from evonestop.com for £162 but i wish now that I had bought the EVchargeking 10m cable with charge port unlock button for £345. A lot more money but the number of times that I forget to take my phone out with me to plug in is worth the extra ( and it’s still not winter yet!). I’m still investigating being able to ask Alexa to open the charge port before I go outside but I haven’t found that yet. I’m sure the tech is out there somewhere. :cool:

Pop the back passenger door handle and then slightly push the charge port and it opens up.
Unlocking it your either back to to app or if your about to drive anyway, lean through a front door and use the touch screen.
For me this is quite quick and easy.

My lead is under tension from the rolec to the car... 6m would of been perfect.

I went for untethered 10m cable for my Rolec and I ummed and ahhed about having an unlock charge port button or not. I opted eventually for a cable from evonestop.com for £162 but i wish now that I had bought the EVchargeking 10m cable with charge port unlock button for £345. A lot more money but the number of times that I forget to take my phone out with me to plug in is worth the extra ( and it’s still not winter yet!). I’m still investigating being able to ask Alexa to open the charge port before I go outside but I haven’t found that yet. I’m sure the tech is out there somewhere. :cool:
Lifting a chatg port is worth 150 plus quid to you? Jeezus you must be made of money

• Helpful
Reactions: Keeper
Can't guarantee its anything better than Boy's Own, but you can buy add-on 3rd party button. @arg will have a thread about it somewhere on here

Buy a button or cable? arg had a hackers insight in to what was involved so not for normal mortals with any sense of self preservation, but I don't recall seeing a third party button. Also, how does the button (if it is implemented as per args description) open the charge port without any physical connection to the car? Admittedly opening the charge port is the least useful function, but technically its probably the most advanced, possibly requiring some RF link.

Last edited:
arg had a hackers insight in to what was involved

Sorry, now you say that I think that was what was needed. Some Hacking Required ...

pen the charge port without any physical connection to the car

Just needs the signal. I've parked near a Stall and come back to an open charge flap ... the button on Supercharger wand (at that site at least) has a fair bit of range. I might try seeing if I press it whilst getting the hose out the holster next time :)

On that basis, and if I have it right, someone ought to be able to make a "button" with battery that you can attach to the wall near the car's charger flap. Unless @arg tells me I'm way off beam ...

Buy a button or cable? arg had a hackers insight in to what was involved so not for normal mortals with any sense of self preservation, but I don't recall seeing a third party button. Also, how does the button (if it is implemented as per args description) open the charge port without any physical connection to the car. Admittedly opening the charge port is the least useful function, but technically its probably the most advanced, possibly requiring some rf link.

There are (or have been) third party solutions to both.

The RF transmitter for port open (before charge) is self-contained; all cars use the same code so you just need to duplicate it, which several people have done, either to integrate into the cable or as a separate fob like a garage door opener. The job is easy enough if you have all the right gear, but tough for the average hobbyist.

The unlock-after-charge function can only be done with a physical connection to the car (ie. inside the plug). The electrical part is extremely simple, but you do need to be willing to make some sort of mechanical modification to the plug to mount a button.

The only off-the-shelf solution (apart from buying a Tesla WC) is to get a socketed (rather than tethered) chargepoint and the EVChargeKing cable.

EVChargeKing did also sell a kit of bits to convert your existing cable - but as I say the big challenge is the mechanical work to provide a button.

On that basis, and if I have it right, someone ought to be able to make a "button" with battery that you can attach to the wall near the car's charger flap

A couple of people were selling such buttons at various times. The snag is that they only do the port open-before-charge, not the unlock-after-charge.

The UMC with the button will only work in the 13A socket so will be limited to 10A. So you choose between convenience of the button functions on the UMC with 13A socket or a faster charge on 32A type 2 but no button.
Haha, yes of course. Certainly wouldn't recommend the UMC for routine charging - I had to for a couple of weeks when the duff 32A cable/plug was yet to be diagnosed faulty but as I'd had the 13A optional socket fitted to the ROLEC it was much less inconvenient than it could have been. I had it fitted so I could plug my power washer in.