Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some wisdom for choosing 75D vs 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I took your advice literally, I would now be pointlessly driving a 100D. I never said your personal experience wasn't valid, it's just not valid for everyone else, so fundamentally flawed as universal advice.

I'll say it again one more time. It's all about assessing your own personal needs, both present and over the car ownership period. If your driving profile changes drastically, then sure you might get caught out, but it's very unlikely to be the end of the world. It's not like the 100D has twice the range or is twice as fast to supercharge. It's just that bit more convenient as you found out yourself.

Of course if you are a multi-millionaire with cash to burn then you would simply get a P100D without a second thought, whether or not you actually needed the range or performance, but that doesn't apply to many. Anyone who can afford a 75D, can almost certainly afford a 100D and probably a P100D at a stretch. But there are always opportunity costs to consider for the vast majority of people.

I'm reminded of that quip, "America, we're a hundred years is a long time. Europe, where a hundred miles is a long ways." It's not at all uncommon to take thousand to 3000, even 10000 mile trip just for the fun of it here. It's a big wide country with a lot to see and not much in the middle!

But I do agree with you as to the battery degradation. It's just not that big of an issue.

Reactions: Peteski
I have a 75, my thought process was that battery costs will fall and 5-7 years out I could upgrade for cheaper.

In hindsight, would go with the biggest pack available. Daily commuting not noticeable but long trips you really feel it supercharging. Not just with the slower charge rate but smaller pack equals reaching higher state of charge and slowing the charge rate, especially for longer distance jumps. Also factor in temps, speeds and more passengers and it always helps to have more energy.

I have a 75, my thought process was that battery costs will fall and 5-7 years out I could upgrade for cheaper.

In hindsight, would go with the biggest pack available. Daily commuting not noticeable but long trips you really feel it supercharging. Not just with the slower charge rate but smaller pack equals reaching higher state of charge and slowing the charge rate, especially for longer distance jumps. Also factor in temps, speeds and more passengers and it always helps to have more energy.

Thats the thing though, does anyone really wanna spend 16k more on something that doesn't affect 95% or their driving? i take maybe 1-2 roadtrips a year that are long enough to require supercharging. Thats a lot of money to save 15-20 mins.

Thats the thing though, does anyone really wanna spend 16k more on something that doesn't affect 95% or their driving? i take maybe 1-2 roadtrips a year that are long enough to require supercharging. Thats a lot of money to save 15-20 mins.

Where do we spend 50 used to 150 k for a new Tesla at all? And I'm a really long trip, 325 K miles, you talking 4 to 6 hours difference in time. If your spouse complains about the time even once, I think maybe it was worth the 15K. Besides, as has been pointed out many times, some of that 15K will be recapped in the resale of the car.

Reguardless of how long I keep it, some of the price difference will be recouped at trade in.

Depends how long you keep the car and how you choose to pay for the car in the first place. On a lease or PCP deal, the larger battery simply increases the monthly cost and you have to decide for yourself it it's worth it. For me in the UK, that was also compounded by a higher finance rate on the 100D at the time too (2.5% vs 1.5%). In my case I think it would have cost a good £250+ per month extra over 4 years for the bigger battery. Money I would never recoup and I didn't really need the bigger battery so it was an easy decision in my case. I was lucky that the 75D performance was improved just before I ordered, otherwise I may have chosen the 100D just for the extra power before the uncorking (back when the difference in acceleration was night and day).

After 10K miles I'm not regretting it in the slightest. I've only ever charged to 100% literally a couple of times (and never on a Supercharger) and rarely need to go above 80% on a daily basis. I'd be a bit pissed if I was only using 60-70% of a 100D battery for 95% of the year. For me the benefits would be zero. For others it makes sense to go bigger.

Where do we spend 50 used to 150 k for a new Tesla at all? And I'm a really long trip, 325 K miles, you talking 4 to 6 hours difference in time. If your spouse complains about the time even once, I think maybe it was worth the 15K. Besides, as has been pointed out many times, some of that 15K will be recapped in the resale of the car.

But you don't flush money down the pan if you don't get any real world benefit from it do you? You don't carry around dead weight on your back either unless it's doing something useful for you.

As said, the "value" all depends how much use you make of the bigger battery. There's no getting away from the fact that you pay through the nose for increased battery size. As the cost per kWh comes down, it becomes an easier decision whether or not to upgrade.

On a 1100 mile roadtrip, having a 100D saves me 3 hours on the trip vs having a 75D. Having a child, i think the range of the baby's bladder is less than that of a 100D anyways so we'd end up stopping more often than needed regardless.

That is most certainly not worth $16K.

The argument that if you spend more you'll get more on the resale of the car is silly, because if you didn't spend that $16k in the first place, you wouldn't have to recap it.

Used 100Ds are not selling $16k more than 75Ds that for sure, so you'll never get a 100% ROI.

Reactions: P85_DA
You have to look at the ops question and statements.
He lives where he only has 110 and can't change it. So this is pretty critical in terms of ownership. We all know that 110 is horrible to charge with. That's why I said the 75d is a better choice. it is absolutely the most efficient and he'll need that.

For the day trips obviously the 100d is a better choice. I guess it depends on cost difference as it's a lease. It;s a HUGE dif from 75 to 100 for road trips, way more than the numbers would suggest. But if this is only being done once or twice a year and it's a 200 mile round trip, you'd have to see where charging is available.

Another potential option is getting a set of
CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS
as they will add about 5% range/efficiency.

The odd part about the op is that it says lease but then lists the price difference in total price of the car. ???

One thing to think about. It's not the argument of having to stop more or less. But the fact the ability to stop less in situations where charging is lacking. Such as driving from Las Vegas to Zion. If it weren't for the fact there was empty stops of slow L2 available at the visitor center, it would be very right for the 70D to go up there and back to St George to charge again. It limits the possibility of driving around. Or being able to skip SC due to the unexpected outage.

It's the peace of mind in case of need.

Very true. So it will be a personal decision that fits your families needs. Another thing is if you have any remote chance you want to tow, always better to have more battery.