Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at the used market for a Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a little word of caution, hopefully won't apply!

I purchased my P85D in September 2016 and had a cherished plate to be transferred. I insured with NFU mutual (who I understand are no longer taking new customers) and it wasn't until the renewal a year later that I noticed that it was insured with the original registration! WTF!!!

Not certain how it happened or what would have happened in the event of a claim but worthwhile being certain.

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
Wow! I haven't spoken to the insurance, next on the to do list.

Just a little word of caution, hopefully won't apply!

I purchased my P85D in September 2016 and had a cherished plate to be transferred. I insured with NFU mutual (who I understand are no longer taking new customers) and it wasn't until the renewal a year later that I noticed that it was insured with the original registration! WTF!!!

Not certain how it happened or what would have happened in the event of a claim but worthwhile being certain.

what would have happened in the event of a claim

I bought a car with previous owner's cherished plate on it ... donkey's years ago. In those days some months later had to take my car, and original punter's new car, to DVLA so they could "see both" and then original owner got to put their plate on their new car.

So I got Some Other Plate ... never got around to telling my insurance company ... wrote the car off :rolleyes: ... bit of a hiccup initially, but insurance company said that what they had insured was the VIN no ...

Reactions: vitesse
never got around to telling my insurance company ... wrote the car off :rolleyes: ... bit of a hiccup initially, but insurance company said that what they had insured was the VIN no ...

My Dad changed his car and forgot to tell the insurance company at all :eek:. He only remembered after the Fire Brigade had put the car out after it had spontaneously caught fire on the drive at home (it was a Renault). Luckily it was exactly the same model, year, value etc as the one that was insured, so they generously met the claim in full. o_O

I spoke to the insurance company - they won't change the reg on their system until the new plates are on the car (which we're trading in).

Yes the car from which I'm retaining the cherished plate still needs to have an MOT where applicable, or an active SORN if it's not on the road and be available for inspection, but I doubt it will actually need to be inspected.

Our previous car three years ago was written-off (big Audi Q-series monster t-boned my wife); thankfully we had dashcam footage, though our insurer had to threaten to sue the third party's insurer before they coughed-up :( So the cherished plate had to be transferred from a written-off car; but there were no problems doing this.

So the betting is on to see if, unlikely but - on paper, possible, a) DVLA gets the V5C for our old trade-in car's change of plate to me by the end of the week, and b) Tesla UK can get the car we're purchasing to West Drayton so I can collect it by the end of Friday. Tesla deliveries are only between 10AM and 4PM on weekdays.

I think it will be a small miracle if this is achieved but it would be SOOOOO nice not to have tp twiddle-thumbs over the May bank holiday without the long-anticipated Tesla!

Updates will come :D

<expletive> :( On Monday we received an email indicating we'd have a collection date within 7 days - suggesting we'd have the car within 7 days.

Now we've just received a delivery appointment for 21st May - of course it's perfectly normal for a used car to take the best part of four weeks since being ordered to be delivered - this makes as much sense as my sense of humour, which is not very humorous at the moment.

Tesla has had the car since early April at least. I wouldn't mind if the car was being fully refurbed but it's not, as they don't do that on CPOs any more - in the words of the sales person "to keep prices down and speed up delivery." Right.

Last edited:
After my initial frustration at the unexpected and unexplained news of a 3 week delivery wait, the delivery team have given us a bit of hope by saying they will try to bring the date forward if possible. To be honest they have been very positive and helpful and the news if the long wait has been the first and only niggle so far.

Just thinking, how much depreciation should I expect with our CPO 70D (March 2016, 30K miles) after say 3 years? It will still have 1 year of Tesla warranty left and probably 10,000 miles of warranty left (70K miles total by then).

If we save £8K in fuel and road tax in that time could we break even?

Just thinking, how much depreciation should I expect with our CPO 70D (March 2016, 30K miles) after say 3 years? It will still have 1 year of Tesla warranty left and probably 10,000 miles of warranty left (70K miles total by then).

If we save £8K in fuel and road tax in that time could we break even?

Doubt it. It's going to be worth less than half what you paid. Add M3 diluting Model S pricing and the Model Y. All a guess though. I am trying not to think about things like that!

Have you got a collection date yet?

<expletive> :( On Monday we received an email indicating we'd have a collection date within 7 days - suggesting we'd have the car within 7 days.

Now we've just received a delivery appointment for 21st May - of course it's perfectly normal for a used car to take the best part of four weeks since being ordered to be delivered - this makes as much sense as my sense of humour, which is not very humorous at the moment.

Tesla has had the car since early April at least. I wouldn't mind if the car was being fully refurbed but it's not, as they don't do that on CPOs any more - in the words of the sales person "to keep prices down and speed up delivery." Right.

It is possible they are fixing something and that is adding the delay. Seems odd to say 7 days and then bump you back. Mine came with a replaced rear carbon spoiler. Maybe you are getting a new battery!

James

Doubt it. It's going to be worth less than half what you paid. Add M3 diluting Model S pricing and the Model Y. All a guess though. I am trying not to think about things like that!

Have you got a collection date yet?

Why so pessimistic?

I haven't seen a single advertised Model S for less than £26K and that had done 260,000 miles :D

Even 2014 60 models with Autopilot not enabled are advertised at £35K minimum and these have no Tesla warranty apart from the battery/drivetrain warranty.

We'd probably sell privately rather than trade-in.

It is possible they are fixing something and that is adding the delay. Seems odd to say 7 days and then bump you back. Mine came with a replaced rear carbon spoiler. Maybe you are getting a new battery!

James

Haha, that would be nice but i seriously doubt it.

I think the May bank holiday and slight complication with the private plate retention for our trade-in might be the real reason. The '7 days' quoted might also have meant they will let us know the collection date within 7 days.

Anyway, we're ready to go now as the trade-in's new V5C has just arrived.

Tesla need 4 days to process the payment (which they require by BACS) so we'll do that today.

Put a price on the enjoyment you will get, how much more refreshed you arrive each time (so less wear-and-tear on you), potentially avoided crashes because of better tech than you had ...

My Man Maths adds that up to WHATEVER depreciation you will incur :)

This is all about bragging rights :D Spend loadsamoney on the car yet reduce TCO compared to our old banger - we've been running a 2009 Mazda 6 Sport for three years. It's been very reliable and actually quite nice to drive. For a Mondeo sized petrol with a big 2.5 litre four it's reasonably economical as well. We bought it cheap so depreciation has only been £3K in total plus petrol and servicing that's about £12K in three years.

I had a visitor yesterday, we chatted some about Solar Thermal hot water heating / Eco stuff etc. and I offered to take him out in the car as he wanted EV for his works van (realistically nothing suitable ... yet) and had never been in an EV.; (Not sure performance Tesla same as Works Van, but hey!)

So I did my standard patter:

"I'll just turn CLIMATE on" (from phone)

Go out and get into car:

What would you like to listen to on Spottily?

Quick check of long-distance journey in SatNav which told us where to charge, arrival %age, time stopped. I checked the Satellite view zooming in on Destination to see where I might park behind the destination building ...

Then explained that all Passive Entry Cars are being nicked using keyfob amplifier ... but within a couple of months Tesla had come out with Pin-to-drive OTA update. Put my PIN in

Then the coolest thing ever happened ... there was a waiting software update on the console asking what time I wanted to install it.

We haven't left the drive yet and I can see my referral code warming up nicely!

Quick look at Fart Mode ...

Then set off. Quiet as a mouse of course.

I explained regen - accelerate a bit down our lane to 40-ish, then lift off and let it slow right down, "I only use the brakes in an emergency, so expecting to get 100,000, maybe 150,000, miles out of them"

Through the village, lovely smooth ride.

Turn onto main road. There is a juggernaut coming, but he's some way off. I pull out and immediately stop.

"Put your head back"

Press GO ...

"Don't really want a Ferrari, only 2 seats, no luggage space, totally impractical. And anyway this is faster"

My main road is perfect, half a mile to a 40 MPH zone, and then a tight double bend. So after the launch drama (dunno if the lorry thought "idiot" and was onto his brakes, but we were over the horizon already ...) I put AP on. As it saw the 40 sign it slowed down, took my hands off the wheel completely for the double bend, came out of the 40 and the car sped up again ... and that is all AP1

Suggest that giving demos is way better than cost-of-ownership bragging rights. But prompted by you I have added to my Demo Script:

"Oh, and its only 2p a mile in fuel"

Enjoy :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: DJP31 and vitesse