Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like I'm moving on...

Would you get another Tesla?

• Yes

Votes: 98 69.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 14.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is the only real disappointment for me. It’s lovely, apart from the phantom braking, which means that my family (rightly) won’t let me use it on our trip away. Therefore rendered useless. Hopefully it’ll be debugged in time.
I always explain to nervous passengers (ie my Mother) that the braking is just the car being overly cautious, and that's much better than being overly confident, and that put her mind at ease. On my regular 350 mile drive I might get 1 or 2 phantom braking events, usually caused by lorries drifting in their lanes - and you come to learn when it's going to do it and be ready on the accelerator pedal to counter it

more slow chargers (tethered ones!) in places like hotels, campsites, public car parks,

Yes ^^^

That's dictated several hotel choices for me and makes for a far more relaxed experience. Also you can check ahead that the equipment is working and it reduces stress on battery into the bargain.

It does raise maintenance issues for exposed public locations like public carparks, and the ChargeYourCar network is an example of numerous charge points grouped in a disparate network that imo fails to inspire confidence.

Reactions: adsheff
That's all lovely, and I'm sure you get along just fine doing that, but I feel like your detracting from my point for no reason. It is just simply quicker and easier if the charger is tethered.
Except they would be broken a lot more often if they had a cable. It would get damaged. Cut off and sold for scrap etc. I'm good with the bring your own model.

I always explain to nervous passengers (ie my Mother) that the braking is just the car being overly cautious, and that's much better than being overly confident, and that put her mind at ease. On my regular 350 mile drive I might get 1 or 2 phantom braking events, usually caused by lorries drifting in their lanes - and you come to learn when it's going to do it and be ready on the accelerator pedal to counter it
She might buy it but the truth is the car has got it wrong and one persons ‘overly cautious’ phantom braking is another’s ‘close to being rear ended’ which is far from safe

Well, I got a small surprise today. When I leased my M3P 18 months ago, I had an option to extend for a third year. On enquiring today, that option has been removed, so I need to hand it back on 8th December. Having looked at current lease costs, I can't find anything much less than about 11.5k per annum. That's too much, so I won't be leasing another one. So, buy one? Probably not. It's a great car, but could be better. Over the 18 months I've had it, I've found that the noise levels (in particular recently the wind noise at the top of the drivers window), are annoying me more and more, along with a few other more minor niggles. If I thought this was improved with the latest ones, I would consider it. However, it still seems to be a lottery what you get.

I find myself now looking at other options, but in truth there's still not much out there that I like (I want to stick with electric). So, a poll question. When you come to changing your car, would you get another Tesla?
I would ask why they want for it, if it’s a beam counter that bases it on ICE residuals you might get a decent offer.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Tax status on a lease used to mean that the vehicle subject of the lease could only be sold to another business user at the end of the lease. i.e. an unconnected party.

Rules may be different these days as it is some time since I had any involvement in such matters.

Well, I got a small surprise today. When I leased my M3P 18 months ago, I had an option to extend for a third year. On enquiring today, that option has been removed, so I need to hand it back on 8th December. Having looked at current lease costs, I can't find anything much less than about 11.5k per annum. That's too much, so I won't be leasing another one. So, buy one? Probably not. It's a great car, but could be better. Over the 18 months I've had it, I've found that the noise levels (in particular recently the wind noise at the top of the drivers window), are annoying me more and more, along with a few other more minor niggles. If I thought this was improved with the latest ones, I would consider it. However, it still seems to be a lottery what you get.

I find myself now looking at other options, but in truth there's still not much out there that I like (I want to stick with electric). So, a poll question. When you come to changing your car, would you get another Tesla?
Who is your broker / funder? I just went through the same crap a couple of months ago with my broker- Drive Electric, they said LeasePlan refused the extension because i had less than 6 months left on my lease. They told me to keep the car at the end of the lease and it will continue on a monthly basis, the only issue is that lease plan can give me 7 days notice that they want the car back.

The other night i took a punt and used leaseplan's webchat to ask the question directly, by the end of it they emailed drive electric for me and two days later i had the two quotes i asked for which was a 6 month and 12 month extension. Ive signed the 12 month extension and it saves me £47 a month.

I was like you, unsure what to get and the same lease deal i have at the moment is now at least £200 a month more. Because of COVID I have only done 16k miles in 2 years, I should be on 22-23k by now.

At least here in America you can’t buy your car. Ridiculous.
you may not be able to do that if you lease from Tesla but here in the UK we have a thriving third party lease ecosystem so many people leasing including the OP I am guessing did not lease direct from Tesla so what you can and cannot do such as buy the car is entirely down to the lease company.

Well I’ve never noticed a problem with DC rapids that all have tethered cables. Their cables don’t get cut off and sold for scrap as far as I know!
I doubt its common but its one more thing NOT to worry about as a provider if there is no cable.
DC suppliers don't have much choice but to include a cable really I'm sure if it was not necessary they would not. Its extra cost, extra maintenance, extra thing to break, easily damaged etc. The only argument in favour ( from the charge point owners POV) is you don't get the problem of failure to unlock and calls from irate owners who cannot remove their cable from the charger.
Maybe the best reason is if you were going to tether a public AC charger what cable would you be using? there are still a lot of cars out there that are not typeII. Are you going to put multiple cables on each charge point? More cost etc.
I am all in favour of annoying outlander owners by just including typeII but its not in the charge point suppliers interest to limit their market

I intend to keep my M3P- for a long time.
When it comes to replacing it, I’m not sure I’ll get another Tesla unless their build and interior quality is drastically improved, it gets a lot quieter inside and stupid Tesla foibles like the insane vampire drain get fixed.
I’m on holidays and I’ve dropped my car off at the airport 3 weeks ago with around 60% charge.
It’s now sitting at around 25%. I should be able to reach the nearest supercharger but having to worry about it at all is unacceptable.
Also, their customer service needs to improve pretty bloody drastically before I even consider going near them again.
I love my car but I’m hoping by the time it’s due to be replaced VW will have a compelling offering.