Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of refinement between 2020 and 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C089CC0-B9AD-4E4A-90D8-EAC7CBF9DE88.jpeg

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 751887
I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
Michelin AS4’s

• I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others.

Yeah, it's crazy the people who diss CarPlay. Then again it's pretty much only *some* Tesla owners at this point.. everybody else loves it. We've purchased 4 new vehicles since 2018. Two ICE back in 2018.. both eventually traded for two EVs in 2021. Guess which was the only vehicle that didn't come with CarPlay? Having to pick up my iPhone, hold it to my face to unlock it, and then press tiny little app buttons, icons and links just feel ridiculously silly whenever I'm driving my Tesla. It's absolutely a step backward from being able to operate the most popular features from my phone via the huge touchscreen plastered right in the center of the dash. I won't even go into the issues with Bluetooth streaming quality or that sometimes my car doesn't find my phone via BT (even though I know it used BT to unlock & start the vehicle).

Same here with the rattles. Which are a blessing and a curse. Because just when I believe I've found it and fixed it. It comes back later on a different point in the car. I do keep Britax Marathon car seats in Y permanently. The only time I take them out is because one of our twins, has spilled something or had an accident and I need to clean up everything. So either of the car seats could definitely be the culprit, especially considering they are latched onto the rear seat.. which in itself folds down completely. That's a lot of moving parts. That said.. those same car seats.. have been in all 4 of the vehicles I mentioned above.. all SUV-type vehicles with rear flat-folding seats.. and the only rattles have been in the Tesla. I'm almost certain it's a combination of the stiff ride + something with the car seats (or rear seat) that's causing it. I'd be very interested in knowing if either the Model S or X had issues with rattles.. due to the air suspension and softer, more luxurious ride.

As I said earlier, one day when I'm bored enough or just all-out frustrated. I'm literally pulling everything out the back of the car and seeing if that finally fixes it for good. If it does I'll put stuff back in little by little hoping to finally identify it. My wife is just going to have to deal with me driving her car every day until I finish troubleshooting the problem.
I think carplay is junk. At least the version in my Mercedes (arent they all the same?).
Yes, I can run more apps, not just the tesla fed apps, but Im not a fan at all.

I think the Tesla UI is much better. Just need the ability to use different apps.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I think carplay is junk. At least the version in my Mercedes (arent they all the same?).

I think the Tesla UI is much better. Just need the ability to use different apps.
There in-line is the point why Tesla's infotainment sucks. There are no real apps. There is literally no app store.

Tesla gives you the wonderful choice of Spotify, Tune-in Radio, Slacker radio.. or most recently added.. Tidal. Out of all of those audio sources.. the only one that's even remotely popular among typical users is Spotify. And to use Spotify in-car streaming costs $10 a month for Spotify's premium service + $10 for Tesla's premium connectivity.

Why would I pay $20 a month to basically use Spotify in my Tesla.. when I can stream 100's of apps that are free (or already paid for) with CarPlay??

Not only does CarPlay have 100 different audio sources to choose from. The difference between the infotainment options in my Tesla.. and my wife's ID.4 w/CarPlay is absolutely laughable at this point. CarPlay's interface is big & colorful.. and incredibly easy to navigate even while driving. And apps like Spotify actually stream in MUCH higher audio quality.. than they do with Tesla's infotainment (which only streams at 96kbits).. because they arent dependent on Tesla's AT&T throttled LTE signal. CarPlay uses my phone's data connection.. which is unlimited premium data at speeds up to 5G UltrawideBand and on Verizon's beefier network.. which simply allows for much higher streaming of practically any cellular data.

I do agree with your last point.. that Tesla UI is fast & functional. But if you aren't paying $20 a month for Spotify Premium & Tesla premium connectivity.. then it's practically useless. As you can imagine 99% of the time I simply stream Bluetooth audio from my phone. Hence the reason why I need to keep picking up my phone over & over to control my audio selection & playback.. as I pointed out in the post you quoted.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc

Tesla apps can’t remember time point where I paused a podcast or song after leaving app and returning. Not an issue on longer trips but very annoying as Drive around to various work sites or running errands. Missing tons of other abilities carplay /mobile phone apps have. Main reason I use my iphone’s Bluetooth connection for pretty much all music and podcast listening. I messed around with adding a fire HD in my model y to act as a CarPlay screen. Had it working but waiting for more elegant solution which might be released soon and uses the tesla infotainment screen. Tesla built in options just don’t feel solid.

and if Tesla had CarPlay available you wouldn't have to use it so it would 'cost' you nothing.
That's the one thing I DONT understand about literally anybody who complains about CarPlay?

It is 100% optional!! Dont want to ever use it.. then you never have to. You literally never have to click on it.

It really, really, really makes me question how many of these people have ever even used CarPlay? Like there is no reasonable explanation NOT to include it on a new vehicle currently sold. There are no licensing fees involved. It requires no subscription fee. It is 100% optional. And for the automaker, it saves you the headache of having to create/deploy/manage another 3rd party app store.

I mean sure Tesla could (and probably is developing) their own app store. But why try and compete with 3rd party developers for your base of 2million users, when CarPlay & Android Auto already exists and serves billions of users with established car screen-friendly apps & navigation?

I remember when Toyota said CarPlay would never exist in their vehicles, when the competition started buying non-Toyota products because of the lack of CarPlay they quickly changed their minds. Same, but the different scenario for Porsche who didn't want Android Auto in their vehicles because they were scared Google would collect, copy and resell their secret sauce to performance. Fast forward a few years and practically every automaker but Tesla now offers both CP & AA.. and for very good reasons. Consumers keep asking for it!

[...] And to use Spotify in-car streaming costs $10 a month for Spotify's premium service + $10 for Tesla's premium connectivity.

Why would I pay $20 a month to basically use Spotify in my Tesla.. [...]
You don't have to. You can use your cellphone as Wi-Fi hotspot and set it up in your car to remain active while driving (a fairly recent feature). I am listening to Spotify all the time without premium connectivity. This is far better than streaming over Bluetooth, since it sounds much better and you control it with the Tesla UI, just like having premium connectivity.

You don't have to. You can use your cellphone as Wi-Fi hotspot and set it up in your car to remain active while driving (a fairly recent feature). I am listening to Spotify all the time without premium connectivity. This is far better than streaming over Bluetooth, since it sounds much better and you control it with the Tesla UI, just like having premium connectivity.
Some companies, unless you are on a higher tier, charge extra for the Wi-Fi hotspot service.
The second issue is the battery life of the phone.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Some companies, unless you are on a higher tier, charge extra for the Wi-Fi hotspot service.
The second issue is the battery life of the phone.
The other issue is that connecting and disconnecting it can be a hassle. I tried it for a bit then noticed that the car would stay connected to my phone's hotspot after I got home. It kept my phone from connecting to our home and started downloading a software update on the phone's cellular data 😠

That's the one thing I DONT understand about literally anybody who complains about CarPlay?

It is 100% optional!! Dont want to ever use it.. then you never have to. You literally never have to click on it.

It really, really, really makes me question how many of these people have ever even used CarPlay? Like there is no reasonable explanation NOT to include it on a new vehicle currently sold. There are no licensing fees involved. It requires no subscription fee. It is 100% optional. And for the automaker, it saves you the headache of having to create/deploy/manage another 3rd party app store.

I mean sure Tesla could (and probably is developing) their own app store. But why try and compete with 3rd party developers for your base of 2million users, when CarPlay & Android Auto already exists and serves billions of users with established car screen-friendly apps & navigation?

I remember when Toyota said CarPlay would never exist in their vehicles, when the competition started buying non-Toyota products because of the lack of CarPlay they quickly changed their minds. Same, but the different scenario for Porsche who didn't want Android Auto in their vehicles because they were scared Google would collect, copy and resell their secret sauce to performance. Fast forward a few years and practically every automaker but Tesla now offers both CP & AA.. and for very good reasons. Consumers keep asking for it!
So, you complained about people complaining? I wasn't complaining either for the record, simply saying "I don't like it" which is an opinion.

Reality is people want their own apps and the basic ability to resume where those apps left off.
Making that available will remove probably the number one usability gripe that Tesla owners have.

So, you complained about people complaining? I wasn't complaining either for the record, simply saying "I don't like it" which is an opinion.

Reality is people want their own apps and the basic ability to resume where those apps left off.
Making that available will remove probably the number one usability gripe that Tesla owners have.

My entire point.. is that you never have to use it. Even if its added.

Same way 3 of the past 4 cars we owned have supported Android Auto.. and I have literally never bothered with it.

Reactions: HellsKitchen

no - he just doesn't understand why anyone would complain about a feature the don't have to use and won't affect them. It's like someone complaining that the car has cruise control.

I had a 2020 M3LR before and just got my 2022 MYP. I agree 100% that it is sooooo much quieter. I couldn't believe the difference. Total kudos to Tesla on that improvement.

I was very much expecting the MYP to be rough with the suspension, but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's no worse than my Mazda cx7 which isn't saying much.

Are there any notable differences from a 2021 MYLR and a 2022? I am debating of either transferring my MYP reservation and getting a used 2018 S. I do have a 2022 MYLR RES, but with a September delivery. So, I can use the S to hold me over. I had a 2021 MYLR, August 2021 build, and it was a bit too bumpy and plus I sold for more than what I paid.

View attachment 751887

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
Michelin AS4’s

I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)
Thanks for sharing the info. I've been driving my MYP for a week and already love it. Cool car and I'd moved over from MB E550 Cabriolet which at 400+ HP didn't have the pick up that I've got with my MYP.