Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some wisdom for choosing 75D vs 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing to do with my advice to the OP to go ahead with the 100D except he need not "justify" it.

Fair enough, but I think there are some very valid reasons for considering the larger battery that a new purchaser may not be aware of. The 75 would just not be practical for me in a Model X for reasons previously stated, so, for me, the 100 is "justifiable". However, if the reasons I listed are not considerations for a new purchaser, then the 75 would be perfectly adequate at a lower cost. I don't think we need to be "defending" our purchase decisions, but a thoughtful conversation around pros and cons could be very helpful to those new to EVs and Tesla.

I'm deciding between a S75D and an S100D. Both are inventory with a few miles on them. The 100D has a bigger discount, including tax credit (18%) vs the S75D (10%). The diff in price is about $10k. My 3 day a week commute is 50mi/rt, plus 1 day a week 100mi/rt. Maybe 1 long road trip max. I live in a condo building where installing a home charger would be expensive and a headache to get it going. I have a SC 1 mile from home and 1 mile from work.

Do I really need the 100D, or am I just carrying around weight?
I'm wondering if the 100D would hold more resale value, since it's discounted 8% more than the 75D, giving me a little more room on the down side? Or am i just playing brain games to justify more range i'll probably never need.

I'm deciding between a S75D and an S100D. Both are inventory with a few miles on them. The 100D has a bigger discount, including tax credit (18%) vs the S75D (10%). The diff in price is about $10k. My 3 day a week commute is 50mi/rt, plus 1 day a week 100mi/rt. Maybe 1 long road trip max. I live in a condo building where installing a home charger would be expensive and a headache to get it going. I have a SC 1 mile from home and 1 mile from work.

I'm wondering if the 100D would hold more resale value, since it's discounted 8% more than the 75D, giving me a little more room on the down side? Or am i just playing brain games to justify more range i'll probably never need.

One thing to consider ... is you live in a cold climate for winter the heaters are not the most efficient and without home charging you can easily eat a lot of energy warming the battery and car ...having owned three Tesla’s you will also find yourself driving more with probably some more long distance drives ..imo the delta is not much that I would really consider the 100 battery they are great !

One thing to consider ... is you live in a cold climate for winter the heaters are not the most efficient and without home charging you can easily eat a lot of energy warming the battery and car ...having owned three Tesla’s you will also find yourself driving more with probably some more long distance drives ..imo the delta is not much that I would really consider the 100 battery they are great !

Thanks for the info, I do live in Chicago, and when I'm at work the car sits outside for 12hrs. So I think if the cold cut the range that bad, I would work with my building to install a home charger . My neighbor got 2 quotes of around $1800, due to the distance the line has to be run, but it just might make things that much easier and convient n the long run.

Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks for the info, I do live in Chicago, and when I'm at work the car sits outside for 12hrs. So I think if the cold cut the range that bad, I would work with my building to install a home charger . My neighbor got 2 quotes of around $1800, due to the distance the line has to be run, but it just might make things that much easier and convient n the long run.
you will definitely want a home charger at some point. Running to a supercharger a few times a week will get old fast

75D has these advantages:
- cheaper
100D has these advantages:
- worth more when you eventually sell it
- can let it go to lower % for the same range reserve
- charges at a higher kW rate
- needs be charged less frequently

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA

Or get a home charger. It will save you $10,000 and be a lot more convenient.
Plus, the condo has to get used to the idea of EVs sooner or later.

Reactions: Don TLR
I originally purchased a 75 for my dailly 70 mile round trip commute from LA to the OC. I was able to charge every other day and had a 14-50 installed at work.

Soon after I realized I should have gone with a bigger battery because if I charged on Friday at work (to go home for the weekend), I’d find myself experiencing range anxiety by Sunday and I’d be forced into a decision to either supercharge Sunday evening (or Monday morning before work), or charge via 110v at home overnight.

I traded up for the 100 soon after and now the Tesla works as intended and makes my commutes and weekends a complete delight. I don’t have to plan my charging routine into my days, etc and I’m able to drive it without worrying if I forgot to charge, etc

Go with the biggest battery that you can afford (or want to pay) so you don’t have to work the charging routine into your daily and weekend planning.

Last edited:
I own a 75d and a P100d. For you the 75d is a MUCH better choice. Asside from the money, it's more efficient. Charging with 110 means you're limited in how much juice you can put in the vehicle every night. You want the car with the highest efficiency which will get you the furthest on the 10-15kw you can add nightly.

When people show the only pro of the 75 being the cost, that's just not true.

Reactions: f205v
@Zooomer I'm very much interested in what you say.
Can you please compare (based on the same route) how many kWh a 75 is using compared to the 100, and give us the numbers?
Because it looks to me that you are comparing a Performance model (3 engines) with a standard one (2 engines), while @skrobo is trying to compare standard models (S75D and S100D)
Thanks

75D has these advantages:
- cheaper
100D has these advantages:
- worth more when you eventually sell it
- can let it go to lower % for the same range reserve
- charges at a higher kW rate
- needs be charged less frequently

The 75D is also 160 kg lighter, so it handles a bit better. Might not matter to you, but it does to me on the twisty driving roads where I live.
The 100D being worth more seems like pure man maths to me. Depreciation on the extra cost of the 100D will far outweigh any small difference in overall percentage depreciation between the two models. My X75D is on a PCP with a guaranteed residual value and I think it was the same percentage on both cars i.e. the X75D is most definitely cheaper to own.

Don't get me wrong, I would take a 100D if I needed the extra range on a regular basis, but fortunately I don't. I rarely even stretch the 75D range in reality, so the bigger battery would be a very expensive dead weight to haul around (for me and anyone else not needing the additional 50-60 mile range and faster super-charging)

There is no right or wrong answer here, it all depends on your personal usage profile. But I suspect there are a lot more 100D drivers not making any significant use of the extra battery vs 75D drivers struggling to get by. Obviously the latter will complain more and wish they'd spent the extra money on a bigger battery, while the former will find reasons to justify the extra cost to themselves. That's just human nature.

FWIW when I bought my X 75D I did have some doubts about the range and was seriously considering the X 100D, but after 10k miles of driving I'm so glad I didn't spend the extra money as I've had zero range anxiety and super-charging is plenty quick enough for me anyway. But I did thoroughly check all my driving routes and read up on real world range expectancy beforehand. Really that is the key to making the right decision here.

Go with the biggest battery that you can afford (or want to pay) so you don’t have to work the charging routine into your daily and weekend planning.

Yet again, that's simply imposing your personal usage profile onto everyone else. For you a 100D makes a lot of sense, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for everyone else. I have a home charger, so I'm plugged in overnight. I rarely need to charge my 75D beyond 80% to get through the day effortlessly.

I can afford a 100D, but it would be an insane choice for my usage so I say go with the biggest battery you actually NEED or will at least make some use of regularly. It's a lot of very expensive battery to carry around as dead weight.

OP lives in California so this may not matter but for many of us that live in Northern climates the bigger battery REALLY matters in every way.

On the coldest winter days -30c, I get as much as 40% range loss. Making my 420km (90D) range go down to about 250km. I use to drive a lot and that would be pushing the limits of my daily drive, so the bigger battery is very useful. Frankly, if Tesla does make a 1000km battery, that would make my winter range on par with most ICE cars (if not better) and would smoke them the rest of the year.

The added weight of the bigger battery is also good in the winter. I know someone said the lighter 75 handles better because of less weight, whereas, I would say the opposite is true in the snow. My car is a tank! Put 4 snows on it and it's as good as anything I've driven in the snow.

I don't know that I would ever say one is better than the other, just one might be more "suitable" for a particular need than the other.

I bought a 75D and am very happy with my choice. But as stated previously, the best decision all depends on your circumstances. If you'll be relying on Superchargers for most or all of your charging, the bigger battery will come in very handy to minimize how often you have to charge. For someone like myself that charges at home, the extra capacity wouldn't do much for me since I can effortlessly plug in every night.

@Zooomer I'm very much interested in what you say.
Can you please compare (based on the same route) how many kWh a 75 is using compared to the 100, and give us the numbers?
Because it looks to me that you are comparing a Performance model (3 engines) with a standard one (2 engines), while @skrobo is trying to compare standard models (S75D and S100D)
Thanks
A P100D (or any other Tesla P model) does not have 3 motors. The rear motor is bigger.

The 100D will be substantially quicker, it will charge more quickly when looking at miles of range per minute of charge. It is quicker because the battery pack supplies a higher voltage. I don't have any experience charging a 100D with 120 house current. I charge my 75D with 120V and I see about 4 miles of range per hour of charge.

The uncorked 75D is quick. The 100D is quicker, though. The barrety capacity is ~1/3 higher.

You'll be happy with either, I'm sure.

The 100D will be substantially quicker, it will charge more quickly when looking at miles of range per minute of charge. It is quicker because the battery pack supplies a higher voltage. I don't have any experience charging a 100D with 120 house current. I charge my 75D with 120V and I see about 4 miles of range per hour of charge.

The uncorked 75D is quick. The 100D is quicker, though. The barrety capacity is ~1/3 higher.

You'll be happy with either, I'm sure.

Wat?

The 100D 0.1s faster than the 75D - 4.1s vs 4.2s. Imperceptible. So absolutely not "substantially quicker."

The 100D will charge faster because of the battery pack. This matters most when supercharging and is a nice benefit.