TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for a plug-in Home Charger recommendations

Discussion in 'North America' started by sukhi, Apr 26, 2016.

1. sukhi

sukhi Member

Team,
    Any recommendations for a plug in home charger solution in SF Bay Area?
    I currently have a bulky Blink plug-in charger (circa 2011) with 40amp wiring. I am looking to upgrade to a faster and smaller plug-in charger.
    Since I own a MX as well as a BMW i3, i would not be getting a Tesla only charger.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    PS: Also I looked and saw that there are no current EV charger install incentive programs beyond the federal tax deduction. (subject to AMT)

2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Buy a Tesla wall charger. They are only $550 now.

3. sukhi

sukhi Member

Thanks. Are there adopters available to charge non-tesla cars using the Tesla charger?

4. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I would recommend getting the Tesla HPWC and replacing the plug end with an 80A J1772 plug. There are people who have done this before.

5. sukhi

sukhi Member

I checked on Tesla Website and looks like only the new hardwired charged is available (5 week wait on that). I could not find the plug-in version.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

There is no plug in version.

• Informative x 1
  7. sukhi

sukhi Member

Thanks, that's what I figured. I am leaving towards a ChargePoint plug-in EVSE.

8. Fusion

Fusion Member

• Informative x 1
  9. sukhi

sukhi Member

Thank you. I think I am going to go watch Th the Chargepoint plugin version. It is about $650 with a 18' cord.

10. sukhi

sukhi Member

Actually looking at Jesla link above, I am wondering isn't the included Tesla charger a de facto plug in charger?

I could just get another one of those for the garage and keep it plugged in into the 40a 240v plug point that I have there,

Thoughts?

11. Fusion

Fusion Member

The Jesla is basically a modified Tesla portable charger with a J1772 handle. It was initially created for the Toyota Rav4 EV by a enthusiast. He has since made it into a company.

Yes, you could just get another portable charger and keep it in the garage and use the J1772 adapter. Would be much cheaper at $550 + $99 adapter. Only part is if you don't have a Tesla yet, you would have to find someone with one to help you buy it.

• Informative x 1
  12. jbabb

jbabb Member

13. kort677

kort677 Active Member

have you considered using the chargers that come with the tesla and the I3? all you'd need to do is install a 14-50 and whatever plug the I3 uses.

14. davewill

davewill Member

The big problem is that it can't be set or configured for a 40a circuit...otherwise I might have got a JESLA myself (the RAV4EV doesn't have the dial down feature, so it would have been hopeless). I decided to go the OpenEVSE route for my carry-along EVSE.

With the new and cheaper HPWC, you could certainly consider getting one "JESLA'd" and reuse the pigtail from the Blink (I have one too, which I'm still using) to plug it in. Of course, If it's a permanent install, you could also just eliminate the receptacle and use the box as a junction box to hardwire the HPWC instead.