Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

looking at a used Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys this is Peter in New Zealand with some questions pertaining specifically to someone whom purchased of a second hand Model 'S' from someone in Texas and had it exported to Germany. The vehicle has some 'panel damage' to the passenger side but otherwise sound !

My understanding from talking to him in Germany is that Tesla Motors (has big reservations) to support the vehicle locally in Germany and to be diplomatic made life a bit complicated to get it repaired.

Tesla are currently not "willing" to support the USA model S versions in Europe. The EU model S is in some facets is a different car ... The Tesla guys in USA had shut down the battery pack for security reasons, and to unlock it will require a code from them.

Does anyone have some ideas how his problem within Germany can be solved without major cost and what is a similar situation in the USA. Can a Tesla be purchased in any USA state and then moved to any other state and still receive all the standard service requirements without any hearteache

Regards, Peter
Yes service is independent of state purchased. Car is different in different countries. I completely understand that a young resourse not unlimited company reluctant to support car designed for particular region of globe elsewhere. It would involve techs world wide training on every version.

Hi Chickenlittle > That sounds appropriate pertaining to service and maintainance issues between countries, what about simply ordering spare parts to replace panel damage which is not a service issue !!

What about in the USA, can an owner move across state lines with his Tesla to live and transfer the service ..

Hi Chickenlittle > That sounds appropriate pertaining to service and maintainance issues between countries, what about simply ordering spare parts to replace panel damage which is not a service issue !!

What about in the USA, can an owner move across state lines with his Tesla to live and transfer the service ..

State lines are virtually invisible in the US with regards to service. Where I live, the two nearest service centers are in different states. my car has been to both service centers without issue or paperwork.

Congrats on the new ride. I got my used P85 a month ago with 10k miles on it. Everything is transferable, including any service plans (tire/wheel coverage, warranty, service) that were bought by the previous owner. I have zero regrets cancelling my order with Tesla and buying this used P85 instead, except that I wasn't able to directly support Tesla with my $.

It all depends on how much you will miss the $10,000. For some 10 grand is pocket change. For others it means a month or two of living expenses.
I did without the tech pack because it's mostly costly gimmicks that add little to the driving experience. Which is why I bought the car. If gimmicks was my desire I would have bought a far cheaper loaded ICE car.. The Service package would be more important to me.

But either way you have a Tesla. either one will be the best car you have ever owned. It's nice to have a choice where both outcomes are great.