Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longest time in service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At my wits end with Tesla service. I picked up a brand new 2019 Model X early September. Moment I picked it up I texted the salesperson that there's a vibration in the steering wheel. Was told I would have to book an appointment through application, waited 2 weeks for Tesla techs to try to convince me there's no issue. Went to a different service center, techs said there absolutely is an issue. There is much more to this story in terms of Tesla service trying to convince me there's no vibration even though every person in my car goes "is that normal?"

In 6 weeks of ownership the Model X has already been in the shop for 2+ weeks and now on my 5th visit. This past Monday I was told was ready, which turned into Tuesday. Vibration I'm not even sure is there because as soon as I pulled out, car pulled to the right like crazy. Was told car was test driven multiple times. Not sure how this was missed?

In any case - I have yet to hear back, spent almost 5 hours on my 4th visit / time picking up the Model X to be told they had to keep it longer. This was Tuesday - tomorrow is Friday.

I don't understand how this is normal? 2-3 week wait times without your car on a brand new car?

When I brought up lemon laws and this being unacceptable, of course manager and techs started getting defensive and just shrugged shoulders. I don't understand how any of this is normal.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
This is Tesla normal. My X was in the shop for a total of something like two months for that first 6 months. After that it’s been in the shop every three or 6 months for broken stuff. Many parts take a month or two to be ordered. I have a service appointment right now that was scheduled three weeks out, and then Tesla rescheduled it the day of service to three weeks after that. They claim they didn’t have a part necessary.

Tesla leans hard on the fantasy that their cars require less maintenance than ICE cars during the sales process. That in reality is simply not true.

I was at first a proponent of their manufacturer owned service centers. But now as an owner, I am 100% opposed to the model. Tesla is deeply incentivized not to provide quality or timely service - because it’s a cost center for them. They have super long wait times and issues with parts because they really just don’t care at all. Point and case - to speak with service people on the phone, you have to call the sales line and then ask to be transferred to service. The service centers just don’t pick up the phone. It’s complete BS and super frustrating.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It is totally unacceptable.

I see you’re in NYC. Have you tried to have your car serviced at Paramus, NJ? I’ve had pretty good experiences with them on my S.

When I brought up lemon laws and this being unacceptable, of course manager and techs started getting defensive and just shrugged shoulders. I don't understand how any of this is normal.

Welcome to Tesla service.

In all fairness, there have been some good ones - even at the same SC as the bad ones. It's inconsistent at best and they have a lot of cars to service. The techs I spoke to said each mobile tech services about 10 cars a day, and the SC services more than 50/day and they're on timers. While this may help move the cars along for regular service. To me, it doesn't sound like a conducive enviornment for identifying issues.

There's a couple avenues to take, do an escalation through my account. If that doesn't work, start arbitration.

I just don't understand, and yes - I tried Paramus (where the car is now). I was using Brooklyn for the first few trips but they kept trying to convince me there were no issues with the car, only because they could not drive it over 40-50mph near them and had no way of even trying to replicate the issue. Also, the reason I went to Paramus is because when I finally was able to get someone on the phone in Brooklyn - they decided to hang up on me when they felt they were done with the conversation.

In Paramus it's the same BS. I e-mail every few days asking for an update, no response. 2nd to last trip I was turned away when I showed up after driving from NYC an hour to be told they don't have time. What service center turns a morning appointment way on the spot because they don't have time?

Like I said - at my wits end. Was really excited when I first picked the X up. All that excitement faded within the first hour when I was told would need to wait 2-3 weeks to look at an issue moments after picking the car up. This past Monday, after service tried to convince me multiple test drives were taken with the car and 4 hours of waiting for a solution (after 2 weeks in the shop) I just don't know.

I don't understand how in any world this is normal. 6 week old car, 2 weeks of those 6 weeks in service. Go to pick it up with issues, wait 4 hours, and then 3 days later app shows "in service" and no response from service center after multiple follow ups.

Hopefully Rivian or Taycan don't have these issues - first and last time with Tesla.

If you’ve been in 5 times for the same issue, I believe you qualify as having a lemon in NYS. You may want to just go the lemon law route and move on.

I've found at Tesla tech centers - taking responsibility is not something anyone there wants to do. They're also smart in avoiding taking responsibility - when I told them I would pursue lemon law when I was there Tuesday they then proceed to keep telling me "it's a different issue."

I've now e-mailed twice in the past 2 days, can't get a hold of anyone via phone and have no idea what's going on with my car.

Reactions: GreenT
In Paramus it's the same BS. I e-mail every few days asking for an update, no response. 2nd to last trip I was turned away when I showed up after driving from NYC an hour to be told they don't have time. What service center turns a morning appointment way on the spot because they don't have time?

Tesla Service can be bad, but I have never heard of anyone being turned away if they have an appointment. That is taking things to a new low for Tesla. Did you have an appointment?

If they can't figure this out soon, just have them buyback the car. Sounds like you got a lemon.

I got a Model X p100dl loaner with 50 miles odo and returned it with 20k miles odo. Guess how long was my car in the SC just to fix a squeaky problem?

Please share more details. This sounds unbelievable.

Tesla Service can be bad, but I have never heard of anyone being turned away if they have an appointment. That is taking things to a new low for Tesla. Did you have an appointment?

If they can't figure this out soon, just have them buyback the car. Sounds like you got a lemon.

Please share more details. This sounds unbelievable.

I had an appointment set for Friday, September 13th in the morning for what was supposed to be a 2 hour job. I actually scheduled it in person because I drove to Paramus after the woman in Brooklyn hung up on me. This was supposed to be my 3rd visit. Upon arrival, was told that they were backed up and they didn't have time to work on the car. Literally, turned away upon arriving after driving an hour from NYC.

Finally, dropped the car off 2 weeks later - which turned into what was supposed to be a few days of work into 2+ weeks. After 2 false starts when the car was supposed to be ready, finally went to pick it up this past Tuesday. Was told was test driven numerous times - and as soon as I pulled out immediately knew there was something wrong as the car pulled to the right very hard. 4 hours later, was given another loaner and told they would need the car for longer.

FINALLY, today I got to the point where I hadn't heard back all week (including 2 emails) and emailed service telling them I'm on my way. Within 5 mins received a response that the car was being dropped with me and everything fixed. Tech dropped it off at my garage in NYC but have not driven it yet - will find out this weekend or coming week if issues are in fact fixed when I drive it.

I'm all about Tesla and really trying to love this car - but this is not normal treatment. There is literally no world any of the above is OK, and the worst part is no one cares. There is literally no one to complain to, and even if you wanted to file with better business bureau - all you're doing is adding to their 1,200+ complaints already there.

I even asked the manager verbatim in front of other people: "issues caused by Tesla you're putting the onus on me to pay for with my time and money, correct?" - he put his head down and answered "yes."

I got a Model X p100dl loaner with 50 miles odo and returned it with 20k miles odo. Guess how long was my car in the SC just to fix a squeaky problem?

I wish that was the case. The first loaner they gave me was an older X which was completely beat to *sugar*. White perforated leather with clanking from the suspension. They tried to give it back to me the second time and told them I needed something newer so they gave me a Model S with the new fascia but was apparently an enerprise car? If it were a new 100D loaner that'd be one thing as my Model X is brand new with 22s, etc. It's another thing to be paying $1,200 a month to be driving around in a torn up Model X loaner.

I had a bunch of small issues that were ironed out over three quick service center visits. Once the gremlins were gone the car has truly been low maintenance. First annual service only required windshield wiper change. After having read all thes horror stories, the next time I get a Tesla I’m gonna drive the *sugar* out of it in the first day and return it if there are any glaring issues like a vibration.

When does the vibration occur? At highway speed?

Most commonly vibration is due to either the wheel or the tire.
Consider taking the car to a specialty wheel tire shop.

My MX has been in service for months this year but I try to view this as the glass half full. Allowed us to put tons of miles on the loaners which prolongs the warranty.

I wish that was the case. The first loaner they gave me was an older X which was completely beat to *sugar*. White perforated leather with clanking from the suspension. They tried to give it back to me the second time and told them I needed something newer so they gave me a Model S with the new fascia but was apparently an enerprise car? If it were a new 100D loaner that'd be one thing as my Model X is brand new with 22s, etc. It's another thing to be paying $1,200 a month to be driving around in a torn up Model X loaner.
What’s going on with your case