Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing interest in the Tesla Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the company has changed in some very significant ways. Unfortunately not always for the better.
Sure, but that's been the plan. Musk doesn't want to make cars for rich people he wants to get people driving electric cars. But I'm one of the new unwashed masses that only paid 80k for a car so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

I think the most important aspect of losing interest is not all the broken promises but Tesla is becoming boring. I liked having a unique vehicle but dumping hundreds of thousands of inexpensive cars out there that all look the same bores me. If Tesla does not come out with something real exciting and special most others that spent $100k on Tesla cars in the past will lose interest as well.
You're 100% right. Let's think about this... you spend over $120k on a P100D yet it looks no different than a budget configured 75D. Tesla's cars are becoming (forgive the pun) pedestrian. I'm sad to say that I'm far more interested in what Porsche/Audi have in the pipeline than Tesla. I have almost zero interest in Model Y because, well, it's Tesla. That means it will make (and break) delivery promises, regularly miss production goals by citing excuses, offer options nobody wants while not offering options most people want, and will be offered initially only its most expensive trim package. It's getting old, people, and not in a good way.

You're 100% right. Let's think about this... you spend over $120k on a P100D yet it looks no different than a budget configured 75D. Tesla's cars are becoming (forgive the pun) pedestrian. I'm sad to say that I'm far more interested in what Porsche/Audi have in the pipeline than Tesla. I have almost zero interest in Model Y because, well, it's Tesla. That means it will make (and break) delivery promises, regularly miss production goals by citing excuses, offer options nobody wants while not offering options most people want, and will be offered initially only its most expensive trim package. It's getting old, people, and not in a good way.

I'm still a huge fan and I love my car, but I think there is something to this. I don't care about arguments of people wanting to show off or be snobby etc. It is what it is, people like showing off, people like being different. I'm a stock holder so I want to sell people more stuff.

I hope that gen 2 of the tesla vehicles will have something similar to the other makers. Take the M cars from BMW. It's not just performance, they make sure that casual observers can see a difference. ( I think the average person probably has no idea what it means so aren't all that impressed, but it's different). There is no reason why the P cars can't start to have their own unique styling points.

Reactions: BestRadar
Tesla is an uncontrolled train wreck at this point. I'm one of Tesla's biggest fans, but they need to dump Musk. He is now Tesla's biggest liability and largest obstacle to profitability and stability. Some call him a genius. I say he is not fit to be CEO and has proven that to everyone repeatedly. From his emotional outbursts at analysts during earnings calls, to SEC violations, to engaging in behavior unbecoming of a CEO (smoking pot, really?). It's fine if he wants to live on the edge like this, but not while he is CEO of a publicly traded company on which many depend for their livelihoods. He needs to pick one, he can't have both. He's running Tesla into the ground.

None of the above bothers me, about Musk, and it's been his style to keep Tesla controversial and in the press. He has managed a lot of free press and doesn't have a pot problem, nor any material ethical issues, in my view. Even the 692HP thing was "motor power" and a marketing (not Elon) blunder, in Europe. I respect the FSD saga, the service short-fall more (thanks to X) and generally have some differences over mobile enthusiasm (like, did he ever have any).

I thought you were going to critique his strategy blunders. Now, there's some meat on that bone. Whichever the case,

Tesla is an uncontrolled train wreck at this point. I'm one of Tesla's biggest fans, but they need to dump Musk. He is now Tesla's biggest liability and largest obstacle to profitability and stability. Some call him a genius. I say he is not fit to be CEO and has proven that to everyone repeatedly. From his emotional outbursts at analysts during earnings calls, to SEC violations, to engaging in behavior unbecoming of a CEO (smoking pot, really?). It's fine if he wants to live on the edge like this, but not while he is CEO of a publicly traded company on which many depend for their livelihoods. He needs to pick one, he can't have both. He's running Tesla into the ground.

None of the above bothers me, about Musk, and it's been his style to keep Tesla controversial and in the press. He has managed a lot of free press and doesn't have a pot problem, nor any material ethical issues, in my view. Even the 692HP thing was "motor power" and a marketing (not Elon) blunder, in Europe. I respect the FSD saga, the service short-fall more (thanks to X) and generally have some differences over mobile enthusiasm (like, did he ever have any).

I thought you were going to critique his strategy blunders. Now, there's some meat on that bone. Whichever the case, it has gotten easer to imagine Tesla in better hands. Getting M3 over the finish line was the goal. So, what gives?

Reactions: Droschke
I'm just blown away at how negative some of you are.

One poster put down Musk for smoking pot... Like that is somehow some massive deal when we have alcoholics around every corner.

Tesla is the ONLY pure Electric Vehicle company that has basically given us amazing cars and an even better charging infrastructure to sustain them. What else do you want? My Model S is probably the best thing I have ever owned and been a part of. It brings me nothing but joy every time I drive it, park it, and even charge it.

Some of you are forgetting that just because you missed out on the latest deals doesn't mean you missed out on the entire experience. You still drive a TESLA. Not everyone can say that.

Actually a P100D is even more boring than a standard model S because you can no longer even get the wood trim and seat color you want for a P100D. If you get a standard Model S you can select whatever wood trim you want and whatever seat color you want, but oh no, if you want a P100D you are stuck with a black or white interior and carbon fiber trim. o_O

And you can no longer get a sunroof no matter what model you buy!

Facing constant hostility by all sides from day 1, it's amazing what Tesla has accomplished so far. It's entirely OK to point out the shortcomings and demand correction/perfection, but the company really needs to be supported by its customers.

Absolutely spot on true.

The problem is that Tesla needs to understand this too ... and it absolutely doesn't - beyond a few cheap publicity tricks.

Actually a P100D is even more boring than a standard model S because you can no longer even get the wood trim and seat color you want for a P100D. If you get a standard Model S you can select whatever wood trim you want and whatever seat color you want, but oh no, if you want a P100D you are stuck with a black or white interior and carbon fiber trim. o_O

And you can no longer get a sunroof no matter what model you buy!

Seems to me that he is purposely trying to move people to the 100 and minimize the P production, by less choices. I'm sure launching is hard on warrantied parts and maybe 2.4 seconds served it's purpose to show what elect can do. Make some Ps for the people who just have to have them, keep the speed reputation, and publicity, but try to keep the majority in the 100. Just my guess.

Seems to me that he is purposely trying to move people to the 100 and minimize the P production, by less choices. I'm sure launching is hard on warrantied parts and maybe 2.4 seconds served it's purpose to show what elect can do. Make some Ps for the people who just have to have them, keep the speed reputation, and publicity, but try to keep the majority in the 100. Just my guess.
That doesn't make sense given they recently made the P models cheaper and much closer in price to non-P. If they wanted to sell less of them, they would have kept the prices or at least the price difference between the P and non-P as high as before.

As for making it look different, personally I don't care at all (I deleted my P85D red calipers to make it look identical to the S60 it was replacing, I happen to like the clean look - also deleted all badging from all 4 Teslas I bought), but as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, a lot of people are vain and like to pay to show off. Maybe Tesla should add a $10,000 body kit option available only on P car orders - could be good revenue generator, $1,000 worth of plastics for $10, 000 price. Maybe include an "I have a Performance Tesla" screensaver option in the Tesla app for the phone too, for $999 extra (similar to the "I am rich" app).

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and emmz0r
I'm just blown away at how negative some of you are.

One poster put down Musk for smoking pot... Like that is somehow some massive deal when we have alcoholics around every corner.

Tesla is the ONLY pure Electric Vehicle company that has basically given us amazing cars and an even better charging infrastructure to sustain them. What else do you want? My Model S is probably the best thing I have ever owned and been a part of. It brings me nothing but joy every time I drive it, park it, and even charge it.

Some of you are forgetting that just because you missed out on the latest deals doesn't mean you missed out on the entire experience. You still drive a TESLA. Not everyone can say that.
Couldn't agree more. Reading some of these snobby posts, I feel like I should hang my head in shame for 'just' having an S75 because it looks like a P100D.

Good grief, some people saw value in greater range, dual motors and faster acceleration and decided it was worth paying for it. Isn't that enough? Do these things need to be emblazoned on the car so that everyone can see how much you spent on the car? Unreal.

We have a particular snobby friend who, although admitting that a Hyundai PHEV is a nice car, his wife would never allow a 'Hyundai' in their driveway (they drive Mercedes). When I hear comments like this, I feel my food coming up in my mouth.

Reactions: aerodyne
Couldn't agree more. Reading some of these snobby posts, I feel like I should hang my head in shame for 'just' having an S75 because it looks like a P100D.

Good grief, some people saw value in greater range, dual motors and faster acceleration and decided it was worth paying for it. Isn't that enough? Do these things need to be emblazoned on the car so that everyone can see how much you spent on the car? Unreal.

We have a particular snobby friend who, although admitting that a Hyundai PHEV is a nice car, his wife would never allow a 'Hyundai' in their driveway (they drive Mercedes). When I hear comments like this, I feel my food coming up in my mouth.

All kinds of people in this world, which is what makes it interesting. And yes, some people value showing off, so let them. Personally, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, attached is a picture of the highest and lowest trim Model S I've owned: P85D and S60, you figure out which one is which if you can. ;) Btw, I'm not trying to have a "sleeper car", I just liked the S60 look, so continued with it. I also tend to like clean, debadged looks on all my cars. That said, just because I don't value showing off, doesn't mean I don't think Tesla should offer show off options - if someone is willing to give them money just to show off, why not take the money and put it to good use like furthering technology progress. Porsche is a good example, they have both, functional features (tech package, engine power, etc) and show off features (body kits, gold plated emblems) and there are customers for both.

Teslas1&2.png

Last edited: