Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for CPO - Any Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a CPO 2012 P85 Signature, Loaded with everything except pano roof. 86k miles.

Was constantly refreshing the CPO site and this one popped up for $37k.

Would've been gone in under 15 minutes, no doubt.

From what I've seen, Tesla usually posts new CPO inventory on weekdays at around 11:30 AM PST. The cars are listed here first, even before you receive EV-CPO email alerts.

The EV-CPO alert for the one I bought didn't email me until 15 mins after I put the deposit down.

Was constantly refreshing the CPO site and this one popped up for $37k.

Would've been gone in under 15 minutes, no doubt.

From what I've seen, Tesla usually posts new CPO inventory on weekdays at around 11:30 AM PST. The cars are listed here first, even before you receive EV-CPO email alerts.

Thanks for the info. So you were just refreshing the tesla used inventory page around 11:30 every weekday? Tesla.com seems to just show about a dozen cars that are geographically close to me, which puts me at a huge disadvantage compared to looking at the entire used fleet. Did you find a trick to search wider than your local area?

Have you guys ever seen pricing errors on Tesla's website? Or possibly price errors in ev-cpo? Looking at archived sales, there are some crazy outliers......

Examples:
2012 P85 51K miles 4-year 50K warranty, dual chargers, Air Suspension, Upgraded audio was $30,500
2012 P85 48K miles 4-year 50K warranty, dual chargers, Air Suspension, Upgraded audio, Glass Roof, 21" Turbines was $35,000

Are these unicorn cars, that go immediately? Purchased by Tesla employees, before any of the public truly gets a chance to buy them? Or are these cars out there, and you just gotta be ready to pull the trigger quick?

Yes, there have been a few pricing errors, but they are usually corrected quickly. I also don't think those two examples are outliers. Sometimes Tesla prices a few cars really low (for whatever reason, could be some body damage that was repaired).. and yes, they go very quickly.

All the pricing info on EV-CPO comes directly from the Tesla data, so if there's something wrong, it's from the source. Feel free to report any oddities to me, and I'll investigate and fix anything if needed.

Yes, there have been a few pricing errors, but they are usually corrected quickly. I also don't think those two examples are outliers. Sometimes Tesla prices a few cars really low (for whatever reason, could be some body damage that was repaired).. and yes, they go very quickly.

Thank you for all of the help. I'm new to CPO hunting, do the prices on specific vehicles ever go down over time? I have one that I really like, but I honestly feel that I can get a better price if I wait for something else to come up. I'm sure it's a great car, it just seems overprices based on data of past sales in the archive. Pricing on these things are all over the place.....

Thank you for all of the help. I'm new to CPO hunting, do the prices on specific vehicles ever go down over time? I have one that I really like, but I honestly feel that I can get a better price if I wait for something else to come up. I'm sure it's a great car, it just seems overprices based on data of past sales in the archive. Pricing on these things are all over the place.....

Imo, if you see something you like, snag it.

Yeah, prices go down all the time... but you're up against other people also watching for prices to drop.. so it's a little bit of a gamble to wait. They typically only go down $1000 at a time... so if you found the right car, is it worth it to you to lock it up for $1000? Or possibly miss it?

There is no rhyme or reason, it took me about 4 months to grab what i wanted. When I saw it, i bought it from the site within 10 minutes. Talk with the CPO Advisor there are times they see things first but in my case I acted quickly and got exactly what I was searching for.

Of course the longer you wait the prices will be coming down but how long can you wait?

I can definitely wait a few months. There was a nice batch of about 5 CPO cars this morning that got their prices slashed. An awesome loaded 2013 85 got slashed by $5,600. I'm being picky, I didn't jump on it because I want a car that I can pick up on the west coast and avoid $2K shipping. It'll happen....I hope.

It'll definitely happen. Either you'll see one to jump on, or your SA will find one for you. Especially if you're willin g to wait it out. Keep plunking money in the Tesla fund as you wait and your ceiling will keep raising as well.

Just be patient and watch ev-cpo religiously. We put a deposit on a Model S P85 with 37k Miles about 6 weeks ago. Took delivery yesterday from the Nashville service center. We were more than pleased with the overall condition of the car. The car was a one owner, clean title car from California.

On edit: I forgot to mention that I haven’t seen another P85 with similar mileage and options for the same price. Everything has been significantly more.

Just be patient and watch ev-cpo religiously. We put a deposit on a Model S P85 with 37k Miles about 6 weeks ago. Took delivery yesterday from the Nashville service center. We were more than pleased with the overall condition of the car. The car was a one owner, clean title car from California.

On edit: I forgot to mention that I haven’t seen another P85 with similar mileage and options for the same price. Everything has been significantly more.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely glued to ev-cpo an all alerts from it. I'm ready to drop everything and pull the trigger once the perfect car comes up. I'm trying to think long-term, and come up with a plan. I'm a day one 'line waiter' for the model 3, so my estimate for a SR Model 3 is Jan - Mar 2018. I'm not a pessimist by any means, but I really don't think that this timing sounds realistic anymore. I'm going to try and score a killer deal on a CPO model S w/ a 4-year warranty. When my times comes for the 3, I can make a decision to stick with the CPO Model S, or sell it and roll with a new Model 3 (and get a nice federal and state tax credit).

As a side note, it seems that nice Model S cars seem to sell decently on 3rd party markets like Craigslist. I've seen some nice S's sell for decent amounts. My hope is that I can get a really nice, well priced CPO S, with a 4 year. If I end up selling it in 2018 to get a model 3, I should be at a pretty attractive price point that includes a nice transferrable warranty with 3+ years left on it.

This is my plan at least. I fully understand that this is NOT a money making or financially practical decision. A lot of car buying is not practical, and I'm OK with that. That said, anyone see any glaring horrible holes in my plan?

Nope, you're in a good headspace. Your only problem will be, once you're in your Model S, it'll be tough to avoid keeping it and getting the Model 3 as well, especially if you get the Performance model you've been eyeing. It's an addiction!

With Tesla looking at redirecting battery production to island power infrastructure, delays in car production seem inevitable, and semi unveil is already confirmed. Plenty of time to wait and watch.

Reactions: thegooch49
Nope, you're in a good headspace. Your only problem will be, once you're in your Model S, it'll be tough to avoid keeping it and getting the Model 3 as well, especially if you get the Performance model you've been eyeing. It's an addiction!

With Tesla looking at redirecting battery production to island power infrastructure, delays in car production seem inevitable, and semi unveil is already confirmed. Plenty of time to wait and watch.

Awesome, thanks for the validation. I would LOVE to keep the S, I think there is a good chance that maybe I'll just keep both when the time comes around. We'll see! There was a 2013 S w/ AP1 (2-year warranty) up today for about 15 minutes at $49,000. I was close, I'm still on the sidelines for now, but I think I'm ready to go.

My CPO advisor was great, in fact I still chat with him. He got a great letter from Fremont for the my interaction. Give him a call:
Brent Seavey
847-579-0028 ext 72102
[email protected]
his cell:
630-849-4233

Very responsive and all around a great guy.
I also worked with Brent Seavey and also found him easy to deal with once he realized I was a serious buyer. When I found the sales associate handling my purchase less than responsive, a quick email to Brent got me a response from the sales guy in just a couple of hours. If Brent doesn't handle your area — he works out of Illinois last I heard — he likely will know the CPO advisor who does.

The real advantage of Hank's EV-CPO website is that it gives you a feel for what's out there (and it is fun to look). If you give your CPO advisor a list of your wants and he or she finds a car that meets the criteria, but isn't listed yet, you will know if it is a good deal or not.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I also worked with Brent Seavey and also found him easy to deal with once he realized I was a serious buyer. When I found the sales associate handling my purchase less than responsive, a quick email to Brent got me a response from the sales guy in just a couple of hours. If Brent doesn't handle your area — he works out of Illinois last I heard — he likely will know the CPO advisor who does.

The real advantage of Hank's EV-CPO website is that it gives you a feel for what's out there (and it is fun to look). If you give your CPO advisor a list of your wants and he or she finds a car that meets the criteria, but isn't listed yet, you will know if it is a good deal or not.

Perfect, thanks for the info. I have an awesome OA, I'm in good hands. She's super responsive, and is great to work with.