Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah Toyotas are boss. In reality I probably didnt need to trade it out and it might even go another 10-15 years with the right person but I dont feel like dealing with the mechanical issues that might start creeping up, and I thought the resale value/trade in value would be next to nothing in 3 years.

I got $3k for it at the dealer so that covered the $2k due at signing payment and the first 5 months of the lease... And I have a no hassle return come 3 years from now when the 3 is (hopefully) running off the production lines.

Official Countdown to the Model 3 Debut at the Geneva Auto Show

I am unclear on what makes this thread "official". That implies that it was initiated by Tesla, which it obviously was not.
The Model 3 will definitely not be initially shown at any auto show. Tesla does their own reveal events, as evidenced by the S and X launches. They are not a traditional car company.

I am unclear on what makes this thread "official". That implies that it was initiated by Tesla, which it obviously was not.
The Model 3 will definitely not be initially shown at any auto show. Tesla does their own reveal events, as evidenced by the S and X launches. They are not a traditional car company.

If we're talking about Tesla prototypes, then both the S and X were displayed at auto shows well in advance of their own "launch" event. Actually the Model S prototype(s) toured the country as a "dog and pony" show and tell. With the Model 3 needing to garner broad market appeal, I have no doubt we'll see the prototype at an auto show in either January 2016, or March 2016. And deposits will begin to be accepted in March 2016. The number of deposits taken will let Tesla (and investors) know how much appeal the car will have. Comments on the prototype will give Tesla feedback on how to tweak the design so the car will appeal to the broadest set of potential customers.

If we're talking about Tesla prototypes, then both the S and X were displayed at auto shows well in advance of their own "launch" event. Actually the Model S prototype(s) toured the country as a "dog and pony" show and tell. With the Model 3 needing to garner broad market appeal, I have no doubt we'll see the prototype at an auto show in either January 2016, or March 2016. And deposits will begin to be accepted in March 2016. The number of deposits taken will let Tesla (and investors) know how much appeal the car will have. Comments on the prototype will give Tesla feedback on how to tweak the design so the car will appeal to the broadest set of potential customers.

I hope you're right and I can change my countdown. I can't take all this waiting.

I hope you're right and I can change my countdown. I can't take all this waiting.

He is not. Both TMS and TMX prototypes was displayed at auto shows *after* they was shown at a reveal event at Tesla, but before the "lunch" event at production start. So you can be sure that they will show the prototype for TM3 on auto shows after the initial reveal at Tesla in march 2016 and before it is "lunched" in late 2017.

If, and that's a HUGE "if", the Model 3 appears at the Geneva Auto Show, that would mean that the Hawthorne reveal would likely come the night of Thursday, March 3rd. But I really can't imaging the first auto show the Model 3 shows up at would be in Switzerland. Sorry, I just don't see that being the case, though they might surprise me.

If I remember correctly, Tesla has a history of doing Thursday night launch events. That does narrow it down to one of 5 days. I would imagine that they already know 95% what the 3 will ultimately look like, and they already have a pretty good idea what the various amenities will be. Since the reveal is just something to tide over the waiting public, close will be good enough. With that in mind, I don't think March 3 or March 31st will make a difference to them since it's all just for show at that point anyway.

It'll probably just come down to how Elon's schedule looks in March, nothing more.

As for having "Official" in the thread title, I had a bit of a problem with that, too. It's far from official -- even if we did know when the reveal would be. Which we don't. Plus the statement that the 3 would be in the Geneva auto show, which it probably won't.

So let's break it down:
Official ..........................................................No, it's far from it.
Countdown to the Model 3 Debut ........................You can't count down to a date that's not disclosed.
at the Geneva Auto Show ..................................Probably won't even be there.

One thing I hate about countdowns is that they often build up the suspense too much. This often leads to disappointment, especially if the deadline passes with no announcement or if said announcement is under-whelming.

I prefer surprises. :biggrin: