Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing major amounts of mileage while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that answers that question. Rated is the more conservative of the two (for US cars). At the risk of asking the obvious, have you disabled eveything (shut down TeslaFi, all apps, etc.) and measured reading at night and then again in the morning on the car? That is the best way to try and figure out if your energy loss is due to queries/vampire drain or something else is going on. Also, have you plotted things out, gone several days without charging to see if the loss is consistent overnight?

@drklain -Yes, the first part of my research, that was the process of just using the numbers from the dash, At night and then again in the morning. Through several suggestions in this thread, I eventually had everything turned off, preconditioning, mobile connection, etc.

I mentioned to the service center that other forum posts indicated that a large amount of daily range loss was a possible indicator to a weakening 12 volt battery. The service center tech did not accept that, And indicated my troll full battery was in good shape.

Ugh...really a tough one. One thing you might consider...run the car without charging it for a while. Charge it to 90% and then run it down low (say 10 or 20%) even if it takes a week or more. See how many actual miles you get (as compared to rated and yes, we all know those are not the same). Then charge the car back up to 100% to load balance the battery and do it again. Given the funky math that Tesla uses to calculate range it may be that you are just seeing something funky in the calculations and the range is actually there....

Hi Bmac, any update on your situation? I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms and am curious if this was determined to be a 12V battery issue or a failed temperature sensor somewhere in the cooling system. It seems like either one could result in excessive cooling pump operation and HV battery drain.

The SC said the 12V was fine. I was told that prior to my visit a tech reviewed logs and concluded this vampire drain was normal. While I do not agree - feeling that 8-12 miles per night in a heated garage - is a little too much, I don't have the data availability to argue with the tech's conclusion. I am continuing to collect data (through TeslaFi logs), and will request another visit if the data continues to show this trend.

Hi Bmac
I do actually have the same problem for a few weeks now. I do also hear some strange noise coming from the frunk, while the car is parked (and in sleep mode). Precon is off. Cabin oveheat is off. Energy Saver mode is on. Sentry mode off.

Have you been able to solve your problem yet? I lose some 6% within 24h. Before I did not lose more than 1 to 2% max.

8-12 is not normal. I was getting this when my DCDC converter failed. Basically, the 12v was having to wake the car up really often to keep it charged up. While driving/12v rails engaged, the battery looked fine. 13.5v on the nose, charge float at 14.6v... but the battery was working over time to keep itself charged as the DCDC converter had blown fuses. 1 new battery and 3 new fuses in my DCDC converter and im back to near 0 vamp drain. It took me several months to figure this out, hopefully it helps you.

Reactions: quickstrike12
8-12 is not normal. I was getting this when my DCDC converter failed. Basically, the 12v was having to wake the car up really often to keep it charged up. While driving/12v rails engaged, the battery looked fine. 13.5v on the nose, charge float at 14.6v... but the battery was working over time to keep itself charged as the DCDC converter had blown fuses. 1 new battery and 3 new fuses in my DCDC converter and im back to near 0 vamp drain. It took me several months to figure this out, hopefully it helps you.
Where are these fuses for dcdc converter? Thanks!

@demundus
Does the car not throw any error codes for a DCDC converter that’s not working?
im not sure, since the failure is more about the inability to charge the 12v, along with the other extra DC converted things... the issues are usually:

12v fails, failing, or fails to maintain a charge
heater stops working
(something else that i forgot now, i think related to pack coolant pumps)