Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing interest in the Tesla Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All kinds of people in this world, which is what makes it interesting. And yes, some people value showing off, so let them. Personally, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, attached is a picture of the highest and lowest trim Model S I've owned: P85D and S60, you figure out which one is which if you can. ;) Btw, I'm not trying to have a "sleeper car", I just liked the S60 look, so continued with it. I also tend to like clean, debadged looks on all my cars. That said, just because I don't value showing off, doesn't mean I don't think Tesla should offer show off options - if someone is willing to give them money just to show off, why not take the money and put it to good use like furthering technology progress. Porsche is a good example, they have both, functional features (tech package, engine power, etc) and show off features (body kits, gold plated emblems) and there are customers for both.

View attachment 386778
I would have been happy with a leaf, if it wasn't for the difference in crash worthiness. That's how humble I am.;)

Model Y leaves me totally underwhelmed.

Given the lack of competition all Tesla had to do was announce a slightly larger Model 3, which is what they did.

I still think for around the same money, some may go for the IQ-C, i-Pace, or E-tron for the interior even if it means they get less range and performance.

My biggest dissapointment had nothing to do with the Model Y, but I was hoping for a Model S refresh and the restoration of the sunroof as an available option.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
The model Y was for all the people who bought a model 3 because it was more affordable then an S but really wanted something larger. The model Y is for all the people holding out on buying a Tesla because they want a crossover.

The model Y was not for me, and thats totally fine. The mode Y is the iPhone 7 of it's product lineup. It's a good thing, it's a great thing, I don't care about it much at all. As they make cheaper cars, they will most certainly be less interesting. the model 3 broke the mold and we got used to it, if the Y had been first people would have lost their minds over the design of the dash, but now its "old hat". they don't have to blow us away with each thing, and in fact I wish they didn't have to make a 35k car, but I'm being a snob. I would prefer Tesla's stay more rare, but as they become far more normal, they will slowly get less interesting, but Tesla will scale and make more money based on scale alone. We have left the "small club hype, feel special" phase. MAYBE the pickup truck will have that vibe, only because Elon has said its for fun and he's not designing it to scale, it may well be the X of it's time, and the X is still a unicorn.

I'm still placing my bet on Tesla. They have years of experience compared to others that are trying to get into the ev game even if they are an OEM of ice cars.
I'm not as enthusiastic. Having owned different cars in the past from a range of manufacturers and range of prices, I have to say that Tesla's advantage is the EV drivetrain (which includes battery and charging). Everything else, from the point of view of a driver, has been done better by one or more of the other manufacturers. The large screen had some great potential when there was supposed to have apps, but after 7 years it's just an oversized nav+media player - some new cars today have large screens and have done the UX better too (especially when compared to v9). So the question really will be how long before the other guys catch up on EV tech experience. I say experience, not necessarily efficiency of production, cost or other factors, because that is what matters to the driver. If I can have an etron with the same range as my S75D for the same price, I don't really care if it's less efficient and battery had to be bigger (actually bigger battery means less susceptible to weather). As long as the driving experience is the same, customer is happy. The supercharger network is an advantage Tesla has, but the other guys are catching up on that too, plus it's not as important to everybody as not everyone supercharges (my wife has been driving a Tesla since Dec 2016, she has yet to ever charge outside of the house, even though she used to regularly do >200 miles one or two days a week (drive about 120 miles in the morning, come home for 3-5 hrs, drive another 100 miles) - there was also no superchargers around for her to use until few months ago too, now there are 2, she has free supercharging, yet she's never even been tempted to use them. It's nice to know we can use them if we do want to make a farther trip, but I did drive an S60 in 2013 and made it work with it too.

Reactions: Droschke and am_dmd
How long will it take the other guys to build 12k SC? Tesla will have MC by then...
What's a 12k supercharger (because Tesla does not have 12,000 superchargers today - 624 in the US, 1477 worldwide)?

PS> If you want to see what the other guys are planning in USA and how they are doing, here is the biggest US competitor to superchargers: Our Plan | Electrify America

I'm not as enthusiastic. Having owned different cars in the past from a range of manufacturers and range of prices, I have to say that Tesla's advantage is the EV drivetrain (which includes battery and charging). Everything else, from the point of view of a driver, has been done better by one or more of the other manufacturers. The large screen had some great potential when there was supposed to have apps, but after 7 years it's just an oversized nav+media player - some new cars today have large screens and have done the UX better too (especially when compared to v9). So the question really will be how long before the other guys catch up on EV tech experience. I say experience, not necessarily efficiency of production, cost or other factors, because that is what matters to the driver. If I can have an etron with the same range as my S75D for the same price, I don't really care if it's less efficient and battery had to be bigger (actually bigger battery means less susceptible to weather). As long as the driving experience is the same, customer is happy. The supercharger network is an advantage Tesla has, but the other guys are catching up on that too, plus it's not as important to everybody as not everyone supercharges (my wife has been driving a Tesla since Dec 2016, she has yet to ever charge outside of the house, even though she used to regularly do >200 miles one or two days a week (drive about 120 miles in the morning, come home for 3-5 hrs, drive another 100 miles) - there was also no superchargers around for her to use until few months ago too, now there are 2, she has free supercharging, yet she's never even been tempted to use them. It's nice to know we can use them if we do want to make a farther trip, but I did drive an S60 in 2013 and made it work with it too.
But the expectation is that they won't be able to profitably make EVs or offer anything as good as Tesla for around the same price anytime soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid