TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Losing AP after supercharging

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mnpT, Jun 3, 2017.

1. mnpT

mnpT Member

I have a new two week old MS75 and running into an intermittent issue that I don't see being reported earlier(?). I am on 17.16.35 - not sure why the latest version was not installed before delivery.

I have Supercharged 5 times so far -30-100mi charges . Couple of times right after sc I see ap disabled. No lines, speed limit, nothing. Except for object detection. Tried rebooting, restarting. Only way so far was to head back and reconnect at SC for a min and AP got enabled.
    Any ideas.

2. woodturnerdude

Call Tesla Support at 877-798-3752 or contact your local service center on Monday

3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah this is almost certainly the AP2 "autopilot not available" software bug that was fixed in 17.17.x.

4. mnpT

mnpT Member

Thanks. I will call and see if they can force the latest update-I know, it will come when it comes. ...

5. drklain

drklain Member

Definitely call service. There is more than a bug out there. My car needed an electronic module replaced (done under warranty) and then this intermittent problem went away.

6. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

#6 verygreen, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    This has all the signs of your AP computer crashing 3 times in a row and entering disabling state until it's turned off.
    Possibly due to overheating (no user visible logs to confirm, but Tesla gets a report).
    I noticed when supercharging that pretty soon into it fans start screaming like crazy so I imagine on marginal builds or in real hot weather
    overheating might indeed occur.

Let the car cool some and then turn it off from the cid, wait about 2 minutes (once you hear a sudden loud fan noise from glove compartment area that lasts about a second or two and disappears - you know the AP computer was turned off. Wait 10 more seconds press the brake pedal and if the temperature dropped low enough already, things will work as expected until the rest of your drive.

I guess another interesting experiment is to turn up AC cooling to 11 and see if that helps, which would then confirm APE overheating theory.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Yeah do that. They can force update remotely. Did it for me a few months back for an unrelated issue.