Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
27/52, I had obsessive thoughts of buying a 17 volt yesterday. Someone talk me off the ledge!!
A co-worker just traded in his first gen Volt for a Volkswagen. He said that he has been extremely disappointed in how Chevrolet handles Volt customers. Specifically, when he bought it he was made multiple promises about future software updates to the car, none of which materialized.

And bear in mind, Chevy is only forecasting the sale of about 30,000 of the new Bolt. Plus, I don't think I've ever even seen a Volt commercial. These are compliance cars for Chevy. They're not meant to be huge sellers, huge money makers, or hugely satisfying vehicles. Yeah, the new Volts look really nice, but if they aren't getting manufacturer support at the level they should, or anywhere close to the level of a Tesla, why put yourself through it?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Nice to meet everyone. I have become kind of obsessed with Tesla, solar and electric mobility so I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place. To prevent myself from over paying for daily transport with a Model S. I traded in my much loved Porsche Boxster and did a 3 year lease a BMW 335i in August last year. It was time to transition into a family car. I got the added bonus of being contractually tied to something or I'm fairly certain I would have broke down and bought the S at $80-90k. Sure hope I can get the Model 3 on or before August in 2018 or I'm going to predicament on how I'm getting to work each day. What does one do for short term auto needs? Do the rental companies do reasonable monthly rentals? Uber or Lyft will not be an option for me due to my location and need for flexible transport.

Darn excited to see the Model3 "pictures" in March. Going to pre-order as soon as the system is opened.

My predictions:
March 24th debut with a physical car not just pictures.
Initial pilot production late 2017. Volume production in Q2 2018.
Supercharging will be standard at no additional cost even on the base no options $35k model. All Tesla moving forward will have Supercharging by default.
On the fence if there will be Signature Series. Make sense to do one from business perspective but as the "affordable" car it might hurt the messaging to offer a Signature.
The $7500 tax credit will be gone before Model 3 get's into volume production. The reduced tax credit will be available for those who take delivery in 2018.

Think about how much engineering, sweat and tears is going into the Model 3 development. When in history do you have a car introduction that is so important to the future of an auto company and the central thesis of it's mission statement. Your typical model refresh or new car introduction will pale in comparison to what will be the Model 3. This is the big one for Tesla and will be special. Can't wait!!!

Another lurker/first time poster here! I'm the guy who would go to the Tesla and Apple Stores while my family went to the mall. Mostly dreaming but really liking what I saw and the idea of it all. With the Model 3 I am now in the seriously considering mode. Anxiously waiting the announcements in late March!
I'm keeping an eye on these threads and learning a lot along the way!

Another lurker/first time poster here! I'm the guy who would go to the Tesla and Apple Stores while my family went to the mall. Mostly dreaming but really liking what I saw and the idea of it all. With the Model 3 I am now in the seriously considering mode. Anxiously waiting the announcements in late March!
I'm keeping an eye on these threads and learning a lot along the way!

Welcome! You're definitely in the right place. And yes, I'm that guy too... I work about 5 minutes away from a Tesla mall store, and there have been more than one occasion where I'm out on an afternoon coffee run and I "just happen" to wander into the store. Also, my wife finds my unexpected enthusiasm to handle her Macy's returns quite perplexing.

27/52, I had obsessive thoughts of buying a 17 volt yesterday. Someone talk me off the ledge!!

26/51

Bigbear, don't do it. Just think of the inherent inefficiency of including both a gas engine and a battery.
I came to this conclusion about my current Accord Hybrid. I like the car, but I can't help constantly reminding myself that there's extra weight and extra complexity there. Not to mention the disappointment I feel once the gas engine decides to turn on. It's a compromise of a vehicle.

Given the chance, I don't think I'd buy the hybrid again. I'd likely just tough it out in my Buick Rendezvous and save enough to buy the Model 3 cash.
You have the benefit of knowing about the Model 3 while making your decision! Learn from my cautionary tale!

It sounds like these guys are just speculating based on past history, not based on any facts or real information regarding the Model 3 itself. These kinds of articles really infuriate me because they're pushing fear about something of which they really have no idea what's going to happen.