Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing almost 1 mile an hour while car is idling, is that normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to TeslaFi - I parked my P85D with 160.2 rated miles at a garage at work, and returned to the car about 7 hours later with remaining 154 rated miles. is it normal for the car to lose so many miles just standing there?
The only caveat that I can think of is that there is no cell service in the garage at all, however I am still extremely concerned with how fast the battery is losing range just standing there.

We just came back from 6 days trip and left our MS75 in the garage. it only lost 4.25 mi in 147.8 hrs based on Stats App.
I turned on Power Saving mode and kept it like that since delivery. (recommended by a colleague at Tesla Battery group)
One drawback, it does take a few seconds for the car to start-up from sleep but it saves your battery.

• Informative
Reactions: nsxpert
I'd say it's normal. My cell phone loses charge all day, too. It's a battery thing.

"Idling" sounds like a gas car. The car is on all the time unless you do a full shut down.
I was referring to the TeslaFi state of the car, my understanding is they use - sleep, idling, driving, charging states.

While I understand the idea of always on, it's unclear to me wether the rate I am seeing my battery draining is sane.

We just came back from 6 days trip and left our MS75 in the garage. it only lost 4.25 mi in 147.8 hrs based on Stats App.
I turned on Power Saving mode and kept it like that since delivery. (recommended by a colleague at Tesla Battery group)
One drawback, it does take a few seconds for the car to start-up from sleep but it saves your battery.
How long do you say it takes for the car to start up ? and also, are all of the features in the app still functional such as being able to warm up the car from the phone ?

I was referring to the TeslaFi state of the car, my understanding is they use - sleep, idling, driving, charging states.

While I understand the idea of always on, it's unclear to me wether the rate I am seeing my battery draining is sane.

How long do you say it takes for the car to start up ? and also, are all of the features in the app still functional such as being able to warm up the car from the phone ?
i'd say it takes about 5 seconds for it to start up after you go in and press the brake.
The app features still functional, what you will see (at least on iOS widgets), tesla widget will show the car as "asleep", and it will start up the car when you actually go open up the app (the same few seconds delay with a notice - "starting up car")

If you have intelligent preconditioning on and received a recent update there may be a bug where the heat comes on uselessly. Exemple: parked in a garage where it's 60F and the heat turns on to keep the car at 70F for hours. Solution is to disable intelligent preconditiong or to temporarily turn it off, reinstall app and then reactivate the feature.

Last edited:
If you have intelligent preconditioning on and received a recent update there may be a bug where the heat comes on uselessly. Exemple: parked in a garage where it's 60F and the heat turns on and to keep the car at 70F for hours. Solution is to disable intelligent preconditiong or to temporarily turn it off, reinstall app and then reactivate the feature.
Thats turned off too along with the heat protection.. its really odd as the last 1h I didnt change anything and its now slowed down. Will continue monitoring.

If you have "Always connected" on and "Energy Saving" set to off 1 mile per hour of vampire drain is about right. If you have "Always Connected" off and "Energy Saving" on it should be more like a mile every 6-12 hours. However if it is extremely cold out it can be more as the car will try to prevent the battery from getting to cold.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
My car in the last day: (always connected off and no preconditioning) sleeping versus parking/idle range loss (per Teslafi)
upload_2018-2-16_12-3-55.png

upload_2018-2-16_12-1-59.png

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Do you keep energy saving mode on ?
Yes. Only have the Tesla App and the Teslafi 'pinging' the car. Many apps will keep the car awake and that will suck power faster than you might think. Teslafi is good about letting the car sleep (if you turn that mode on). The tesla app, I only fire up when want to pre-condition prior to a drive. Every Time you open the tesla app, the car make stay in idle for up to two hours.

If you are not sure what might be keeping your car awake and you have all the various energy saving features turned on in the car, change your tesla.com password, then all tokens are expired in all the various apps and websites and can no longer keep your car awake.

Even if the car is asleep, 95% of the time it is awake enough for me to get in a drive right away as it starts waking up as you as you approach the car with the fob in your pocket. The other 5%, I have to wait the five seconds for the car to finish waking up.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and ig_epower