Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing major amounts of mileage while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions.

I do have a Faraday pouch and will put the key fob in that tonight to see if that makes a difference.

The car lost another 8 miles last night. It was parked in the garage from 3 PM until this morning when I checked the mileage with the Tesla app. The 8 miles loss is 6.5% for one night. Temperatures last night were low 60s.

After a full week of keeping the log, it will be interesting to see the total weekly loss.

UPDATE AUGUST 28: Kfob was in the faraday pouch last night and the car still managed to lose 11 miles (11%) parked over night (Temp mid-60s). This AM, turned off Sentry. Always connected is not and has not been checked so should not be a culprit. So far since keeping a log, the car has lost 32 miles of range for the 3 nights of parking. Something is definitely wrong!

i was having loss but specifically due to high interior temperatures and parking in the sun (would lose around 10-12 miles during work). the past few days have been around 70 degrees, parked in cover, and i haven't lost 1 mile while at work all day.

I had your problem with my P90D and Tesla came out to the house and tested things. They said the 12 V battery was going out and they replaced it. Of course I still get some drain but much less after a new 12 V battery was installed. This was done under warrantee.

Scott

I had your problem with my P90D and Tesla came out to the house and tested things. They said the 12 V battery was going out and they replaced it. Of course I still get some drain but much less after a new 12 V battery was installed. This was done under warrantee.

Scott
well, that's good to hear because I have scheduled a service visit for September 9 for my 2 year maintenance and have mentioned this as a major 2nd issue to be investigated. I will make sure I have a printed copy of your comment.

no, it is off, and even if it was on, it would not work for me as I don't have a work address. However, with that being said, while the car is parked in the garage, I have noticed that (or my wife would tell me) the air conditioning was on. I still haven't figured why that is happening, especially with preconditioning off.

no, it is off, and even if it was on, it would not work for me as I don't have a work address. However, with that being said, while the car is parked in the garage, I have noticed that (or my wife would tell me) the air conditioning was on. I still haven't figured why that is happening, especially with preconditioning off.
I've never heard that Smart Preconditioning required a work address. It was supposed to just learn your habits but it never worked well.

When you say the air conditioning is on, are you confirming it via the app or are you just going off the sound? If it's trying to cool the cabin then it's either Smart Preconditioning or Keep Climate On/Dog Mode. If the app doesn't show the air conditioner is on then it's probably trying to cool the battery. What's the temperature of your garage? I've heard my car trying to cool the battery when I try to charge in my father's insanely hot, non-vented garage. It seemed to cause a vicious circle of the garage being hot so the car would try to cool the battery. That would then cause the temperature in the garage to increase more...which caused the battery to continue to drain as it ran the cooling system in an effort to cool the battery. Once I opened the garage door and windows, the hot air could escape the garage and eventually the car was able to charge without needing to cool the battery.

2015 S70D
Software: 2019.20.4.2 66625e9
Circumstance: parked overnight, with minimal daily driving
Settings: Energy Savings: ON; Always Connected: checked
Cabin Overheat protection: OFF
Losses:
~0.74 kWh. 2.22 miles lost from 9PM to 9AM​
Big improvements over when I had the Energy Savings off and Overheat protection On. Previously I had been experiencing about 3.0 kWh losses. In all my trials, I am performing about 11 automated checks of the car's status each night. See my previous post, up-thread:

Last edited:
2015 S70D
Software: 2019.20.4.2 66625e9
Losses:
~0.74 kWh. 2.22 miles lost from 9PM to 9AM​
Big improvements over when I had the Energy Savings off and Overheat protection On. Previously I had been experiencing about 3.0 kWh losses. In all my trials, I am performing about 11 automated checks of the car's status each night. See my previous post, up-thread:
Thanks. I will try your settings starting tomorrow and will let you know.

2015 S70D
Software: 2019.32.2.1 9b8d6cd <- New
Losses:
~0.99 kWh. 2.97 miles lost from 9PM to 9AM​

2015 S70D
Software: 2019.32.2.1 9b8d6cd <- New
Losses:
~0.99 kWh. 2.97 miles lost from 9PM to 9AM​
That is certainly a minimal range loss. I am still seeing significant range loss at night on the order of 8% (last night was 9.2 miles from 12:01 AM to 1:34 PM today as reported by TeslaFi). TeslaFi does a marvelous job of summarizing the range losses while parked. Unfortunately, Tesla customer service does not agree with this data saying that the car will demonstrate range loss at night and they don't even blink an eye at the amount of loss in my database. This remains quite concerning.

@Bmac at the risk of asking the obvious. Are you losing 9 miles of RATED or IDEAL range (note these are the US terms. Further confusing it is that European Teslas use the terms IDEAL and ESTIMATED...and IDEAL in Europe is the number called RATED on a US car...no idea why Tesla did this but it further confuses things on a forum like this where people from both Europe and the US (and other places around the world) are sharing ideas).

The reason I ask is that, for a US car -- IDEAL is a totally unrealistic number...at 100% SOC, my 90D has an IDEAL range of over 350 miles, while the RATED range is about 280 (and was 293 when new). I'm just hypothesizing that you are looking at ideal vice rated on your display and thus the loss isn't really 9 miles but something like 3 or 4 if you change it to rated. Again, just another hypothesis. Can you tell us what range you have selected and are reading?

@Bmac at the risk of asking the obvious. Are you losing 9 miles of RATED or IDEAL range (note these are the US terms. Further confusing it is that European Teslas use the terms IDEAL and ESTIMATED...and IDEAL in Europe is the number called RATED on a US car...no idea why Tesla did this but it further confuses things on a forum like this where people from both Europe and the US (and other places around the world) are sharing ideas).

The reason I ask is that, for a US car -- IDEAL is a totally unrealistic number...at 100% SOC, my 90D has an IDEAL range of over 350 miles, while the RATED range is about 280 (and was 293 when new). I'm just hypothesizing that you are looking at ideal vice rated on your display and thus the loss isn't really 9 miles but something like 3 or 4 if you change it to rated. Again, just another hypothesis. Can you tell us what range you have selected and are reading?

For the data I presented in this thread, I was reading directly from the dashboard. To construct a data log, after my final drive for the day I would take a picture of the screen showing the range estimate -- which I assume to be rated miles -- and then would enter this information into the spreadsheet. Since then, I have found that TeslaFi captures this information on an hourly/daily basis and so now I am in the process of utilizing their information to again approach the SC with this concern. TeslaFi reports this as "Range Loss", but I assume this to be rated miles because elsewhere in their reporting when referring to a drive, they will report actual miles driven and rated miles consumed.

I still think I have a significant issue and I'm obviously not doing a good job convincing the service center that something is wrong.

Actually what your dashboard shows could be either rated or ideal miles. You select the option in your display settings (where you select to show range or percent charge). If you select range, you then have buttons appear to select either rated or ideal. Not saying this is the source of your problem, but it is possible.