Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for chrome/silver/mirror spray paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I noticed yesterday that we must've backed up on a curb and scratched up the (faux?) chrome piece on the underside of the rear diffuser on our 2013 MS. I already cut off/bent back some deformed pieces and was now wondering if anyone knows a good chrome/silver spray paint that's safe for outdoor use so I don't have to invest $500+ to get this replaced, given the damage is fairly minimal and only on one side (see picture).

I've been looking around a bit, and Rust-Oleum (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000PQGE2M) seems to be pretty popular, but I doubt that it's up to the task (outdoor use, water, dirt...).

Thanks so much for your help!

Ben

Attachments

• 2016-08-17 13.19.15.jpg
    2016-08-17 13.19.15.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 78
The chrome wrap idea above may be a good one, but I know that wrap can have issues sticking/staying if it's not a good, clean, smooth surface. Since it's not a smooth area, it may not stay. Honestly, I bet no one even sees that but you! But I'm the same way and I'm sure it would bother me too. Good luck!

Thanks, you guys, I think that's a great idea actually! Should be much more durable, and if I make the patch big enough, it's basically attached to the smooth, intact surrounding surface. Also, if I make the patch long enough to extend to the bend of the piece that's just under the lower edge of the diffuser, where the chrome piece becomes visible from the rear of the car, you won't even be able to tell there was any damage :)

Will report on my success (or failure :p ).

Reactions: benjiejr
If you can't find a really durable chrome wrap (fairly lightweight, thin) consider doing a layer of more durable clear XPEL over top of the chrome wrap. In that area of the car rocks and debris would be an issue to contend with.

That body part might need some prep steps to help adhesion.. the XPEL site goes into that.

The chrome wrap may also be useful to wrap each door handle with a fresh layer of bright. And if you scratch or wear that off.. peel and stick a new one on.

Careful, it's addictive you might end up wrapping your whole car in chrome. There's a different thread on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AutoArmour
I agree that Xpel is very helpful on paint ESPECIALLY in areas that get hit the most (rockers, full front end, rear impact, E.T.C.), but in our shop we normally don't put Xpel on the chrome rear diffusers. Having Xpel on that chrome piece wouldn't have prevented that damage, and I don't know that it would give a longer life to a chrome wrap - but like I said we don't normally wrap that piece so maybe it would! That part of the car isn't really seen, so things like rock chips aren't really going to be noticed. The only time when something really shows on that piece is when you hit something or back into something like the gentleman that started this thread did. (That sucks, sorry man!) I recommend spending your money with Xpel on the pieces that are seen. Protect your investment! This is just one persons opinion though!